Refereeing

ref101

I am confused as to some of tne "new" rules I saw utilized this past week in the soccer games I attended.

When did stopping the clock when a goal was scored become a rule? Or when there was an injury? Or when there was a direct kick, penalty kick, and at times team substitutions?

It has always been my understanding (I have been involved in soccer for almost 20 years) that the clock doesn't stop and if need be the referee adds time on at the end of the half if he deems it necessary to compensate for time spent on an injury.

Also, why are the goalkeepers allowed to bounce the ball several times before getting rid of it. I beliee FIFA rules say that once the ball leaves the keepers had it is in play and may not be touched again by the keeper until it is touched by another player.

I would also like to see TSSAA teach their referees better on calling off sides. Most of the refereee I have seen over the past 8 years have not learned what is offside and what is an offside position.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen on teaching offsides. I know our refs keep the official time on the field. We have a scoreboard and clock that we keep but it is really just for the fans and team to have somewhat of an idea of the time left in the game. Is it possible that you just have a time-keeper that is not doing the time right? or do your officials go by the time on the clock instead of keeping their own time?

while we are on the topic:

what is the rule of overtime?

do they automatically play two sessions of overtime, or is it over if someone wins after one overtime?

i also agree with the terrible calls on offsides it seems alot of refs do not understand that the player has to be offsides when the ball is kicked or he/she is not offsides, i also hate when the lines take forever to raise their flags for offsides as well.

I am confused as to some of tne "new" rules I saw utilized this past week in the soccer games I attended.

When did stopping the clock when a goal was scored become a rule? Or when there was an injury? Or when there was a direct kick, penalty kick, and at times team substitutions?

It has always been my understanding (I have been involved in soccer for almost 20 years) that the clock doesn't stop and if need be the referee adds time on at the end of the half if he deems it necessary to compensate for time spent on an injury.

Also, why are the goalkeepers allowed to bounce the ball several times before getting rid of it. I beliee FIFA rules say that once the ball leaves the keepers had it is in play and may not be touched again by the keeper until it is touched by another player.

I would also like to see TSSAA teach their referees better on calling off sides. Most of the refereee I have seen over the past 8 years have not learned what is offside and what is an offside position.

Goalkeepers are allowed to bounce the ball because they are keeping it in possesion. As a keeper you can only posses the ball for 6 seconds. If you place the ball on to the pitch you can not pick it back up.

Amen on teaching offsides. I know our refs keep the official time on the field. We have a scoreboard and clock that we keep but it is really just for the fans and team to have somewhat of an idea of the time left in the game. Is it possible that you just have a time-keeper that is not doing the time right? or do your officials go by the time on the clock instead of keeping their own time?

The entire season up until the tournaments the referee kept the official time and the time clock/scoreboard was stopped at the two minute mark. For some reason they decided to use the score clock as the official time with the referee telling the people in the score booth when to stop and start the clock, like in football. He even used the signals used in football. And stopping the clock when a goal is scored??? Football yes, soccer no! Where do these refs learn the rules?

in the high school game the clock is stopped for goal, injury penalty kicks and any cards given, and also may be stop on substitutions if the refree thinks the winning team is substituting to stall. the rule of adding time is fifa.

goalkeepers may bounce the ball as long as it is possesion and has 6 seconds to get rid of it.

offsides is a different animal in its self. most fans are watching the game (which means the ball) they have no idea where the players were when it was kicked, you have one set of fans yelling offsides and the other set saying it was alright. in my opinion the refs get the call right 95% of the time. nobody is perfect and no teams are perfect, but everyone wants to lay the blame on the officials. I never see on here where an open shot was missed that cost a team the game. or that the defense had a break down. Eveyone wants to blame it on a call. So everyone needs to remember that most of the officials do the best they can, and yes they will miss some, but hey what about praise when they get them right.

There is another rule that only applies to high school that seems stupid. It is if you get two yellow cards for dissent it is considered a soft yellow. Which means that you can still play with 11 men. I don't see the point of giving a red card if you can play with the same amount of players.

while we are on the topic:

what is the rule of overtime?

do they automatically play two sessions of overtime, or is it over if someone wins after one overtime?

i also agree with the terrible calls on offsides it seems alot of refs do not understand that the player has to be offsides when the ball is kicked or he/she is not offsides, i also hate when the lines take forever to raise their flags for offsides as well.

Yes-you would automatically play two 10 minutes halves to allow for swapping sides even if there is a leader after the first 10 minutes-the 2nd 10 minute half must be played. If there is still a tie after the two 10 min. halves then you would go to a five minute "golden goal" and then another if necessary.

in the high school game the clock is stopped for goal, injury penalty kicks and any cards given, and also may be stop on substitutions if the refree thinks the winning team is substituting to stall. the rule of adding time is fifa.

goalkeepers may bounce the ball as long as it is possesion and has 6 seconds to get rid of it.

offsides is a different animal in its self. most fans are watching the game (which means the ball) they have no idea where the players were when it was kicked, you have one set of fans yelling offsides and the other set saying it was alright. in my opinion the refs get the call right 95% of the time. nobody is perfect and no teams are perfect, but everyone wants to lay the blame on the officials. I never see on here where an open shot was missed that cost a team the game. or that the defense had a break down. Eveyone wants to blame it on a call. So everyone needs to remember that most of the officials do the best they can, and yes they will miss some, but hey what about praise when they get them right.

I just have a problem when they call offsides and no one is even in the offside position. And I mean no-one in the play or out of it-forget position when the ball is kicked.... I would just like a basic offside call to be right.

Yes-you would automatically play two 10 minutes halves to allow for swapping sides even if there is a leader after the first 10 minutes-the 2nd 10 minute half must be played. If there is still a tie after the two 10 min. halves then you would go to a five minute "golden goal" and then another if necessary.

goodness gracious, that is alot of playing before the end of a game.

thanks.