Predictions for 5A football

Where are you going with that......I guess based on some of your past posts...I should first ask if you have an understanding of the workings of public schools....then maybe I'd understand what you were thinking.....no pay/no play in the public schools?

You implied that you'd like to see BA play without its financial aid kids. If we're going to keep them off the field (even the ones that are paying some tuition to attend private school), then maybe we should apply the same expectations to public school kids. What's the difference between private school parents who pay taxes (and, for argument's sake, are on a full ride at a private school, although I think pretty much all parents pay some form of tuition at private schools) and public school parents who pay taxes? Why should the kids be treated any differently?

Believe it or not, some districts in some states have hefty "activity fees" for each sport a public school student plays (Examples). Let's apply the same standards to all students - let's not single out just the private school kids. What do Tennessee public school parents pay, in terms of fees, for their kids to play sports? I'd venture to say it's less that what kids on partial aid at private schools are paying in tuition.

To quote Robert Shaw from The Sting, "ya folla?".

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see Coach Rankin gone. Not because of anything personal but because I hated to see one team dominate the way Riverdale has during his tenure. You could write a book ( and I'm sure someone will ) about his coaching stlye and what it takes to consistantly be that strong.... And for all we know it may continue without him... But I'd rather see a situation like what we have in Williamson County where you have Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood and yes even Centennial nipping at each others heals. All good coaching staffs, all hard working teams and a true coin toss as to the outcome of these games.

As to predictions for 5A... Well great things are being said about Ravenwood, but I believe TC Jennings was a very special athlete that made a huge difference in the performance of that team, Daniel Becker was a beast. If Ravenwood can replace those talents they could be on top but I just think that is a long shot.

Brentwood has the best coaching staff in 5A (IMO) and will mold whatever talent they have in to a contender. So don't be surprised to see them in the quarter-finals.

Franklin has done well in passing scrimmages this summer and puts a lot of hopes in Todd Campbell (UT signee) and Coach Clayton's pass happy offense. Look for even better things though from the Rebel Defense which IMO will be the best in the state. Josh Frohock, Casey Dykes, Justin Hampton, Simon George and Steven Ladd all potential defensive standouts, will be names well known throughout the county by the end of the season.

Riverdale and Oak Ridge are the two obvious wild cards with recent coaching changes ... look for great things from both ... but consistency could be a question

And then of course we have Centennial. I can't go away with out saying something about my Cougars. I have gone back and watched more film from the past six years. I see where the delayed counter out of the wishbone has consistenly cost them big .... at really big times !!! Brentwood 4th quarter fumble for loss of game. Franklin 4th Q fumble for loss of game on Tim Leach rumble...

I think with the right offense, Centennial could lead Williamson County 5A ... will they find it this year???

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Your numbers are certainly accurate....although your comparison is crap......when BA comes to Ravenwood this fall....just have them leave the financial aid kids on the bus....then you can compare.....

You would be very, very surprised at who got off that bus and who stayed on. Your assuptions reveal more about your world view than you may wish to display on a public message board.

How should they do it at a public school? Check to see whether every athlete's family paid at least the cost of educating one student with their own personal tax payments before allowing a child from that family to participate in extra curricular activities? How much of a subsidy is acceptable to you?

Edited by itzme

• 2 weeks later...

please....dear Lord, save us the agony of a Gary Rankin novel. He did a good job and I will give him that. But does anyone know for sure how much of his success was above board as far as players go? I know of a starting qb for sure that played under Rankin, lived with his family in Lebanon, but used a relative's address to play in the 'Boro. Maybe the book could be about beating the system....how about that? I know the book surely would not be about character, because his teams never had any. He won football games, yes, but he also "whiffed" in the big one more times than not. So please don't waste the paper.

I'm glad to see Coach Rankin gone. Not because of anything personal but because I hated to see one team dominate the way Riverdale has during his tenure. You could write a book ( and I'm sure someone will ) about his coaching stlye and what it takes to consistantly be that strong.... And for all we know it may continue without him... But I'd rather see a situation like what we have in Williamson County where you have Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood and yes even Centennial nipping at each others heals. All good coaching staffs, all hard working teams and a true coin toss as to the outcome of these games.

As to predictions for 5A... Well great things are being said about Ravenwood, but I believe TC Jennings was a very special athlete that made a huge difference in the performance of that team, Daniel Becker was a beast. If Ravenwood can replace those talents they could be on top but I just think that is a long shot.

Brentwood has the best coaching staff in 5A (IMO) and will mold whatever talent they have in to a contender. So don't be surprised to see them in the quarter-finals.

Franklin has done well in passing scrimmages this summer and puts a lot of hopes in Todd Campbell (UT signee) and Coach Clayton's pass happy offense. Look for even better things though from the Rebel Defense which IMO will be the best in the state. Josh Frohock, Casey Dykes, Justin Hampton, Simon George and Steven Ladd all potential defensive standouts, will be names well known throughout the county by the end of the season.

Riverdale and Oak Ridge are the two obvious wild cards with recent coaching changes ... look for great things from both ... but consistency could be a question

And then of course we have Centennial. I can't go away with out saying something about my Cougars. I have gone back and watched more film from the past six years. I see where the delayed counter out of the wishbone has consistenly cost them big .... at really big times !!! Brentwood 4th quarter fumble for loss of game. Franklin 4th Q fumble for loss of game on Tim Leach rumble...

I think with the right offense, Centennial could lead Williamson County 5A ... will they find it this year???

please....dear Lord, save us the agony of a Gary Rankin novel. He did a good job and I will give him that. But does anyone know for sure how much of his success was above board as far as players go? I know of a starting qb for sure that played under Rankin, lived with his family in Lebanon, but used a relative's address to play in the 'Boro. Maybe the book could be about beating the system....how about that? I know the book surely would not be about character, because his teams never had any. He won football games, yes, but he also "whiffed" in the big one more times than not. So please don't waste the paper.

On man........I like this post!

i live when ppl like u get on here and run your mouth about ppl like coach rankin just because he has dominated in the region and state for so long and obviously the qb u know beat the system cause maybe he wanted to play under a great coach and a great football program like rankin and riverdale instead ummm lebanon

ok look has anybody seen the preseason picks for region-4.5a ok if you havent im going to tell you who is sittin in the 1 spot SMYRNA is and RIVERDALE is behind them...since when was the last time riverdale wasnt picked to win the region.. probably decades so i mean enough with all of this riverdale crap and lets talk about a team that is going to be good