coaches?

guys i got a question....do yall think that one coach comin in as an assistant can make a big difference...i have heard of schools gettin a new assistant that has been outta the game for a while but some consider one of the best in the state...i mean rankin is great maynard from ctown and satterfield and some more are some of the greatest coaches ive ever seen but if the right guy comes in could it make a serious difference?

guys i got a question....do yall think that one coach comin in as an assistant can make a big difference...i have heard of schools gettin a new assistant that has been outta the game for a while but some consider one of the best in the state...i mean rankin is great maynard from ctown and satterfield and some more are some of the greatest coaches ive ever seen but if the right guy comes in could it make a serious difference?

You've got to have some atheletes as well, but there are coaches that change programs. The ones that can get the kids mind on football and keep it on football for the entire season are difference makers. Not everyone can coach, some have the knowledge of the game but not the ability to teach what they know. That's not to knock any coach, because they give up alot of their time to do what they do, but not just anybody can coach. The good ones have a system and players come and go year after year, but the product on the field looks like it's the same kids every year. They teach techniques and discipline and demand it from the kids. Those coaches make a difference.

I would say "YES" only if the HEAD coach is reasonable enough to adhere/ listen to any new input. Sometimes, they don't. Sometimes, they do.

On the other hand, sometimes, a new assistant MIGHT be afraid to suggest new input for fear of stepping on the HEAD coaches toes.

You've got to have some atheletes as well, but there are coaches that change programs. The ones that can get the kids mind on football and keep it on football for the entire season are difference makers. Not everyone can coach, some have the knowledge of the game but not the ability to teach what they know. That's not to knock any coach, because they give up alot of their time to do what they do, but not just anybody can coach. The good ones have a system and players come and go year after year, but the product on the field looks like it's the same kids every year. They teach techniques and discipline and demand it from the kids. Those coaches make a difference.

WELL PUT!

Edited by msufan

yes i agree very well put and i also agree wit the other one bout steeping on the head coaches toes....but i was juss wonderin i mean i know a coach can disciplin kids and technique and evrything but like yall said u have to have the althletes thats the main thing and they have to want to play football and have to want to listen and get better cuz if u stick steve spurrier wit a group of kids that wont listen and dont wanna play juss wanna be out there for looks and evrything u wont have a good football team thanks for the input

yes i agree very well put and i also agree wit the other one bout steeping on the head coaches toes....but i was juss wonderin i mean i know a coach can disciplin kids and technique and evrything but like yall said u have to have the althletes thats the main thing and they have to want to play football and have to want to listen and get better cuz if u stick steve spurrier wit a group of kids that wont listen and dont wanna play juss wanna be out there for looks and evrything u wont have a good football team thanks for the input

True about the athletes!

I wouldn't play them regardless of what grade they were in (if they were just there for show or status). You have to want to play. Don't take away from the other players just to pacify the show horses. There are some that play the whole four years of high school because it is their desire/ hunger for football. Don't short those players. It is unfair, and they have been dedicated the whole time. I know it happens.

I have seen some schools play 1st year seniors ONLY because they were seniors (even in other sports). This is so wrong to the DEDICATED players that have been there through the whole journey. A good coach does what is right, and for the most part, the coach will do what is best for the team. :lol:

Edited by msufan

as a former assistant high school coach, i couldnt agree more. you definately have to have at least some players with ability. you can be the best coach in the world, but you have to have something to work with.

its been my experience that you do not have to have the best coaches in the state to win a championship. you do have to have a coaching staff that works very well together. not every coach is going to see everything in practice or a game. if all the coaches are willing to listen to the other coaches and are willing to check their egos at the door, then a team has a great chance of winning championships.

discipline is the key for the players. they must have it and use it on every play. give me less talented, disciplined players and i will beat you most of the time.

as a former assistant high school coach, i couldnt agree more. you definately have to have at least some players with ability. you can be the best coach in the world, but you have to have something to work with.

its been my experience that you do not have to have the best coaches in the state to win a championship. you do have to have a coaching staff that works very well together. not every coach is going to see everything in practice or a game. if all the coaches are willing to listen to the other coaches and are willing to check their egos at the door, then a team has a great chance of winning championships.

discipline is the key for the players. they must have it and use it on every play. give me less talented, disciplined players and i will beat you most of the time.

Remember that it is more important that coaches make a diffrence on kids as human beings. Most will not play football beyond high school. Yes an assistant coach can make a diffrence in many areas. Hopefully they make them better players, better people and better leaders.

thats right also....i aint that old i aint gonna say how old i am old enough put it that way....but ive had two coaches that have made a huge impact on my life and have taught me how to approach life like u may approach a game...and football is probably the only sport in which that occurs cuz u dont learn life lessons in bball os baseball but that was a rly good point i didnt know if yall thought that one guy comin in could make a diffrnce in championships or regualr season teams

thats right also....i aint that old i aint gonna say how old i am old enough put it that way....but ive had two coaches that have made a huge impact on my life and have taught me how to approach life like u may approach a game...and football is probably the only sport in which that occurs cuz u dont learn life lessons in bball os baseball but that was a rly good point i didnt know if yall thought that one guy comin in could make a diffrnce in championships or regualr season teams

You learn life lessons in any situation you open yourself up to. Life lessons are learned in all sorts of places.

An assistant coach, a head coach, an equipment manager can teach you lessons if you are willing to learn.

But a coach of any kind can also bring you down and/or break you. A coach seems to have more influence over you because they are an older authority figure. That's something a coach of anykind needs to know; while they can build you up and teach you how to be a man, they can also bring you down and break you if they aren't careful.

now to answer the original questions...

Sometimes an assistant coach is more approachable than a head coach. Sometimes the head coach needs someone to step up and pull his weight.

Sometimes an assistant coach is there for right reasons because they sure don't get paid much money.

Sometimes an assistant coach spends much more one on one time with a player or a group of players, therefore could be hugely beneficial or hurtful.

Really, it all comes back to the head coach. I think an assistant coach can pull a program either way depending on the direction and leadership of the head coach.