picking up players for nationals

first i dont see why aau lets this happppen. i have seen it both ways. stay with what got you there and you may or may not have much of a chance to win or pick up players and run the chance of hurting the kids feelings and making the parents mad. just wonding what other people thought.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first i dont see why aau lets this happppen. i have seen it both ways. stay with what got you there and you may or may not have much of a chance to win or pick up players and run the chance of hurting the kids feelings and making the parents mad. just wonding what other people thought.

I can see that happening for a whole lot of injuries on one team. I don't see how they could learn your plays and defenses in time to help a whole lot.

I can see the good and the bad in picking up players. But, what gets me is if your going to pick up players, then play your best players. If not then play the ones you already have. It only seems fair.

I can see the good and the bad in picking up players. But, what gets me is if your going to pick up players, then play your best players. If not then play the ones you already have. It only seems fair.

programs survive and thrive on success......parents and the kids both, at the end of the day, want to win. this post has been here before.....truth is good clean competition both ...within the team and on the floor is the best growing tools for these kids....not the minutes played.

there is no right or wrong answer to this query.....each team that either picks up or not, hopefully does it in the best interest of their team.

example: start the season with 10 .....2 or 3 drop off for what ever reason..(i think everyone would agree that at the national level, 7 -8 is not enough players) do you say well ok you remaining girls have worked hard but:

A. sorry we're done thanks for you time

B. we're gonna go ahead and risk foul troubles or injury

C. pick up help...embrace the opportunity possitively and compete

I for one will avoid option A at reasonable cost......have tried option B and was disasterous....so C is for me

programs survive and thrive on success......parents and the kids both, at the end of the day, want to win. this post has been here before.....truth is good clean competition both ...within the team and on the floor is the best growing tools for these kids....not the minutes played.

there is no right or wrong answer to this query.....each team that either picks up or not, hopefully does it in the best interest of their team.

example: start the season with 10 .....2 or 3 drop off for what ever reason..(i think everyone would agree that at the national level, 7 -8 is not enough players) do you say well ok you remaining girls have worked hard but:

A. sorry we're done thanks for you time

B. we're gonna go ahead and risk foul troubles or injury

C. pick up help...embrace the opportunity possitively and compete

I for one will avoid option A at reasonable cost......have tried option B and was disasterous....so C is for me

You are right to some extent. There is no way to make all the players and there parents happy, and truly not when playing time is involved. But what I'm saying is that if you pick up players you should start your best starting 5.I wasn't at all saying to say 'bye to your other players,they're the ones that help get your team there. I guess what I was saying, is play them according to there talent and then sub the others as the coach sees fit.

You are right to some extent. There is no way to make all the players and there parents happy, and truly not when playing time is involved. But what I'm saying is that if you pick up players you should start your best starting 5.I wasn't at all saying to say 'bye to your other players,they're the ones that help get your team there. I guess what I was saying, is play them according to there talent and then sub the others as the coach sees fit.

you were agreeing with me.....never said pick up and say goodbye to any players......i was saying if you cant pick up, count your losses and work toward next year....the say good bye statement was merely sarcasm aimed at those that would rather quit and play safe.

Also, of course you start and play your better players(new or old) that is the nature of the game. Tenure shouldnt be rewarded in the same manner as hard work and results.

you were agreeing with me.....never said pick up and say goodbye to any players......i was saying if you cant pick up, count your losses and work toward next year....the say good bye statement was merely sarcasm aimed at those that would rather quit and play safe.

Also, of course you start and play your better players(new or old) that is the nature of the game. Tenure shouldnt be rewarded in the same manner as hard work and results.

I agree totally .

Picking up players can help your team or hurt your team in nationals. Picking up players though is an "ART." The ART is knowing how to use your current base of players and how to use your additions to make sure that no ill feelings occur.

Your base is what got you to that point, but you also know that your base can't get you far in pool and/or bracket play. Otherwise, why would you be looking at picking up players. If you already have an abundance of players (even if they are not Division I nationals ready) and can't pick up stronger players without hurting others, then maybe your team is not ready for Division I nationals.....there is always Division II, YBOA, or MAYB.

The coach must be sensitive to both groups (new and old) of players and use them to maximize the benefit for the TEAM. That is why picking up players is more of an ART. :blink:

The only thing I would suggest to coaches about picking up players, is to make it known ahead of time. I knew from the get go that my daughters coach would probably pick up players for nationals. As he put it when he announced who he was picking up "If the players @ that position were doing what they should do then he wouldn't have to pick up". Considering it was the position my daughter plays I knew he was right. She wasn't playing up to the talent she has. This woke her up and she has been playing better ever since. I told my daughter she could cry about it, or work harder. She chose the latter. But again, I as a parent & she as a player knew ahead of time that this was a possibility.

Edited by Bri