Week Zero

Big Country

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Wartburg play in Week Zero also? I was thinking they play at Oneida. I wonder how the dogs will be this year. As a former Wartburg player, it saddens me to see such a lack of enthusiasm and discipline the team has displayed the past couple of years. I honestly don't believe that it's all the kids' fault either. I am a long time removed from the school and the program, and I rarely see any games these days. I just wonder if a "changing of the guard" in the Burg might just be what the doctor ordered. To me, wins and losses ultimately aren't as important as how a team carries itself and the pride it shows for itself and it's community. Years from now, those wonderful Friday nights will just be fleeting memories. Trust me....I know.

There are quite a few good week zero games that I would love to see:

1.) David Lipscomb vs Goodpasture

2.) PJPII at Greenbrier

3.) Creek Wood at Sycamore

4.) Spring Hill at Marshall Co.

5.) Pearl-Cohn at Glencliff

The Lipscomb-Goodpasture game will be a game where the running game and defense decides the winner. Stroud, Medley, and Lovell are all back for the 2A Runner-Up while the 3A Runner-Up returns Mr. Football Favorite Matt Elrod to their offensive backfield.

PJPII has one of the best two players in the state this upcoming year in Golden Tate. Tate is a do-it-all athlete who in my mind will lead PJPII to a Clinic Bowl title this upcoming November. Greenbrier is always one of the midstate's top 3A programs and they are very tough to beat at Bobcat Field.

Creek Wood had an amazing run last year not only going to their first ever postseason but making some noise once they got there. Chuck Daniel and his staff have built a top notch football program in a very short period of time and now that the likes of Fizer, Theil, Vaughn and Steverson are gone it's time for the Red Hawks to prove that they weren't just a one year wonder. Sycamore has missed the playoffs each of the last two seasons but a strong senior class is expected to change that this upcoming campaign. The home opener will show thiss team's true colors against one of it's classes big boys from a year ago.

Last year's opener between Marshall Co.-Spring Hill was a shootout to say the least and by looking at what both teams return this upcoming season don't expect this year's game to be any different. Travis McKnight will be back on the sidelines for the first time since '04 for the Raiders who return a dynamite backfield in quarterback Magwan Smith and running back Jonathan Walker. Marshall is expected to be Lipscomb's top threat in 5-3A and playing at home they can't afford a letdown in the region opener. How will the folks in Lewisburg react to coach William Johnson since all of the allagations have been brought to the forefront during the off-season. Will Marshall rely on the air attack with quarterback Kellen Gower or will they be more of a physical team this year and run the ball with Hightower?????

For the first time in 16 years there will be a new head football coach on the sidelines for the Firebirds of Pearl-Cohn and his name is Tony Brunetti. PC will be the likely preseason pick to win 4-3A and that's a good choice with the Masons returning. A metro rivalry in week zero at Glencliff will show whether these Firebirds are just talented hype or if they are a legit threat to win a region title in '06.