how do the 3a playoffs work

coltsfan18

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im new to high school football and i would like to know how the playoffs work in 3a?like how many teams from each region go?

There are eight regions and four teams from each region go. That is the case in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, & 5A football in the state of Tennessee. The first two rounds homefield advantage is determined by success in the regular season. In the quarterfinals and semifinals teams will be traveling from east to west this year (it flip/flops yearly). The title games are played on the campus of MTSU in Murfreesboro.

Hope this helps you out :lol:

There are eight regions and four teams from each region go. That is the case in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, & 5A football in the state of Tennessee. The first two rounds homefield advantage is determined by success in the regular season. In the quarterfinals and semifinals teams will be traveling from east to west this year (it flip/flops yearly). The title games are played on the campus of MTSU in Murfreesboro.

Hope this helps you out :lol:

Isn't homefield in round 3 determined by success in regular season also, unless both teams are the same seed from their respected regions?You might also add that first three playoff games consist of Region 1 vs. Region 2, Region 3 vs. Region 4, Region 5 vs. Region 6, and Region 7 vs. Region 8.

Isn't homefield in round 3 determined by success in regular season also, unless both teams are the same seed from their respected regions?You might also add that first three playoff games consist of Region 1 vs. Region 2, Region 3 vs. Region 4, Region 5 vs. Region 6, and Region 7 vs. Region 8.

I don't believe that it's the case :lol:

Example: 2001 Class 3A Quarterfinals 5-3A #2 Seed Sycamore (11-1) traveled to play 6-3A #2 Seed Crockett Co. (10-2) in Alamo. I know that CC was 6-3A's #2 seed that year because the previous week in round two of the playoffs McNairy Central (6-3A's #1 team & the #1 ranked team in all of Class 3A) fell on their homefield against that very same Sycamore bunch.

Personally I believe that the better team (overall record) should always get to play on their own homefield because a team's success has got to be rewarded in some way, shape, or form. Randomly determining which way a team travels geographically is pretty ridiculous if you ask me :(

I don't believe that it's the case :lol:

Example: 2001 Class 3A Quarterfinals 5-3A #2 Seed Sycamore (11-1) traveled to play 6-3A #2 Seed Crockett Co. (10-2) in Alamo. I know that CC was 6-3A's #2 seed that year because the previous week in round two of the playoffs McNairy Central (6-3A's #1 team & the #1 ranked team in all of Class 3A) fell on their homefield against that very same Sycamore bunch.

Personally I believe that the better team (overall record) should always get to play on their own homefield because a team's success has got to be rewarded in some way, shape, or form. Randomly determining which way a team travels geographically is pretty ridiculous if you ask me :(

Thanks for the info! I thought that only round 4 was pre-determined!

IF two teams go undeafted in 2 different regions and play each other in say 2nd round of playoffs who gets home-field advantage? do they go to like point deffesits or something like that? or would it be like who has a higher state ranking?

The way the format is set up, two undeafeated teams would not meet until the 3rd round--- I think! Although 2 teams with the same record could meet in the second round, home field would go to the higher seed from their respected region. Teams with the same seed# cannot meet until round 3---I think!!

IF two teams go undeafted in 2 different regions and play each other in say 2nd round of playoffs who gets home-field advantage? do they go to like point deffesits or something like that? or would it be like who has a higher state ranking?

For example...the brackets are set up so that in the first round :

Region 5 seed 1 plays region 6 seed 4

Region 5 seed 2 plays region 6 seed 3

Region 5 seed 3 plays region 6 seed 2

Region 5 seed 4 plays region 6 seed 1

Ist and 2nd seeds always get first round home games

There were upsets in this bracket last year so it is a good example case:

R5 seed 1 (East Robertson) was beaten by the R6 seed 4 (Richland)

R6 seed 2 (Camden) beat R5 seed 3 (DCA)

R6 seed 1 (Lewis co) was beaten by R5 seed 4 (Ezell-Harding)

R5 seed 2 (Goodpasture) beat R6 seed 3 (Riverside)

So this set up these games:

Camden R6 seed 2 against R6 seed 4 Richland at Camden because Camden was the higher seed. If East Robertson had beaten Richland this game would have been played at East Robertson because they were a higher seed than Camden.

Goodpasture R5 seed 2 against R5 seed 4 Ezell-Harding at Goodpasture because Goodpasture was the higher seed. If Lewis co had beaten Ezell, this game would have been played at Lewis co.

So this set-up this quarter final matchup:

R5 seed 2 Goodpasture against R6 seed 2 Camden. This game was played at Camden because it was pre-set that in odd numbered years the top rung of the bracket got home field . If Richland had beaten Camden, even though Richland was a #4 seed they would have played #2 seed Goodpasture at Richland because they were on the top part of the bracket. http://tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateFootba...s2A/Bracket.htm

So this set-up this semi-final matchup:

R5 seed 2 Goodpasture against R7 seed 1 Huntingdon. This game was played at Goodpasture even though they were a #2 against a #1 because Goodpasture was on the top rung of the bracket.

Next season the bottom rung of the bracket will get homefield advantage starting in the Quarterfinals. So up until the Quarters your regular season seeding dictates home field advantage.

Maybe this helps :rolleyes:

Personally I believe that the better team (overall record) should always get to play on their own homefield because a team's success has got to be rewarded in some way, shape, or form. Randomly determining which way a team travels geographically is pretty ridiculous if you ask me :rolleyes:

But overall record in some regions doesn't show success. If they do it like you state then you are punishing teams that play in tough regions and rewarding the teams that play in weaker regions. And regions that have 8 and sometimes 9 teams in their regions have to play whomever is in their region whether they are very good or mediocre at best....so they way it is set now is the only way that I can see it being done.

If two teams go unbeaten in the same region and one is a #1 seed and the other is a #2 seed (those two teams would have had to miss each other on the schedule that year) & the unbeaten #2 seed plays the other region's #1 seed in the second round then the #1 seed will get to host because that team will have the higher seed (which is all that matters in the opening two rounds of the playoffs).

EXAMPLE:

In 2001 in the Class 4A State Playoffs in Region 5-4A both Hillsboro and Columbia Central finished the regular season perfect at 10-0. Columbia Central was awarded the #1 seed and Hillsboro was awarded the #2 seed. Here was the bracket for that year if memory serves me correctly:

5-4A #1 (Columbia Central) vs 6-4A #4 (Springfield): Springfield WON

6-4A #2 (White House) vs 5-4A #3 (Tullahoma): White House WON

6-4A #1 (Pearl-Cohn) vs 5-4A #4 (Overton): Pearl-Cohn WON

5-4A #2 (Hillsboro) vs 6-4A #3 (Whites Creek): Hillsboro WON

In the second round Pearl-Cohn hosted Hillsboro (the Burros won the game) because the Firebirds were the higher seed. In the quarterfinals Hillsboro traveled again to play White House at White House. Why????? Despite the fact that both were the same seed and Hillsboro had a perfect record it was the Burros region's turn to travel in the quarters and the semis that year.

Edited by Big Country

If two teams go unbeaten in the same region and one is a #1 seed and the other is a #2 seed (those two teams would have had to miss each other on the schedule that year) & the unbeaten #2 seed plays the other region's #1 seed in the second round then the #1 seed will get to host because that team will have the higher seed (which is all that matters in the opening two rounds of the playoffs).

EXAMPLE:

In 2001 in the Class 4A State Playoffs in Region 5-4A both Hillsboro and Columbia Central finished the regular season perfect at 10-0. Columbia Central was awarded the #1 seed and Hillsboro was awarded the #2 seed. Here was the bracket for that year if memory serves me correctly:

5-4A #1 (Columbia Central) vs 6-4A #4 (Springfield): Springfield WON

6-4A #2 (White House) vs 5-4A #3 (Tullahoma): White House WON

6-4A #1 (Pearl-Cohn) vs 5-4A #4 (Overton): Pearl-Cohn WON

5-4A #2 (Hillsboro) vs 6-4A #3 (Whites Creek): Hillsboro WON

In the second round Pearl-Cohn hosted Hillsboro (the Burros won the game) because the Firebirds were the higher seed. In the quarterfinals Hillsboro traveled again to play White House at White House. Why????? Despite the fact that both were the same seed and Hillsboro had a perfect record it was the Burros region's turn to travel in the quarters and the semis that year.

Why did they not play in the regular season?