Sevier County vs. William Blount

TG24

Congrats to the Governors on their victory. The better team definitely won. Every phase of the game you were better at. From your solid defense, to your vastly superior kicking game (punter/place kicker is a stud) and efficeint, if unspectacular offense (Walker is a fine, hardnosed running back). The only downside I see is that you are still too one dimensional on offense. When you do go up against a better defense and are forced to pass it looks like your offense will struggle (why we didn't put eight in the box, shoot the gaps more and force you to beat us thru the air I'll never know).

As for the Bears, it looks like my above post was right on the money. Just as last year, we are still a very inconsistent (almost inept at times) offense against good, sound defensive units. Combined with our continued tendency from last year to self destruct and we are going to struggle again to sustain drives and score against the better teams. Now couple in the fact that on both sides of the line we are now weaker and that we have virtually no kicking game to speak of.........well, at least we play in the much weaker Region 1 5A which will give us a chance every night (except against Dobyns-Bennett of course).

The defense is the strong suit of WB, they only allowed six points all game. They have been very strong and consistent throughout this pre-season, and they proved themselves tonight against a very good SC offense. In my opinion, SC should've went to #7 more, I don't think WB had a real answer for him, but, otherwise, it was a great defensive game. As for WB's offense, it was very efficient. Not amazing, but, we've got many solid runners that will deliver for us this year. I am worried by the one-dimensional offense that we have, but, I think if teams start to put eight or so in the box, that Endsley will be able to dump it off to an open man for some pretty good gains. Can't say enough about the Walker's, in every aspect of the game!!!

As for SC, they are a great football team. Watson's amazing, and will live up to all the expectations for him. The offense was a tad bit unproductive, but, they just need to work out a few kinks and they should be very good. The defense is very solid, they could have forced WB to pass it on them, which they should've done. It would have been a VERY close game had they stuffed the box more. SC should have a good year, with their schedule and their talent, you guys should do very well!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some excellent assesments of both teams. I was really happy for WB ... big win for the program. My random thoughts:

*The transfer rb/db (was it Hodge?#26) is a good athlete.

*Would have thougth the Bears might have tried to exploit size advantage (their wr's vs our db's) and thrown it even more. Did Pippen have any receptions?

*Feezel (James) is a gifted athlete ... I'd throw to him a bunch. The other Feezel is gonna be a good one to.

*QB Watson is so elusive. Never goes down on first hit.

*Still believe the Smoky Bears will have a good year and who knows, they may end up getting another shot at the Govs.

*WB offense will need to develop a little more passing game eventually if they are going to really compete this year.

*D. Walker, T.J. Walker, Baskin, McHale provide for a "good" stable of running backs.

*The Walker brothers have the potential to be the best "set" of defensive ends in the county and in the region. Darren had a great night defensively, but really shined on the offensive side (190+ yds rushing and 2 tds, including a 95 yarder later in the game). T.J. Walker was the defensive player of the game. One series in the second half kind of summed up the night for him ...(on a 3 and out by SC, TJ knocked down a pass in the backfield on 1st down, dropped the SC rb for no gain on second down, and sacked qb on third down.)

*WB kicker (Kuelho?) was impressive. Hit all his xp's and one fg ... but what I was excited about, he missed a 49 yarder end of first half, hit the left upright about 3/4's of the way up the pole and about broke the goal post :thumb: ...the kick would have easily been good from 55-60 yds if it had been 2 inches to the right.

*Prediction ... Kase Whithead will establish himself as one of the premier punters in the region before the season is over.

*DO NOT overlook what WB's offensive line did last night ... especially the second half. They dominated the line of the scrimmage.

I like this year's team. Maybe not the "star power" that a lot of teams have, but last night at least, they showed what working hard, being patient, and staying within the system will accomplish.

My thoughts after last night's season opener:

1. Either team could have won the game. Watson's fumble was definitely the break that WB needed as it looked like SC was in position to break the Governor's hearts again.

2. Without a doubt, SC should have passed the ball 75% of the time with Watson out of the shotgun. Feezel owns WB, and, quite frankly, him and Watson made it look easy at times.

3. All plays running wide by SC were useless...too much on the corners for WB.

4. When SC's punter/placekicker went down, that was a big blow.

5. WB's run defense...outstanding!

6. WB's kicking game.....All I can say is it is the best this school has ever seen. Whitehead punts 2 inside the 20 and he punts one for 53 yards and no return. He does an outstanding job kicking the ball with distance and out of bounds. The placekicker Coelho..are you kidding me? Meadows calls for the 49 yarder at the end of the half..why not..there is really no other options. Then I see that is was not a long-shot. He hits the left upright half-way up the pole. Wow. WB will win some games this year solely because of these 2 individuals who will be better than their opponents NEARLY every game.

7. WB's offense...adequate. Endsley will get better in time. The offensive line created excellent holes for Walker and company last night. However, the RB's hit the hole well, but they close quickly as Darren and MO don't have the quick burst that Brad did (but who does?). WB will have to win games by being a team all year. NO phase can let up. If each unit does their part the way they are capable, it will be a successful year for WB.

8. WB's coaching.....I think the WB coaches have done an outstanding job in their respective roles. Meadows will have to be creative with play-calling, and I thought he did very well last night in long-yardage situations. A couple of reverses and minor "tricks" paid off. Until Endsley gets a little experience, there is no need to gamble a whole lot. Just let the defense and the kicking game play field position until WB gets good drives going.

9. Here are the final grades for WB last night:

QB 5 One mistake was costly, but for the most part, he did a great

job running the offense.

OL 9 Made several holes for RB's. Only one holding penalty.

RB's 9 Ran the ball very hard.

DL 9 Blew up several SC plays

LB's 9 Missed very few tackles and Lail was everywhere

SEC 5 Difficult night staying with Feezel

Punt 10 What a weapon

Kick 10 IMPRESSIVE for a kid who has only kicked a football for

a couple of months.

Coach 9 Outstanding job of motivating, position-coaching, and play-

calling.

Just a few more rankings, ET:

Media Coverage:

WGAP 8 - great knowledge, excellent advertiser support, would have been a 10 but penalized 2 for mispelling of "Governor" on shirts

BCS TV - 8.3 - Treadway just bleeds Blue & Orange, Lail didn't start any fires, Moore is wonderful with the camera ... will be penalized each week until I receive my fancy Governor shirt from Treadway

Sevier Radio - 7.0 - these guys were good, very unbiased, main dude was from Greenback, a little loud on my side of the box at times

P.A. - 10 - :rolleyes::lol: what do you expect? Scot Tyler could be the best "spotter" in East Tennesee

Just a few more rankings, ET:

Media Coverage:

WGAP 8 - great knowledge, excellent advertiser support, would have been a 10 but penalized 2 for mispelling of "Governor" on shirts

BCS TV - 8.3 - Treadway just bleeds Blue & Orange, Lail didn't start any fires, Moore is wonderful with the camera ... will be penalized each week until I receive my fancy Governor shirt from Treadway

Sevier Radio - 7.0 - these guys were good, very unbiased, main dude was from Greenback, a little loud on my side of the box at times

P.A. - 10 - :rolleyes::lol: what do you expect? Scot Tyler could be the best "spotter" in East Tennesee

I'll add one more ranking as well,

Band- 10 :lol: Oh, sorry guys, still allowed to say that here? :lol:

Very impressive by the Governors. Reminded me of watching a football game from the 80's. Hard nosed on both sides of the football. Defense played very well, but the secondary may need to learn their strengths and weaknesses. WB will be able to keep alot of games close with the defense, and if Meadows can go to the books and draw up some different plays to throw teams off without having to utilize their passing much, this could be a very successful year.

I'll add one more ranking as well,

Band- 10 :thumb: Oh, sorry guys, still allowed to say that here? :D

Incredible job by the band. Not only with the opening but the half-time show was superb. I enjoyed Sevier County's band as well.

TG24 ... I thought it was a great atmosphere last night. I was encouraged by the way the Gov fans cheered the Govs as they left the field at half-time, trailing 12-3. You just kind of sensed something was getting read to happen.

My oldest daughter (senior) said the student section was great--except that some of the upstart junior boys are trying to upstage the seniors in the cheering section pecking order. Front row body painting, evidently, is supposed to be a senior thing??? You might get away with painting your body, but the front row is reserved for seniors, she says. What's your opinion? :P

Incredible job by the band. Not only with the opening but the half-time show was superb. I enjoyed Sevier County's band as well.

TG24 ... I thought it was a great atmosphere last night. I was encouraged by the way the Gov fans cheered the Govs as they left the field at half-time, trailing 12-3. You just kind of sensed something was getting read to happen.

My oldest daughter (senior) said the student section was great--except that some of the upstart junior boys are trying to upstage the seniors in the cheering section pecking order. Front row body painting, evidently, is supposed to be a senior thing??? You might get away with painting your body, but the front row is reserved for seniors, she says. What's your opinion? :thumb:

Thanks! I thought both bands did a wonderful job. I was impressed with how quickly we put on our pre-game show, as we only started on it Wednesday. That was our best run-through of the half-time show too, so, we did well when it counted. I loved SC's Beatles show also.

It was a great atmosphere last night! The pep-rally was alot of fun too, everyone really got into it. The student section was great last night, as was with the jamboree. I do think your daughter is right though, the front-row painting is pretty much a strictly senior only thing, however a junior may be able to get away with painting on the front row, but the seniors usually don't appreciate that too much. A junior could get away with painting on the second row easliy, but, sophomores are pretty much restricted from any cheering section privilages.

Was it the same way back at Friendsville?:D

GovMan come down from that high browl attitude and notice that the young man capped the word WONDER to let us know he did have a little limp-wrist point to make. He's a kid. You're not so act it.

Don't want to beat this "dead horse" much longer, but somehow I missed this posting earlier. I'll let the people who've read this thread be the judge. You come on and belittle a sophomore in high school because he's in the band, and you make your little "limp wrist" comment and then you tell me not to act like a kid???

What's wrong with that picture? :rolleyes::D:D

Edited by GovMan

Well if WB does HAVE to go to their passing game, they indeed have athletes in that category. Endsley grew up throwing the ball more than handing it off (Friendsville Falcons and William Blount Middle). And also the 2 receivers (Senior #6 Jordan Conley, and Junior #87 Grey Clevenger) are athletic and have great hands and will bring down most balls thrown to them. Conley has great acceleration off of the ball to get by corners when the ball is snapped, and Clevenger has amazing hands and good height for a wide out. Heres another PLUS for their passing game....Conley and Endsley grew up best friends all through life and every school theyve both attended and grew up throwin the ball to each other on the field at Friendsville and WBMS. Clevenger also played every other year with them, because hes a year younger. They all 3 have good connection, and Endsley knows both WR's have the ability to run under many of his passes and come down with necessary yardage. They will be fine with the few passes they do, because someone has to stop their running game first before talkin bout a new offense.

Edited by Peay-Nut JC