2 Class in all DII Sports to be proposed at August B of C

RedUp

You really can't add McCallie and GPS's attendance together. They are completely separate schools - different boards of trustees, unrelated administrations, separate charters, etc. There's no basis to add them together other than three McCallie brothers founded McCallie 102 years ago and a McCallie sister along with two of her friends founded GPS 100 years ago.

I know they're not the same school. They often play doubleheaders against other schools in basketball so the school can have a male and female opponent. Their enrollments aren't added together in this, they're doubled because they don't have males and females both.

Edited by Indian

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any D1 schools going into D2AAA due to the amount of travel required and the money that it takes to travel. In fact I could see some D2AAA schools making the change to D1AAAA or D1AAAAA the same as Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame did when given the opportunity. As the money starts to flow, I don't see Christian Brothers, Briarcrest, Father Ryan or Pope John Paul II being able to keep up with the spending that schools like Baylor, McCallie, MUS, Ensworth, MBA & Brentwood Academy are throwing into athletics. I could see some of these schools leaving the TSSAA for the old "MidSouth Prep School League" like many of the military academies and prep schools around the Southeast participated in during the 1950's-1970's.

Again, the travel required would decrease with more joining. Right now, Boyd-Buchanan plays Sweetwater, McMinn Central, Tellico Plains, Polk County in sports other than football. They could be playing Temple, Grace, Silverdale and David Brainerd in those sports in region or district play, potentially. Even if there was no multiplier they'd be in the same Class A area with Copper Basin and Whitwell. As for the money being spent, unless students are being drawn to any of those schools specifically for sports-which we've all been told here countless times does not happen-then the money being spent shouldn't matter.

Again, the travel required would decrease with more joining. Right now, Boyd-Buchanan plays Sweetwater, McMinn Central, Tellico Plains, Polk County in sports other than football. They could be playing Temple, Grace, Silverdale and David Brainerd in those sports in region or district play, potentially. Even if there was no multiplier they'd be in the same Class A area with Copper Basin and Whitwell. As for the money being spent, unless students are being drawn to any of those schools specifically for sports-which we've all been told here countless times does not happen-then the money being spent shouldn't matter.

It is my opinion that families are drawn to private schools for various reasons (education, athletics, foreign exchange trips, religion, etc...) the same as they are drawn to public schools.

How can you say that travel money should not be a factor with private schools? I have heard the number $30,000.00 floated around as to what one D2AAA school spent on travel for football and basketball last year. That number is crazy no matter how large your schools endowment may be. When schools are being forced to play a region schedule that does not allow them to get home from road games until 2:00am there is a problem and it needs to be corrected.

JMO, but this will all be addressed when Brentwood Academy and the TSSAA sits down to workout the financial numbers for the recent attorney fees.

Football, Division II, Class AAA

East Region:

Knoxville Catholic 548

Notre Dame 561

Baylor 748

McCallie 1250

Middle Region:

Brentwood Academy 446

Lipscomb 526

PJP2 651

MBA 924

Father Ryan 926

West Region:

ECS 515

Briarcrest 612

St Benedict 776

MUS 862

Christian Brothers 1700

If everyone goes in, travel improves. According to yahoo maps, Knoxville to Chattanooga is 30 minutes quicker than Grundy to and from McMinn Central, a 3A football game played every year. Catholic would go to Chattanooga once one year, twice another year, so it shouldn't kill their program.

Edited by Indian

I know they're not the same school. They often play doubleheaders against other schools in basketball so the school can have a male and female opponent. Their enrollments aren't added together in this, they're doubled because they don't have males and females both.

Sorry, I saw this " An East division could have Chattanooga Christian, Webb, Catholic, Notre Dame, Baylor, GPS/McCallie in AA" in your narative and jumped to a conclusion when I saw the enrollment number. Seems like I've heard about folks jumping to conclusions.

East Region:

Knoxville Catholic 548

Notre Dame 561

Baylor 748

McCallie 1250

Middle Region:

Brentwood Academy 446

Lipscomb 526

PJP2 651

MBA 924

Father Ryan 926

West Region:

ECS 515

Briarcrest 612

St Benedict 776

MUS 862

Christian Brothers 1700

If everyone goes in, travel improves. According to yahoo maps, Knoxville to Chattanooga is 30 minutes quicker than Grundy to and from McMinn Central, a 3A football game played every year. Catholic would go to Chattanooga once one year, twice another year, so it shouldn't kill their program.

In the East Region a team will only have 3 league games and will have to search to find 7 more games to complete their schedule. How are they going to find those games and who will play them? Will they have to travel to Middle Tennessee and Memphis to complete their scheudle? The only reason that most public schools play private schools now is because they are forced to do it. The best plan that I have seen is to place everyone back together and use the "MERIT SYSTEM" for football. It would be fair for every school (both public and private) and it would reduce the travel for all schools. With the price of fuel continuting to rise we all need to look for ways to reduce cost.

Edited by cbg

East Region:

Knoxville Catholic 548

Notre Dame 561

Baylor 748

McCallie 1250

Middle Region:

Brentwood Academy 446

Lipscomb 526

PJP2 651

MBA 924

Father Ryan 926

West Region:

ECS 515

Briarcrest 612

St Benedict 776

MUS 862

Christian Brothers 1700

What did you do with Knox Webb? KCHS would appreciate they've been eliminated but all those students would have to enroll somewhere. Your East Region line up for football is one of the main reasons ND and KCHS jumped to DI because of lack of success against McC and Baylor.

Webb would be the largest AA team in football, in this projected system. Notre Dame and Catholic had been in AA football in Division II, not AAA, I was told by ND people it was more travel than competition problems in non-football sports. I know last year Notre Dame could have competed, they gave McCallie all they could handle about four years ago when Adarius Bowman had a zillion yards receiving in one game, and they're similar-sized to a few others in this grouping. Boyd-Buchanan, which would not even be AAA in this, has competed well with Baylor in football, no reason a pair of schools larger than BB couldn't (ND and KC).

In the East Region a team will only have 3 league games and will have to search to find 7 more games to complete their schedule. How are they going to find those games and who will play them? Will they have to travel to Middle Tennessee and Memphis to complete their scheudle? The only reason that most public schools play private schools now is because they are forced to do it. The best plan that I have seen is to place everyone back together and use the "MERIT SYSTEM" for football. It would be fair for every school (both public and private) and it would reduce the travel for all schools. With the price of fuel continuting to rise we all need to look for ways to reduce cost.

what I have said all along is that a fair system would be that dII schools have their own post-season, but are guaranteed a "regional" regular season schedule (i.e., no traveling beyond a certain milage threshold).

But again, this whole thing is based on the premise that you can separate and classify schools for athletics solely on the basis of two criteria--public or private and enrollment. Clearly there is more to the story than that. I will beat the dead horse of McGavock again--McGavock has 2000+ students and one play-off win in the 30 year history of the school.

Webb would be the largest AA team in football, in this projected system. Notre Dame and Catholic had been in AA football in Division II, not AAA, I was told by ND people it was more travel than competition problems in non-football sports. I know last year Notre Dame could have competed, they gave McCallie all they could handle about four years ago when Adarius Bowman had a zillion yards receiving in one game, and they're similar-sized to a few others in this grouping. Boyd-Buchanan, which would not even be AAA in this, has competed well with Baylor in football, no reason a pair of schools larger than BB couldn't (ND and KC).

You're exagerating! it was only a couple of million (and 5 TD's). AB got booted from Chapel Hill for drugs. Too bad, could have been another Reggie Mathis. Now he's at OK State after sitting out 2005. What a demotion - to go from the Southern Part of Heaven to Stillwater!

• 2 weeks later...

Trinity Christian and Fayette Academy are in div 1 - not Div 11.

Also Lighthouse does not have varsity teams - just JV since they only have 44 students

So that is 3 schools that would not be a part of the Div 11 split of 2 classes.

St Georges has the money to compete with all the schools. They will also have the enrollment in another year. They have only been open a few years. They will also be able to compete with the larger private schools due to the training/coaches they have. Big, Big money place!

I agree it is the very small schools with enrollments under 200 that will hurt - always unless there are enough teams to make a split that has 200 as the cutoff.