2 Class in all DII Sports to be proposed at August B of C

RedUp

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know when the DIV.II committee is going to meet to sort this all out for next year.........Today is Aug. 14

It's supposed to be today. What they should have done was polled each private school in Division I and II, and get an opinion on what each might do if the basketball, etc classes in Division II went from one to two.

Indian..you are so funny. You really don`t like private schools. You despeartely try to come up with reasons as to why a change in Div.II would be better for private schools or why it would be better if they all were in Div.II.

The real truth of the matter is that if you were really all that concerned about what is better for them is to bring them all back to Div. I. But I enjoy seeing you stretch common sense to make your points. For example CBHS (1700) in the same region with ECS (515). If that were to happen in Div.I you`d be outraged. :lol:

BA does it with 450, but I guess they're an exception. Briarcrest is in with 600, are 515 and 600 that different when you're comparing to 1700? No I don't hate private schools, believe it or not in the mid-90s I kept track and was pretty much a fan of one in Chattanooga, attended a lot of games, because I had friends on teams there. Even then I felt the teams should have been split. We talked about that and they didn't disagree. This year I was very glad to see GPS do well in state softball and even more because they were playing Division II. Do I wish one of their main players was playing here, yes, but that's not the way things worked out. CBHS is the exception in Division II as far as being large but they can't be in a one-team classification just because they're bigger. In the old AAA Bradley had close to 3,000 one year and they were in with schools with 1,200. You could make the case for teams like BA, MUS and MBA being best in the state in seasons over the last 20 years, how many times has a public school with less than 1,000 been considered the best? I can think of just one-Alcoa in 1989. Do you think that's a coincidence? Maybe you think since Alcoa achieved that one season any with 450 could do that if they worked hard enough. But I guess that wipes out your comment on ECS vs CB.

Edited by Indian

In other business:

This is from the Jackson Sun today, the link is on the Coach T front page:

The TSSAA voted unanimously to go to two classes in all Division II sports except bowling wrestling and track and field. Football is currently the lone Division II sport that offers more than one classification. It currently has three classes.

There will be only 35 schools competing in Division II during the 2007-08 school year after three schools - College Heights, Elliston Baptist and Lighthouse Christian - left the organization. David Brainerd plans on going to Division I starting next school year.

Memphis Catholic would be the smallest Division II Class 1A school with 88 students. Hutchison School, an all-girls private school in Memphis, would be the largest Division II, Class 1A school with and adjusted enrollment of 438 students. For classification purposes, single-sex schools have their enrollment doubled.

Brentwood Academy would be the smallest school in 2A with 446. Christian Brothers would be the largest with 1,700 in adjusted enrollment.

I didn't read anything about specific cutoff numbers but this says BA at 446 is the smallest in 2A. Some teams will just have to start working harder in football, but in the other sports it will be a relief. They should have done this from the beginning and maybe some privates wouldn't have been scared off from joining Division II.

Edited by Indian

BA does it with 450, but I guess they're an exception. Briarcrest is in with 600, are 515 and 600 that different when you're comparing to 1700? No I don't hate private schools, believe it or not in the mid-90s I kept track and was pretty much a fan of one in Chattanooga, attended a lot of games, because I had friends on teams there. Even then I felt the teams should have been split. We talked about that and they didn't disagree. This year I was very glad to see GPS do well in state softball and even more because they were playing Division II. Do I wish one of their main players was playing here, yes, but that's not the way things worked out. CBHS is the exception in Division II as far as being large but they can't be in a one-team classification just because they're bigger. In the old AAA Bradley had close to 3,000 one year and they were in with schools with 1,200. You could make the case for teams like BA, MUS and MBA being best in the state in seasons over the last 20 years, how many times has a public school with less than 1,000 been considered the best? I can think of just one-Alcoa in 1989. Do you think that's a coincidence? Maybe you think since Alcoa achieved that one season any with 450 could do that if they worked hard enough. But I guess that wipes out your comment on ECS vs CB.

My point was that if this happened (the huge disparity in enrollment) in Div.I that you wouldn`t like it. Are you saying that it would be okay with you? Also the main point being that if you were really concerned about the private schools they would all be in Div.I. That is if you are REALLY concerned about their travel but somehow I doubt you are.

My point was that if this happened (the huge disparity in enrollment) in Div.I that you wouldn`t like it. Are you saying that it would be okay with you? Also the main point being that if you were really concerned about the private schools they would all be in Div.I. That is if you are REALLY concerned about their travel but somehow I doubt you are.

I think it's a shame teams like David Brainerd, with around 100 in 9-12, have three choices: traveling across the state and back in Division II, going back to Division I and getting pounded by teams like South Pittsburg in Division I 1A, or not having a team. They chose #2, when Division II, 1A would have been a much better choice if not for the travel. Once again, with all the teams in it, there could have been three classes still in football. Without looking at it again, they'd maybe be in a region with Knoxville Grace, Temple, Silverdale, King's Academy in a three class, all-private Division II. Basketball would be even less travel for such teams since some schools with basketball don't have football. The disparity in enrollment is unavoidable in Division II, large or whatever the class is going to be known as.

I think it's a shame teams like David Brainerd, with around 100 in 9-12, have three choices: traveling across the state and back in Division II, going back to Division I and getting pounded by teams like South Pittsburg in Division I 1A, or not having a team. They chose #2, when Division II, 1A would have been a much better choice if not for the travel. Once again, with all the teams in it, there could have been three classes still in football. Without looking at it again, they'd maybe be in a region with Knoxville Grace, Temple, Silverdale, King's Academy in a three class, all-private Division II. Basketball would be even less travel for such teams since some schools with basketball don't have football. The disparity in enrollment is unavoidable in Division II, large or whatever the class is going to be known as.

David Brainerd would likely get pounded either way. Back to the main point being it would be better for all private schools travel wise to be in Div. I right?

That's along the same lines of yes or no, "have you stopped beating your wife?" Yes travel would improve but it could be improved drastically if all privates were in Division II. The travel issue isn't the only part of it, of course. If you think it wouldn't be strange for a 450 BA or 850 MBA to be winning the largest football division, then sure bring 'em all back together. Funny how no public schools of those sizes would have any chance of doing so.

If you think it wouldn't be strange for a 450 BA or 850 MBA to be winning the largest football division, then sure bring 'em all back together. Funny how no public schools of those sizes would have any chance of doing so.

Do you consider it strange that Ravenwood won a 5A title in its third year of existence? Its funny how McGavock has been playing football for 30+ years and has one play-off win to its credit, while Ravenwood's first ever senior class already has a 5A title.

Do you consider it strange that Ravenwood won a 5A title in its third year of existence? Its funny how McGavock has been playing football for 30+ years and has one play-off win to its credit, while Ravenwood's first ever senior class already has a 5A title.

Remember, too, that for the majority of the 30 years, there was only TWO teams in a region that advanced (each district champ) and only in THREE classes that included ALL schools, and often it was Maplewood or Stratford.

Now that there are FOUR teams that advance in each region, it's easier for a start-up school to get a break here or there and advance. Notice "easier" not "easy". The run Ravenwood made was pretty spectacular; now let's see if they can come close again.

As for McGavock, the west side of Nashville (old District 11-AAA) has traditionally been a stronger football district than 12-AAA (basically east side of the river). Basketball was usually (not always) the reverse. And, frankly, McGavock has a history of choking on big games. No offense intended, just an observation and opinion. :lol:

VI

That wasn't the point. Cut Ravenwood's numbers by 2/3 and put them back in 5A, see how they'd do. That's BA's situation.