New Experimental Rule Announced

TheGreatLineJudge

I dont have the finer points just yet, but it was announced at the state rules meeting at FRA that verbal permission has been granted to Tennessee to allow libero serving during regular season and invitational tournament play.

As it is experimental, it will not be allowed in district, regional, sectional, or state tournament play.

More to come as the details are fleshed out. Anyone with firm information (please site source) is encouraged to share.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have the finer points just yet, but it was announced at the state rules meeting at FRA that verbal permission has been granted to Tennessee to allow libero serving during regular season and invitational tournament play.

As it is experimental, it will not be allowed in district, regional, sectional, or state tournament play.

More to come as the details are fleshed out. Anyone with firm information (please site source) is encouraged to share.

Can you please explain libero serving? I'm not familiar with that term. :)

Hope that TSSAA and coaches had been given some prior indication that this was a possibility, earlier, as it certainly could effect substitution patterns and skills training......and maybe not.

She will only be allowed to serve in one spot (can't serve for every person she replaces on the back row). I do like this rule and its definately a step in the right direction.

Also, Head Coaches can now stand up during dead balls and approach the court to instruct their team, (in the libero replacement zone and not in the attack zone) but must return to the bench when the whistle is blown to beckon the serve.

She will only be allowed to serve in one spot (can't serve for every person she replaces on the back row). I do like this rule and its definately a step in the right direction.

Also, Head Coaches can now stand up during dead balls and approach the court to instruct their team, (in the libero replacement zone and not in the attack zone) but must return to the bench when the whistle is blown to beckon the serve.

It seems, if all of these things are true, TN is finally starting to "progress" in the right direction. My only question about the libero serving, Will coaches use it during the season, when they can't come tourney time? If my memory serves me correctly, a couple of years ago when the libero position was "experimental", alot of coaches didn't use it much during the season because they knew at tourney time, it was not going to be an option.

It seems, if all of these things are true, TN is finally starting to "progress" in the right direction. My only question about the libero serving, Will coaches use it during the season, when they can't come tourney time? If my memory serves me correctly, a couple of years ago when the libero position was "experimental", alot of coaches didn't use it much during the season because they knew at tourney time, it was not going to be an option.

I, too, am impressed (and surprised) at how quickly the TSSAA reacted to this most recent rule change. Although experimental, it bodes well for our HS teams trying to keep competitive with college/international rules.

I would guess (purely speculation) that you are correct in your assumption that most coaches will not use Libero serving during the experimental period. Why would someone play a team all season with one set of rules and change the rules in the post season? I hope, though, to see it played out at invitationals.

Can you please explain libero serving? I'm not familiar with that term. :D

I don't confess to know the whole set of rules for libero serving, but based on what I've witnessed, here's a very brief overview. This is based on NCAA rules; I would believe that TSSAA libero serving will be similar, if not the same.

In short, the libero may serve in one position, and one position only. Here's a working example.

For this example, let's say you have six girls whose jersey numbers coincide with their starting positions. (In all positioning examples, the top left corner number is the serving position.) The way they'd look, to begin, on the floor would be:

Let's say the Libero is #7. For simplicity's sake, #7 for this team replaces #1 and #4 during the course of the match. (By the way, you wouldn't face this restriction in a real match, just trying to keep it simple.)

#1 is your weakest server and your libero is fairly solid. So, after the lineup has been checked and the official gives your player a nod (usually while the other team's lineup is being checked), the libero replaces #1. Now, on the floor:

L....6....5

The libero serves, finishes her service in the back row, and #1 replaces her, so you now have:

Since the libero is serving for #1, she can not come in and replace #4 until the other team has acquired the serve, nor could the libero replace anyone who has substituted for #4.

On defense, but not never on offense, you could see:

L....3....2

If #9 was substituted for #1, the libero could replace #9 when it's her time to serve, but if #9 is a reliable server, the libero will simply not serve that rotation. The libero may replace #1, #9, or anyone else who comes in at that position, because she serves the position, not any particular player.

I hope that helps. If I've been confusing or unclear or left something out, please post and I'll do my best to clarify. :D

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

I don't confess to know the whole set of rules for libero serving, but based on what I've witnessed, here's a very brief overview. This is based on NCAA rules; I would believe that TSSAA libero serving will be similar, if not the same.

In short, the libero may serve in one position, and one position only. Here's a working example.

For this example, let's say you have six girls whose jersey numbers coincide with their starting positions. (In all positioning examples, the top left corner number is the serving position.) The way they'd look, to begin, on the floor would be:

Let's say the Libero is #7. For simplicity's sake, #7 for this team replaces #1 and #4 during the course of the match. (By the way, you wouldn't face this restriction in a real match, just trying to keep it simple.)

#1 is your weakest server and your libero is fairly solid. So, after the lineup has been checked and the official gives your player a nod (usually while the other team's lineup is being checked), the libero replaces #1. Now, on the floor:

L....6....5

The libero serves, finishes her service in the back row, and #1 replaces her, so you now have:

Since the libero is serving for #1, she can not come in and replace #4 until the other team has acquired the serve, nor could the libero replace anyone who has substituted for #4.

On defense, but not never on offense, you could see:

L....3....2

If #9 was substituted for #1, the libero could replace #9 when it's her time to serve, but if #9 is a reliable server, the libero will simply not serve that rotation. The libero may replace #1, #9, or anyone else who comes in at that position, because she serves the position, not any particular player.

I hope that helps. If I've been confusing or unclear or left something out, please post and I'll do my best to clarify. :wacko:

Since I've seen it in college I know how it is supposed to work. I think the reluctance is making sure the scorekeepers can track it. I think that will hold it up here in KY.

Since I've seen it in college I know how it is supposed to work. I think the reluctance is making sure the scorekeepers can track it. I think that will hold it up here in KY.

I have no problem with the rule. The trouble will come because the libero tracker will now be very, very, busy and improtant. Can teams come up with a scorekeeper, tracker, scoreboard operator and two line judges. Things will be pretty exciting when both teams sub 2 or 3 players and the libero is replacing her server on one side and the other libero is subing in or out on the other side.

Wow :wacko:

I have no problem with the rule. The trouble will come because the libero tracker will now be very, very, busy and improtant. Can teams come up with a scorekeeper, tracker, scoreboard operator and two line judges. Things will be pretty exciting when both teams sub 2 or 3 players and the libero is replacing her server on one side and the other libero is subing in or out on the other side.

Wow :blink:

I thought someone may have posted that this is the rule the NCAA and International rules played under> Does anyone know if that is correct? Just asking for clarification.

I thought someone may have posted that this is the rule the NCAA and International rules played under> Does anyone know if that is correct? Just asking for clarification.

I know that it is an existing rule in the Women's NCAA but I'm not sure about International. I thought club rules and international were the same and club hasn't adopted Libero serving yet so I'm unsure.

One definitive set of rules would be nice. My oldest played Libero for 4 years in club and never did get to play it in HS because of the rule difference (instituted after she graduated). Score another point for club as she was recruited at the Libero position, which would not have been possible had she just played in HS...

Edited by play4keeps

Announcements