New Experimental Rule Announced

TheGreatLineJudge

I know that it is an existing rule in the Women's NCAA but I'm not sure about International. I thought club rules and international were the same and club hasn't adopted Libero serving yet so I'm unsure.

One definitive set of rules would be nice. My oldest played Libero for 4 years in club and never did get to play it in HS because of the rule difference (instituted after she graduated). Score another point for club as she was recruited at the Libero position, which would not have been possible had she just played in HS...

Appreciate the post. Then keeping up with substitutions with the LIBERO will not be an issue after some training because personnel will only have to inquire with someone like the GLJ or their nearest NCAA school to see the procedure they take to keep up with the procedure. It would be more complicated but doable. Seems if the key idea is a more consistant set of rules and is consistant with what the rules committee is doing and was evident last year when every district seemed to have a different idea how the sport was to be played. Someone who is pulling the strings understands the problems and is taking the bull by the horns and getting this sport more consistant. Doesn't mean everything is exactly right but consistancy is the word and then if something has to be changed, it can be done easily. Don't know who is doing this but, in my opinion, someone has been listening.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Libero can serve for a player in one rotation. For example our libero enters the court after a MH serves and plays the back row. she then comes out of the game and re-enters to serve for a different player, without having to stay off the court for one point. The Libero can only serve for that player the rest of the game. Theoretically you could have 3 people serve in one rotation if the original player served, the libero served, and a sub served.

I'd like to go into greater detail if/when I get something in writing from the state, but for the time being:

Libero can serve in one position per game. For example:

Game 1

---------------

..1.|..6.|..5..

..2.|..3.|..4..

If the libero replaces the player who started the game in Position 3 and then serves for her, the libero may serve only in Position 3 for the duration of Game 1.

If in Game 2, the above starting positions remain true, and the libero replaces Position 4 and serves for her, she may serve only in Position 4 for the duration of Game 2.

Just like being able to re-designate the libero before the start of each game, the libero starts afresh with where she may serve with a new game.

JS is correct in that three people may theoretically serve in during a single term-of-service. If #10 is in Position 5:

1. #10 serves three points

2. #10 is replaced by the Libero

3. the Libero serve two points

4. the Libero is replaced by #10

5. #15 substitutes for #10

6. #15 serves two points

7. the Libero replaces #15

8. the Libero serves another three points

9. the Libero is replaced by #15

10. #10 may re-substitute for #15

11. Repeat 1-10

That succession of events is legal and could theoretically happen all in one term-of-service.

After Position 5's term of service is over, the Libero can run in and out for back-row players just like normal.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

I'd like to go into greater detail if/when I get something in writing from the state, but for the time being:

Libero can serve in one position per game. For example:

Game 1

---------------

..1.|..6.|..5..

..2.|..3.|..4..

If the libero replaces the player who started the game in Position 3 and then serves for her, the libero may serve only in Position 3 for the duration of Game 1.

If in Game 2, the above starting positions remain true, and the libero replaces Position 4 and serves for her, she may serve only in Position 4 for the duration of Game 2.

Just like being able to re-designate the libero before the start of each game, the libero starts afresh with where she may serve with a new game.

JS is correct in that three people may theoretically serve in during a single term-of-service. If #10 is in Position 5:

1. #10 serves three points

2. #10 is replaced by the Libero

3. the Libero serve two points

4. the Libero is replaced by #10

5. #15 substitutes for #10

6. #15 serves two points

7. the Libero replaces #15

8. the Libero serves another three points

9. the Libero is replaced by #15

10. #10 may re-substitute for #15

11. Repeat 1-10

That succession of events is legal and could theoretically happen all in one term-of-service.

After Position 5's term of service is over, the Libero can run in and out for back-row players just like normal.

Thanks yall,

does the libero have to serve, if not, can she pick up a service rotation after the first full rotation(ie: comes in at last point of game and hits an ace) for whom ever, due to the fact she has not served until this point of the game?

Thanks yall,

does the libero have to serve, if not, can she pick up a service rotation after the first full rotation(ie: comes in at last point of game and hits an ace) for whom ever, due to the fact she has not served until this point of the game?

The libero is not required to serve. Let's say that you're at the 15th point in the game and the libero has not yet served, she may then replace the current server and serve.

Libero serving is not something you have to designate pre-game. In fact, you will never "designate" it; the libero will just come in and serve.

Announcements