Private school classification?

KYdigsTN

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Knoxville Catholic and asked what tuition was, A very pleasant lady said that it depended on whether or not I was Catholic. She said if I wasn't Catholic it was $7800 a year (roughly) and if I was Catholic it was $5200 a year (roughly.)

I asked why the difference. The answer I was given was that if I was Catholic my local parrish would make up the difference. She also said that it didn't matter if I was an athlete or not. If I was Catholic my local church made up the difference.

Here is my question. Rule 16 says that to play in Div 1 the only people that can pay the tuition is the parent or legal guardian. If someone else pays, (like the local church) then you go to Div 2. How can Catholic get past this rule when at least 25% of the players tuition is being paid by the church.

GLJ a rule interpretation would be good here.

By the way. The majority of the Catholic athletes at Knoxville Catholic take advantage of this benefit. Some get a bigger % of their tuition paid by having brothers and sisters in the system.

How is this legal.

Public school students don't have to pay any tuition. :) Using your logic, how is that legal?

Public school students don't have to pay any tuition. :) Using your logic, how is that legal?

The parish contribution is paid directly to the school and therfore the actual tuition cost is less the parish contribution. None of this assistence is given to the student directly, or to his or her parents, only straight to the school to offset the tremendous expense of running a school. So is there some extra financial assistence for catholic students who are contributing members of their parish, yes there is. After all, the people in the parishes are the ones who ultimately bulit the schools with their financial assistence to begin with. :)

Edited by fieldman

You need to read my earlier post again. I said that financial aid is based on need only, it doesn't matter whether you play sports or not. If you are Division I and want to play sports, you cannot accept financial aid from the school, if you are in Division II, then financial aid is there for anyone who applies and qualifies for it. The private schools who decided to stay in Division I cannot offer financial aid on tuition etc to athletes. There is a catholic and non catholic rate in all catholic schools at least in the Nashville diocese and I suspect in the Knoxville diocese as well. The non-catholic rate is substanially higher then the catholic rate. This is due to most catholic students individual parishes contributing a set amount for each student that comes from that parish that is a contributing member of the parish and has a parish card. If a student's parents are not a contributing member of a parish, that student pays the same rate as a non-catholic. It doesn't matter what faith you are, it still costs just as much to educate a child. In the last eight or so years that I have been associated with private schools, I have seen many good students both athletes and non-athletes have to leave due to not being able to afford the cost of private school education. :angry:

I reread your post and I apologize for being incorrect. It was DaddyJuice that said " BUT, if a student accepts financial aid he/she can not particiapte in TSSAA sanctioned sports in the public sector. Knox Cath does still offer financial aid, but none of its student-athletes can accept it."

I reread your post and I apologize for being incorrect. It was DaddyJuice that said " BUT, if a student accepts financial aid he/she can not particiapte in TSSAA sanctioned sports in the public sector. Knox Cath does still offer financial aid, but none of its student-athletes can accept it."

Unfortunately, that is correct, if you are in Division I which Knoxville Catholic elected to be or stay, an athlete cannot play sports and receive financial aid. Only in D-II can you accept financial aid and still be eligible for sports. All students receive aid in some form or another, for instance in public schools, what parent could afford the cost of educating their child without the help of thousands of taxpayers, even the taxpayers of private school students. I want fairness on the playing field and off it, how this is ever achieved fully is still unanswered. Here's to all our athletes having a safe school year and season and to thank them for all the joy they give so many of us. :angry:

Edited by fieldman

My guess is Anderson County schools have a policy that would allow out of county students to attend but pay a premium (because they don't contribute to to county in the form of property taxes, etc). Would you then deem the regular AC students to be receiving assistance?

That`s the case in Memphis. You could live in Arkansas, Mississippi, or any other surrounding county and be allowed to attend a school in Memphis, but you have to pay a premium. Oh but wait..that means that they can get athletes from anywhere. :D

That`s the case in Memphis. You could live in Arkansas, Mississippi, or any other surrounding county and be allowed to attend a school in Memphis, but you have to pay a premium. Oh but wait..that means that they can get athletes from anywhere. <_<

So do those schools play in Div II?

That way of doing things just doesn't seem right, even if those teams are in Div II.