Is this legal?

topvol98

Not trying to bash or anything but from the article it sounds that the coaches planned the "voluntary" workout and know who attended them, with the "incentive" of the trip to the Bowl game it seems to really create an way to to circumvent the "dead period". I"m not crying or anything but if it's legal might want to put together and similair incentive for my son's school next summer.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...69688&rfi=6

Edited by topvol98

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that during the dead period the schools facilities couldn't be used. On the other hand the kids were doing something positive. I think the dead period is sort of a silly rule. But I do understand its purpose. Keep those over coaches zealous from ruining a kids summer.

Edited by redandblack63

all athletic facilities on campus are to be locked up and no one can use them...technically players are not suppose to have any contact with coaches during dead period.....either this coach is crazy for contributing to this story or the TSSAA has said it was alright so he is not worried

Edited by coach15

Coach Brewer has been around the block more than once, so its hard for me to believe he would put his team in a position to get busted like this. From the sound of the article Sevier County did this last year as well with players getting a trip to the Music City bowl and nothing happened to them. Of course maybe no one turned them in, hope its not true because Sevier County is going to have a pretty good team this season and I`d hate to see a good team get left out of the post season or worse.

Coach Brewer has been around the block more than once, so its hard for me to believe he would put his team in a position to get busted like this. From the sound of the article Sevier County did this last year as well with players getting a trip to the Music City bowl and nothing happened to them. Of course maybe no one turned them in, hope its not true because Sevier County is going to have a pretty good team this season and I`d hate to see a good team get left out of the post season or worse.

I doubt it was in the paper last yr. If it had been , I think they would have been turned in. If they get by with this, then everyone will follow suit. I think they should just do away with the dead period anyway.

Man, we're going to just need a link to the TSSAA Handbook by the time the season starts. From Page 26:

Summer Practice: In the summer, in football, schools may not practice in pads until the Monday of the week of August 1. (It is permissible to wear helmets prior to the beginning practice date). Competition as a school team shall be limited in all team sports (football, girls volleyball, girls soccer, basketball, baseball, softball and soccer) to 10 days of school-against-school competition. In fall sports, this would apply to the period of time from the end of school until the Monday of the week of August 1 (opening day of practice). In other sports, this would apply from the end of the school year to the beginning of the following school year.

Dead Period: All schools will observe a two-week dead period during the week preceding the Fourth of July week and the week of the Fourth of July. During this two-week dead period there can be no coaching or any contact or observation by any coach, faculty or non-faculty, with any student-athletes unless written permission has been granted by the Executive Director upon written request from the principal or athletic director of the school.

Open Facilities: A school may open its facilities to all students in their school and coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. No practice schedules may be followed, the facilities must be open to everyone in the school, and coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only.

Definitions

1. Practice – Coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc. going on.

2. Open facilities – Coach serves in supervisory capacity only. There is no teaching, no instructions, no coaching, etc.

3. Tournament -- A competition of three or more teams and three or more games, matches, etc., where there is advancement to determine a champion. It is held on successive days with no regular season games being played during the tournament.

4. Dead Period -- No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players. All indoor facilities of schools must be closed unless approved in writing by the Executive Director.

5. Weight Training/Conditioning Program -- Permitted at all times except during the dead period. During the off-season, it must be open to all students, cannot be required, and must be a program that would benefit all students (not sport specific).

6. When Is There TSSAA Catastrophic Insurance Coverage? -- TSSAA catastrophic insurance coverage occurs in any practice situation permitted by the sports calendar and provided there is supervision by a coach as defined by Article I, Section 9 (non-faculty coaches must be registered by the school to TSSAA). Catastrophic insurance coverage does not apply to open facilities, out-of-season weightlifting, or conditioning programs, etc.undefined

The rules say that only indoor facilities must be closed and that coaches can't participate. SCHS seems in the clear here. It doesn't say anything about the school not being able to be use outdoor facilities. However, the word "conditioning" brings up a whole new argument. #5 under definitions says weight-training/conditioning. Does that mean the same thing, or just indoor traditional weight training? Seems to be open a little more for interpertation than the Ravenwood issue.

Of course, if Mr. Carter approved it, it doesn't matter anyway.

I doubt it was in the paper last yr. If it had been , I think they would have been turned in. If they get by with this, then everyone will follow suit. I think they should just do away with the dead period anyway.

I don`t agree with doing away with the dead period, for some its the only off time they get all year. Especially player that play other sports. As soon as football season is over b-ball season starts, after b-ball you have workouts all the way till the dead period, then camp. Throw in a job, and a kid has no life during high school outside of sports.