Is this legal?

topvol98

The kids playing AAU bball and baseball play all the way thru it....so how does it help? It seems like the sport that suffers the most is football....the one where staying conditioned is the most important b/c of the heat and pads In August. No other sport has to wear such heavy gear and play outdoors in the sweltering heat.

If they want the dead period....fine......make it the 1st 2 weeks in June then so there isn't the lapse that is so crucial to conditioning.

Edited by 2priceless

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want the dead period....fine......make it the 1st 2 weeks in June then so there isn't the lapse that is so crucial to conditioning.

I don`t have a problem with that idea, I think breaks keep kids from getting burned out or choosing to play only one sport

Even if it is illegal it doesn't matter. The T$$AA has rules but no teeth. Recruiting is rampant T$$AA knows about and nothing is done. Breaking the dead period would only get a slap on the wrist anyway.

I agree very creative by SC coaches.

You might want to talk to Ravenwood's coach about penalties. They got into pads a few days too early and are paying a penalty of going without pads this week and no scrimmages until the 10th which is about when most preseason jamborees will be played. TSSAA probably doesn not do enough, but Ravenwood is paying a price, I feel, appropriate for the offense. Personally, I don't think I'd care to be a 'policeman' or 'judge' for the TSSAA.

How do you "close" a field with no fence around it ???

If the main gate to the school is open anyone can get to the SCHS practice field at any time they want.

At the school I teach at the main gate of the school is open nearly every day of the summer and it is not a HS.

Sounds to me like the rule was bent but not broken. The summertime TSSAA rules have been bent and broken for years without much being done. Remember the Alcoa

attendence of a football camp that seemed pretty shady a couple of years back. Didn't seem to effect that team too much.

Sounds to me like a smart idea to cheat and bend the rules. I thought facilities were off limits and supposed to be closed. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what we told our kids.

Read post 12. Straight from the TSSAA handbook. Only indoor facilities are off-limits, and coaches cannot have contact with players.

Seems to me no rule was broken or anyone cheated, but instead a loophole was found. If it is such as issue, tell your AD or principal to raise it at the next TSSAA regional meeting.

Read post 12. Straight from the TSSAA handbook. Only indoor facilities are off-limits, and coaches cannot have contact with players.

Seems to me no rule was broken or anyone cheated, but instead a loophole was found. If it is such as issue, tell your AD or principal to raise it at the next TSSAA regional meeting.

As others have pointed out this was indeed done last year as well and was publicized in local newspaper articles with quotes from coach Brewer himself. There's no cover up going on.

Brewer has not only been around the block a few times but is also president of the Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association so I would assume he was not naive enough to implement this program without first having gotten prior clearance from the TSSAA.

That was about a stupid comment. How in the heck do you know how 99.9% of coaches feel about anything? Because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's correct or that more than 5 other people feel the same as you. Don't make wholesale statements that are presented as facts and are actually unsubstaniated opinion and you won't look so stupid in your future posts.

Ole Dad

I know it says indoor facilities, but I think the intent is all gyms and fields that are used for sports...that is the way that 99.9% of coaches and athletic directors understand it

That was about a stupid comment. How in the heck do you know how 99.9% of coaches feel about anything? Because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's correct or that more than 5 other people feel the same as you. Don't make wholesale statements that are presented as facts and are actually unsubstaniated opinion and you won't look so stupid in your future posts.

Ole Dad

hahahahahaha...owned.

Ole Dad

well the last time I checked I was not stupid, the majority of coaches understand what I said to be the rule...apparently it is not since this team can do this..all its going to do now is to let more teams try "new things" just to see what they can get away with...the TSSAA needs to get on top of this now before they have major problems

scbear,

You are right Brewer has been around the block a time or two. Didn't SC get into trouble a few years back about illegal scrimmages in Chatt.?

What he did is not illegal. From what I understand you can take the weights out into the parking lot and lift, you just can not have any coach or school personnel present when it happens. To have the seniors take a leadership role, even at the urging of Brewer, is a good idea to me. Bet if a certain Powell player had played at SC he would not be facing the trouble his is now facing.