Region 3 AAAA Predictions

redandblack63

It appears Maryville is in the the drivers seat. Sure they lost alot but they just reload with homegrown boys and a transfer here and there. They have several DI prospects to go along with a large number of hard nosed skilled players. Maples has already commited for this year, Douglas has commited for 2008, Baker is a possible DI canidate and certainly I AA, and Burnette Q.B. 1-A is another possible DI prospect and he can't even win the starting job. So needless to say they have reloaded and should repeat as Region Champion.

Powell is my #2 pick. They have a stellar line that only lacks depth. If they avoid injury they should be able to dominate up front. Skill positons got a big boast with yet another Central transfer. Maybe he plays Q.B. which could make for a little controversy since Abba thought it was his job coming out of spring or he could play W.R. but then who would throw him the ball. Quality R.B. returning and a very good F.B. Defensive front will be good but secondary could be a problem. Biggest problem Powell has is that many players have to go both ways. That makes it tough against Maryville.

Central is #3. They will be young and as always they will have to develop an offensive line. They also lost alot on defense but the Bush kid is an all star performer. Styles and Wilson have the athletic abilty to be stars but they are likely to make mistakes due to inexperience. MacMillian will be a solid Q.B. Central will come up with players to fill all of the holes but I am not sure they will be of the same quality as the past couple of years.

Halls is #4 A. Young, inexperienced, but more athletic than the past. Defense lost everyone. But the replacements did get meaningful minutes last year. Offense is very inexperienced. Dayton returns at receiver after a very good Jr. year. Rumor has it the Q.B. is 6"5" and can throw the ball very well. But last year the line couldn't protect. It will be hard for him to throw from his back. Like Powell and Central quality depth is a problem. If they can stay close they can win with the kicking game. Another o Conner will be there to save the day.

West is 4 B. Every year folks hype West. Yes they have a very good Q.B. and a playmaking W.R. They also have other good skill position players and a few good lineman. But until they live up to the hype I just can't see them in the play off picture.

The rest of the region is just playing for respect. S.D., L.C., and Clinton are just to far down to make the top 4. Certainly these teams will be improved but I don't look for them to be in the play off hunt.

Maryville will be tough again. I believe Redrage/Rednblack is sandbagging Central. Central has been very good since 1998. I see no reason they won't be very good again. Powell always has them huge kids on the line. What do they feed those kids? I believe Knox West will be a handful for anyone. Halls is getting better since Julian has taken over. Region 3 4A is very tough. It is a dogfight in this region.