Powell/Alcoa scrimmage

Drega06

it went pretty good for both teams. Powell's D produced many turnovers, but the way the scrimmage was set up Alcoa scored on some long pass plays and one or two run plays after these turnovers happened. But mostly Powell's D did really well against Aloca. Powell's O did well. I dont think they turned the ball over when the starters were in. Powell had some good plays but didnt score bc they only went 10 plays at a time on offense, but when those plays ended they were usually pretty close to the goal line. Powell did score once when the teams went to their goal line formations. Both Powell and Alcoa looked really good with both having some big plays.

The First teams where pretty closely matched.

Alcoa turned the ball over 5-6 times. Powell, maybe 2?

Alcoa's 1st team scored when QB Cobb tucked the ball and ran for the TD. This score was shortly after Alcoa fumbed the ball.

Next offensive series for Alcoa, QB Cobb threw an interception, which Powell ran back for a score.

Powell on offense steadity moved the ball across the field, but never could score in the ten offensive plays. But they did move the ball more consistantly than Alcoa which would tend to stall then hit the big play.

On Alcoa's next 1st team series, Powell shut them down only to have Cobb scramble for his life and throw it deep to Brian Summers for a score.

Again, these two scores would not of happened in a real game due to fumbles and interceptions. Alcoa's got alot of works to do there.

In Goal line series, Powell scored on two back to back plays with the last being a QB keeper/scramble. Nice run.

I was some what surprised to see Alcoa's 2nd team play so well against Powell's 2nd team. I would have to give the edge to Alcoa. They scored 3 times and held Powell without scoring.

Edited by BCsportsfan

I agree that the teams did look evenly matched. There's no question as to why Alcoa is top in the state. Sykes is very strong and I'm inclined to agree he is one of the best defensive players I've seen.

While Powell can excuse Alcoa's touchdowns to the fact that in a typical game they would have not had the ball, I think it's only fair to point out that adapting to the type of play is what should be important. I just don't think that mentally a team should let up because it's that moment that the opponent will take advantage of. No excuses.

Powell has some talent that is going to be suprising. Overall, their precision and accuracy are slightly off, but here again, that's mental. Tibby and Price need to step it up and catch the ball. Goody and Miller did a good job holding off Sykes on offense. The defensive unit is powerful, but need some game-lasting endurance. Brandon Evans and Kenny Cruze have the potential to do awesome things this year. Powell's weaknesses are mental.

It will be interesting to see how both teams do this season. Good Luck to both teams.

Edited by Ntheknow2

I feel that the mental aspect has been Powells problem the last couple of years. They have certainly pocessed the physical attributes to be champions.

Who started at Q.B. Abba or Cruze. If Cruze didn't play Q.B. where did he play on offense.

Powell will be very successful if they can focus on the task had hand, do away with the trash talking, and play hard nosed smash mouth football.

I feel that the mental aspect has been Powells problem the last couple of years. They have certainly pocessed the physical attributes to be champions.

Who started at Q.B. Abba or Cruze. If Cruze didn't play Q.B. where did he play on offense.

Powell will be very successful if they can focus on the task had hand, do away with the trash talking, and play hard nosed smash mouth football.

Both Abba and Kenny played QB. Also they put Kenny at WR sometimes and Abba had an interception when he played on I think 2nd team D. Kenny played some safety and had some good tackles. So both look really good at different pos. whoever starts at QB.

Edited by Drega06

LOL...no it is not, but it takes a while under any new coach

Wingman, do you know Gary? He seems like a good guy. His family is very excited to be in a "smaller" environment. I can understand. I graduated from Alcoa over 20 years ago, but lived the Boro for years and still have friends and business associates there. Just too dang busy for me! Still great people at Riverdale. I know many teachers there. I used to live next to Ron Crawford years ago before he took the job at Manchester. I can remember when Coach Gardner was just a little boy at Church.

Wingman, do you know Gary? He seems like a good guy. His family is very excited to be in a "smaller" environment. I can understand. I graduated from Alcoa over 20 years ago, but lived the Boro for years and still have friends and business associates there. Just too dang busy for me! Still great people at Riverdale. I know many teachers there. I used to live next to Ron Crawford years ago before he took the job at Manchester. I can remember when Coach Gardner was just a little boy at Church.

i know gary. he's a good man. i know that he did want to get his sons in a prviate school before they went to high school.