Brentwood/Riverdale Scrimmage

masterpastor

Personally, the scrimmage between R'dale and Brentwood couldn't very easily be judged for a couple of reasons. For instance, while the first OL for Bwood was going through inside run, their starting QB and RB's were at a 7 on 7 passing drill. And in vice versa order, the whole linebacking crew for bwood wasn't given ANY snaps at run, and solely focussed on pass.

Although i usually don't like to pick a winner or better team especially when it's more of a very organized practice I would have to say that Riverdale looked more prepared but Brentwood had a lot of fight in them especially on the long 3rd down plays and goalline. Riverdale was clicking on offense but couldn't seem to stop the run and short pass game. Overall Riverdale wa more polished.

Can anyone give me info about #7 for riverdale? And from reading I hear he's not the starter but after seeing him play in person i feel confident in saying he would be a starter at nearly any other school. Thanks

That happens alot at R'dale. Players here that would start at any other school are playing second, or third team at R'dale as they are VERY deep.

That and trying to not play so many both ways is one of the secrets of their success. That does not mean they can't play both ways as even the starters are trained to play other positions on the other side of the ball for 'just in case'. For four years I have watched them prepare at least '4' deep at positions. During the 'clones' junior year he played EVERY position on the O-line except center. Both guard and tackle positions and even got in at TE a couple of plays.

QB is usually 4 deep as well.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hayes is Brentwood's QB. If you follow Brentwood football closely at all, you'll see that Hayes was a productive WR for the Bruins last year. With McCurdy gone and no one more ready to take over the spot than Hayes, he'll be the starter and will look to continually improve throughout the season.

Hayes looks good on run and short passing, but still needs a little work on pressure situations and the intermediate passing game. Look for screens and runnning to be a strong part of the offense the first two weeks.

Personally, the scrimmage between R'dale and Brentwood couldn't very easily be judged for a couple of reasons. For instance, while the first OL for Bwood was going through inside run, their starting QB and RB's were at a 7 on 7 passing drill. And in vice versa order, the whole linebacking crew for bwood wasn't given ANY snaps at run, and solely focussed on pass.

I think that's by design. One week from the start of the season you don't want anybody walking out too high or too low. The coaches saw where they needed to focus some extra attention and that's all they wanted from this scrimmage. They also got some very physical work against a quality opponent and that will pay dividends over the coming weeks.

I'm guessing Riverdale will be working on defensing run game quite a bit this week.

Unless Riverdale puts an OL or LB as the RB on scout team, not too much can simulate Corven

i wont dispute that much, but that didnt stop them from holdin corven back in the past...same Dline from last year. i said in the other thread that due to his experience and that he's a pretty proven RB, its unfair to say that he wont be the best back on the field friday night...BUT, in my opinion he wont even be the 2nd leading rusher (unless our defense was to slip up and let him get a couple long runs, but if he has to fight for every yard like im anticipating, he wont even be the 2nd leading rusher) because of what he's up against