Powell @ Knox Webb

osunut2

Webb's offense looked impressive once again, this time against West last night. The last 2 times Powell and Webb have met, the Panthers have dominated the stat column, yet the Spartans won both contests, 13-12 last year and 30-27 two years ago. This is a tough test for both teams. Webb continues to run a well-executed Wing-T offense, which gave Powell fits in '03 and '04. The Panthers seemed to solve the Webb ground attack last year, but turnovers killed the Panthers, along with a botched PAT. What are everyone's thoughts on this game? I like Webb in this one, even though the Panthers are due to beat the Spartans. Powell has lost the last 3 times these 2 have met, but I'm sticking with Webb, 24-14.

Edited by osunut2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should be a really good game. i'm really having trouble pickin a team here, should be a great game just like the last couple years, and the webb vs. west game. will webb already having a game under their belt help? i think it might be an advantage, we'll see. i guess i'll take webb by 3 or 7

I say this game will depend on the O-lines of Webb and Powell. Both are known to run the ball very well. Both running the ball and creating turnovers will be the difference in this game. I think Powell's D will be up to the task of stopping this running game though. Powel wins it by 3

should be a really good game. i'm really having trouble pickin a team here, should be a great game just like the last couple years, and the webb vs. west game. will webb already having a game under their belt help? i think it might be an advantage, we'll see. i guess i'll take webb by 3 or 7

Last year, Webb's opener against West did give the Spartans the opportunity to work out some kinks. They didn't look all that clean against West or Powell last year, but they already look much better against Halls (jamboree) and West this year. Powell will have to hold onto the football if they want to beat Webb.

Edited by osunut2

just noticed that the last 2 years games were @ powell and webb won, will it make a difference now that webb gets to play at home. theyve beaten them at powell i would think it would only be an advantage

I don't really think home-field makes a ton of difference in high school, although I can think of a few places with big fan bases where home field advantage does play a role (Maryville, Oak Ridge, the stadium @ Tennessee High). I went to the Powell-Webb game 3 years ago at Webb, and the Panthers were manhandled, although there were more Powell fans than Spartan fans there. All I have to say is if you want to go to this game, get there early (at least 30 or 40 min), cause that stadium doesn't hold too many people.

Edited by osunut2

I don't really think home-field makes a ton of difference in high school, although I can think of a few places with big fan bases where home field advantage does play a role (Maryville, Oak Ridge, the stadium @ Tennessee High). I went to the Powell-Webb game 3 years ago at Webb, and the Panthers were manhandled, although there were more Powell fans than Spartan fans there. All I have to say is if you want to go to this game, get there early (at least 30 or 40 min), cause that stadium doesn't hold too many people.

Also you have to remember 3 years ago the Panthers were 4-7 and got whipped by Chattanooga Central in the 1st round of the play-offs. Then two years ago Powell lost because of mental mistakes and fumbles. It was the same situation last year. From watching the Panthers when they scrimmaged Alcoa, I think Powell can win this because of turnovers. If Powell's D can slow down that Wing-T O and cause turnovers then Powell will win this game.