Campbell Co vs. Jefferson Co.

CougarTrav02

Unless we (Jeff Co.) either throw the ball more to Sherod or move him to the backfield and McFall to wideout, where they should be playing respectively anyhow, then we're going to have a tough time moving the ball again.

Our best player is Sherod and they threw the ball at him I believe a whopping 2 times in the MoWest game. We need to get him more involved. Our best passing plays are the crossing routes (like we scored on), yet we never throw them more than once or twice a game, instead opting for the fade routes that never seem to connect.

I think Sherod should be a RB instead, where he has the size and speed to break tackles, something McFall, for all of his speed, simply doesn't have. He should be the one sprinting downfield for the passes.

Until we either start throwing the ball in the middle more (and use those TE's too!), or get a stronger RB, we're going to face stacked defenses that are going to be difficult to run against with a smaller tailback. Also, use Stepp's size advantage and throw him the ball on something other than a fade route.

We have a better team this year, but our offensive play calling will need to improve. It was only a matter of time before Gatlin got hurt when you call QB run after QB run after QB run. Besides, Zach is quicker and if you're going to call those plays and roll the dice on not hurting your QB, then you might as well put your best running QB in the game to do so.

I hope we can hold up for 4 quarters this week. Our players played their tails off for 2 quarters last week, but simply ran out of gas. It's tough playing both sides of the ball at this level, but it's something we're going to have to deal with.

Good luck to both schools.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we (Jeff Co.) either throw the ball more to Sherod or move him to the backfield and McFall to wideout, where they should be playing respectively anyhow, then we're going to have a tough time moving the ball again.

Our best player is Sherod and they threw the ball at him I believe a whopping 2 times in the MoWest game. We need to get him more involved. Our best passing plays are the crossing routes (like we scored on), yet we never throw them more than once or twice a game, instead opting for the fade routes that never seem to connect.

I think Sherod should be a RB instead, where he has the size and speed to break tackles, something McFall, for all of his speed, simply doesn't have. He should be the one sprinting downfield for the passes.

Until we either start throwing the ball in the middle more (and use those TE's too!), or get a stronger RB, we're going to face stacked defenses that are going to be difficult to run against with a smaller tailback. Also, use Stepp's size advantage and throw him the ball on something other than a fade route.

We have a better team this year, but our offensive play calling will need to improve. It was only a matter of time before Gatlin got hurt when you call QB run after QB run after QB run. Besides, Zach is quicker and if you're going to call those plays and roll the dice on not hurting your QB, then you might as well put your best running QB in the game to do so.

I hope we can hold up for 4 quarters this week. Our players played their tails off for 2 quarters last week, but simply ran out of gas. It's tough playing both sides of the ball at this level, but it's something we're going to have to deal with.

Good luck to both schools.

I don`t think Sherrod is a natural at RB, Sherrod is a perfect fit at WR IMO. He can outrun or outjump just about anyone we`d face. Stepp is a big kid and all, but from what I heard isn`t very aggressive with the ball in the air, I can only go on what I hear because we didn`t throw him any passes in scrimmage and game that I saw. I agree with you about McFall, RB just doesn`t seem to be the place for him. A 3 WR set with Sherrod, Stepp, and Mcfall would be tough for any team to match up with. There was a RB that ran with the 2nd team in the Farragut scrimmage that looked like more of a natural RB. I think we should at least give him a look with the 1st unit and see how it works. Our best weapons are at WR right now, and we need to use them, instead of banging our head against the wall running up the middle, especially with the QB. A potent passing game would help us run the ball a lot better than we currently do. Before the West game Don Woods mentioned that our WR's could cause a lot of matches problems, sadly that never happened. I know Coach Euverard likes that power I football, but we simply don`t have power I people. Why try to plug a square peg in a round hole, when you have a round peg laying right next to you?

BTW any news on Spencer?

I'm not sure why the RB McFall is the topic. He is a soph and he had 91 yd. on 15 carries.....6 yd. per carry average. He had a 35 yd run called back because of block in the back that had no bearing on the run. His average would have been 7.8 yds/carry. Considering the conservative play calling, thats not too bad.

The fact is that we don't have another RB that can run a 40 under 4.9 , so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Sherrod is a great natural athlete but he needs to learn to go hard on evey play.

The fact is we are only 1 snap from either Sherrod or McFall being our QB.

IF we had another fast RB, then McFall could play QB and give us the speed to run option and get to the corners. You need speed to open things up and lets face it.....JC does not have alot of team speed. McFall, Sherrod and Stepp are the only ones that can run better than a 4.8

Speed isn't the issue with McFall, it's his size. His weight in particular. When you're playing in a division where D-linemen can pull you down with one arm, then you need more strength to break tackles. McFall put up many of those yards late in the game against MoWest's second unit (and after Gatlin got hurt and stopped running the QB draw.

Speed doesn't do any good if you can't break free to use it. I'm not sure QB is the position for McFall either, he doesn't have the height to see over the line. He's a very tough kid, but he just lacks size for the position he's playing. He's more suited to play a position such as WR where he can use that speed in the open field to get open.

As for Sherod, if he were more active in the offense then i'm sure you'd see a different football team. Also, i've saying for a year now that we should get the TE's involved in the passing game over the middle of the field, that's what they're for. We finally throw the ball (one time) to them and what happens? We score. That play works in the middle of the field too.

Another RB option, would be David Sims, the sophomore from Jeff Co. He was the lone RB outisde of the starters that, on a kickoff return, didn't turn his back just before taking the hit. He lowered his head and actually delivered the hit, at full speed.

I'm not sure why the RB McFall is the topic. He is a soph and he had 91 yd. on 15 carries.....6 yd. per carry average. He had a 35 yd run called back because of block in the back that had no bearing on the run. His average would have been 7.8 yds/carry. Considering the conservative play calling, thats not too bad.

The fact is that we don't have another RB that can run a 40 under 4.9 , so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Sherrod is a great natural athlete but he needs to learn to go hard on evey play.

The fact is we are only 1 snap from either Sherrod or McFall being our QB.

IF we had another fast RB, then McFall could play QB and give us the speed to run option and get to the corners. You need speed to open things up and lets face it.....JC does not have alot of team speed. McFall, Sherrod and Stepp are the only ones that can run better than a 4.8

What good is that speed if you tip toe through the line,don`t make the right cuts, and can`t or won`t finish off a run? Speed is great and all, but you need more than that.I think Sherrod would go hard every play if he wasn`t totally spent, when your returing both kicks and punts, starting at safety and WR you have to expect him not to go 100% every play. Depth is a huge concern for the rest of the season.

I believe billiard mentioned the RB I was talking about, I`m not sure what his name is. He wore #31 at the Farragut scrimmage.

JC,

the backup running backs are 26 Ben Moore and 31 David Simms. Simms was the starting back at Maury two years ago but is very prone to fumbles, unless he has corrected that recently. But with the offense Maury runs, he is used to running up the middle. McFall meanwhile was a qb in middle school. Both are sophomores.

I talked with Spencer yesterday, the doctors told him nothing was torn, just a severe sprain. Said it could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. So if you are an extreme optimist, that would be the east game, if you an extreme pessimist, it would be almost the rest of the season.

Three what in a row? touchdowns?

Not a fan of either team, but someone who has kept up with the misfortunes of the Cougars. So I appreciate your humor. But after watching them on a local cable channel in their first game, I think they have a chance at "another" good season. They look like they might be competitive, like they were year before last.

Edited by oskie

Not a fan of either team, but someone who has kept up with the misfortunes of the Cougars. So I appreciate your humor. But after watching them on a local cable channel in their first game, I think they have a chance at "another" good season. They look like they might be competitive, like they were year before last.

No, im serious. Three in a row what? If you are talking about wins, CC is 1-1 this season.