New Chain Gang Rule

travelball

I think this horse has been beaten to death. But I think that we all agree that the officals (definetly myself included!!) need to do a better job of enforcing the rules to keep the coaches in the coaches box and players in the players box. That being said, this new rule give the head linesman and linejudges more incentive to maintain the sidelines. Will everyone listen and obey the rules at first? Probably not! This change will take time to be effective.

So, let's let time tell how good this rule is.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed certain teams have been mentioned for not complying with the rules. I think you would be hard pressed to find any team that always stays behind the line! As far as setting the markers go, it was not that difficult to set them a few yards back from the sideline. However before the midpoint of the 1st quarter, due to coaches and players being in the box, we were only about a yard away from the actual sideline for the remainder of the game. As far as acuracy goes, the answer would be to mark yard marks on the line they want the chains to stay behind. I could possibly see the need for a side judge who does nothing but monitors the sidelines, coaches, players, and chain gang. Do we really want another official with another flag? I dont think so. Also, i personally think that noone under 13 or 14 should be on the sidelines at this level of football.

Edited by dp6fan

Okay...here is what happened at my last game. The ref told me it was 6 yards behind the sideline. I know that can`t be right. He also said that at the end of the rule it said "where applicable".

We ended up staying about a yard off the sideline. One problem I had was even though I`m a yard back, it just left room for the coaches to get in the way. It became difficult to spot the ball because the coaches were now standing in front of me.

I also had to run a trainer out of the way. We were moving the chains and their team trainer was in our way and I told her that she needed to stand back. I was instantly told that she did not..."I`m the trainer and I have to be here in case I`m needed". I told her "ummm..yeah. You do." The linesman quickly told her to stay out of the way.

Does anyone actually know why the TSSAA implemented this rule?