New Coach, Old results for Powell

crystal5puppy

It is good to see that some things will never change. Coach Lowe and his determined Panthers managed to lose, yet again, to an undersized and less talented Webb team. The Powell program is proof positive that no matter how many DI players or talented transfers that end up on your roster, you still have to show up and execute on the field to win. There is simply no comparison. GQ suspends 2 starters and still manages to beat one of the most talented squads in East Tennessee. Helton takes a very young Central team and blows out a well regarded 5A Farragut team. And Powell does what..... Powell always seems to do. Underperform. No worries though; bring on Clinton, South Doyle, etc. and Powell will sneak into the playoffs as a 4 seed, just in time to exit after a first round loss.

It is good to see that some things will never change. Coach Lowe and his determined Panthers managed to lose, yet again, to an undersized and less talented Webb team. The Powell program is proof positive that no matter how many DI players or talented transfers that end up on your roster, you still have to show up and execute on the field to win. There is simply no comparison. GQ suspends 2 starters and still manages to beat one of the most talented squads in East Tennessee. Helton takes a very young Central team and blows out a well regarded 5A Farragut team. And Powell does what..... Powell always seems to do. Underperform. No worries though; bring on Clinton, South Doyle, etc. and Powell will sneak into the playoffs as a 4 seed, just in time to exit after a first round loss.

You seem to be suffering from Panther envy. It seems a little early in the season to be judging a team or first-year coach. I thought Powell showed pretty well and will be a tough team to beat when they don't beat themselves.

crystal5puppydogg,

I couldn't agree with you more. Seem like the Powell pussycats are should have, would have, could have wannabes down pat.

And yes, before all of you moronic Powell people say, you just might beat the Devils this year (for the 2nd year in a row). Neither team has done this in the last 5-6 years but you might this year.

crystal5puppy and reddevil1,

good to see that you guys are so quick to criticize and call people moronic, considering you both managed to post things that aren't factual....crystal5.....Powell hasn't finished below 3rd in the region since 2000, but good call on the whole finishing in 4th AGAIN. Also, Powell has made it to the 2nd round and been put out by Maryville 3 of the last 4 years.....How many years do we have to go back for Karns to be in the 2nd round 3 of 4 years? reddevil, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just might be wrong about it being 5 or 6 years since either Powell or Halls has won consecutive games against each other since it was last season that Powell beat Halls for the 2nd consecutive year and 3rd time in the last 4 meetings. Nice research though.

Edited by PantherFan87

I agree, the Panthers had another frustrating loss to Webb, and yes, I've been barking about the same coaching frustrations, but I have to admit, I saw some things on Friday night that I've not seen from Powell in a really long time (maybe ever). Predictability has done in Powell for years, and there was some fairly creative playcalling when the game was on the line Friday night. The problem came down to holding on to the football. I agree, fundamentals such as holding onto the ball are inexcusable. Can the fumbles be blamed on the coaching? Yes and no. No one expects Powell to suddenly go undefeated by simply making a coaching change. We are fortunate to have the talent that we have, and hopefully it will all come together at some point. Maybe not this season, but I don't expect Coach Lowe to be the savior of this program. Remember, this team lost 3 or 4 DI players from last year, most of them at the skill position. Quarles and Helton are by far the 2 best coaches in region 3. It's going to take a year or 2 before we find out just how good Lowe can be. I don't have a problem with anyone criticizing Powell for their debacle against Webb, especially from Halls fans. I have been second guessing Powell for the last few years because it is frustrating to see all of this individual talent go to waste. For you Halls fans out there, you guys are more in danger of anyone else in region 3 of falling further and further behind region 3's top tier teams (Maryville, Central, Powell). I'm not saying that Powell is necessarily a top tier team, but they do have the top tier talent. Halls doesn't exactly have 'it' anymore, partially because of the movement from Halls to Gibbs, Central, Carter, Powell, Karns, and even Union County. Good thing West looks shaky this year, otherwise you'd miss out on the playoffs.

Don't count on Clinton being a W so quick. They are much better. It looks like this to me:

1. Maryville

2. Central

3. ?

4. ?

It's wide open! Everybody else fighting for 3 and 4, including Clinton Dragons and South Doyle is much better. Don't let that loss to Carter fool you. SD had 5 turns, add in a fluky 75 yard opening kickoff return that proved to be the difference. It really is wide open and I'm including SD and Clinton. JMO

crystal5puppy and reddevil1,

good to see that you guys are so quick to criticize and call people moronic, considering you both managed to post things that aren't factual....crystal5.....Powell hasn't finished below 3rd in the region since 2000, but good call on the whole finishing in 4th AGAIN. Also, Powell has made it to the 2nd round and been put out by Maryville 3 of the last 4 years.....How many years do we have to go back for Karns to be in the 2nd round 3 of 4 years? reddevil, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just might be wrong about it being 5 or 6 years since either Powell or Halls has won consecutive games against each other since it was last season that Powell beat Halls for the 2nd consecutive year and 3rd time in the last 4 meetings. Nice research though.

PantherFan87,

Please don't lump me in with other posts or people on this board. I never called anyone moronic. I was not quick to criticize, merely posting facts. I apologize if I was not accurate on the seedings. As far as Karns goes, my point was not to try to compare the 2 programs. You cannot make a comparison. Karns is not blessed with even close to the talent that has come through the Powell program in the last 5 years. My point was that Powell had a chance to go in a new direction when Stephens resigned. They could have brought someone in from outside the program with fresh ideas. Instead, they chose to promote a coach off of a staff that has managed to get less out of its talent than any program in East Tennessee the past few years. Webb has no business beating Powell the last 4 years. I think if you looked at it without prejudice, all the research in the world cannot justify the performance over the last 5 years.

PantherFan87,

Please don't lump me in with other posts or people on this board. I never called anyone moronic. I was not quick to criticize, merely posting facts. I apologize if I was not accurate on the seedings. As far as Karns goes, my point was not to try to compare the 2 programs. You cannot make a comparison. Karns is not blessed with even close to the talent that has come through the Powell program in the last 5 years. My point was that Powell had a chance to go in a new direction when Stephens resigned. They could have brought someone in from outside the program with fresh ideas. Instead, they chose to promote a coach off of a staff that has managed to get less out of its talent than any program in East Tennessee the past few years. Webb has no business beating Powell the last 4 years. I think if you looked at it without prejudice, all the research in the world cannot justify the performance over the last 5 years.

hes got us guys even the most loyal of powell fans cant argue with that one!

coming from a webb fan, 1. could we stop hating on the spartans, they've also won the game against powell the last 4 years, powell hasnt ONLY lost it, webb has earned those wins and has pretty good program

2. i would watch out for west because they played webb and bearden very tough its gonna be 1.maryville

2. Central

3. Powell

4. West