SCIENCE HILL vs. TENNESSEE HIGH

PowrPlus

You’re not the only one who was disappointed! Trash talking is a way of life for the Carver boys. Unfortunately we’re not privy to that competitive edge in these parts. Believe me…there will be “H-E-double hockey sticks" to pay in practice next week!

Sad as it is, trash talking is a big part of the game these days. Not just in football, but every sport. I'm older than dirt and white thread, but in my day, a coach who heard it from one of his players would have run him until he shut-up or quit the team one.

These days you can't stop it. But the real man is the one who ignores what the trash-talking opponent is saying, says nothing in return, and plays to such a level that the opponent looks like a fool for opening his mouth.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one for the ages. A very exciting game. While neither team played perfect and made their share of mistakes, you could not ask for more out of a high school football game.

You had big plays. How bout that 60 yard screen play for a touchdown and that 20 yard TD with a defender in your face and two men covering your receiver in the corner of the endzone as he makes a catch falling backwards and holding on?!!! Not bad for a team that "can't throw the ball". You had a punt downed at the one foot line and yes after looking at the replay it did land in the field of play not the endzone. Great job by the punter and the player to down it. Oh, and there were two safeties on the ensuing possesion that were not called. Plus you had three consecutive 1st and goal stands by the Viking defense. For the Toppers you had the interception return for the touchdown. For both teams there was a lot of hard hitting all night long.

This game really came down to two things...Coaching, Stubbs and company had a better game plan and executed it better. And the Viking Defense...They refused to let Science Hill into the endzone. This past Friday was the first true test of the season. DB & South loom large. As far as a long playoff run and a return trip to the Knoxville area. There is still a lot of football left to be played.

Its funny how two people can see the same thing, but yet see it differently. Personally, I thought by watching the replay that the guy who downed the ball had his toes on the endzone line, that is why he jumped back. The two safeties were very close, but I didn't see them as safeties. I agree with the rest of your views . . . and I believe you all can take South, but D-B, ummm . . . well...I can only hope you stick'em!

Science Hill has the edge in about every category. They are bigger; and they have more speed and athleticism. But they never know how to use any of these things to their advantage. They feature a very athletic and speedy receiving crew…but the QB rarely saw the open man in the Elizabethton game. They have a talented RB in #40 Solomon. This kid has unbelievable vision and speed. He makes precision cuts on the move and has the potential to score every time he gets the ball. He just needs to learn to run north and south. But the Hill prefers the larger much slower power back. Just as in the Elizabethton game…execution, discipline, (and I’ll throw in COACHING for this game)…will be the deciding factors in this game.

Vikings 21

The Hill 17

I was very impressed with #40. The Toppers need to get the ball in his hands more along with David Alexander. Matter of fact the two of them should be their primary playmakers. Maybe they are trying to spread it around too much. #40 and #6 are difference makers.