Houston beats Collierville, 20-17

CoachBray

Houston comes away with a big win over Collierville last night, 20-17. The region is STACKED with Houston, Collierville, Germantown, Whitehaven, White Station, and a few others. Win is huge so early in the season as the region championship and playoff spots usually come down to the wire.

Fantastic win, team really came together. Great game by Matt Gilbert. Stud on offense, defense, and special teams.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved keeping tabs on this region over the past few years. This, along with 6-5A, are so much fun, because there are more than 1 or 2 teams that are really in the race. If only Ridgeway went to region 8, it would be the most competitive region in 5A by far!

Region 8-5A got Wooddale instead, and they aren't chopped liver either. It really doesn't matter because Wooddale is just that good. There are 6 quality teams in Region 8 out of the 8 team league. Only four teams get to go to the playoffs. Collierville and Whitehaven are already behind the 8-ball. It's still early though ... and the waters will only get muddier and muddier as the season progresses. One thing is certain ... two teams will feel like they got hosed at the end of the season, but it can't be avoided. You have to win region games against the other top teams or face possible elimination from the playoffs.

Collierville faced the muddy waters last year. It came down to their last game. If they won, they are Region champs. If they lost, they were out of the playoffs. They won, but talk about pressure!

Now that you mention it Coach Bray I remember that situation. It was kooky. Expect more of the same for Region 8.

I think Region 7 will be between Millington and Ridgeway. I think Craigmont is the 3rd seed with Cordova and Bartlet fighting for the 4th spot.

Collierville faced the muddy waters last year. It came down to their last game. If they won, they are Region champs. If they lost, they were out of the playoffs. They won, but talk about pressure!

Question, when Ridgeway and the others moved to 5-A how did they divide the teams into the regions they have now??

Ridgeway is between W/Station and G/town. That region is always loaded and the other is weak compared to it.

Just seems to me that it could have been evened out a little better than it was.

Question, when Ridgeway and the others moved to 5-A how did they divide the teams into the regions they have now??

Ridgeway is between W/Station and G/town. That region is always loaded and the other is weak compared to it.

Just seems to me that it could have been evened out a little better than it was.

PAPAWOFBOO:

Region 7 and 8 are divideded by a line that seperates the north and south. It's ambiguous, at best, but that's how they are divided. If you look at an overall map with both regions on it you can see it. I called it before it happened that Ridgeway would go into Region 7 and Woodale would go into Region 8 because Wooddale is further south then Ridgeway and thus, in the southern region. That being said, I also knew that the TSSAA would not realign the regions, but just add schools to existing regions. Region 7 added Craigmont and then Ridgeway in recent years. Region 8 just added Wooddale in recent years.

PAPAWOFBOO:

Region 7 and 8 are divideded by a line that seperates the north and south. It's ambiguous, at best, but that's how they are divided. If you look at an overall map with both regions on it you can see it. I called it before it happened that Ridgeway would go into Region 7 and Woodale would go into Region 8 because Wooddale is further south then Ridgeway and thus, in the southern region. That being said, I also knew that the TSSAA would not realign the regions, but just add schools to existing regions. Region 7 added Craigmont and then Ridgeway in recent years. Region 8 just added Wooddale in recent years.

Thanks for your answer. When the 3 teams went up I read somewhere that they were going to combine the 2 regions and then re-divide them into two 7 team regions.

I know that Poplar doesn't run in a straight line going East/West but I find it hard that H & C are south of Ridgeway and I know that W/Station isn't.

When this all happened it did away with the W/S-R/W game and that is what I hated to see. Plus last year and most likely this year a good team isn't going to get in the playoffs. Of course this is high school and in a few years it may all be flipped. I don't know what the other teams will lose this year but Ridgeway is going to lose A LOT.

the imaginary line is supposed to be I-40/ sam cooper, but at the last reclassification the numbers were off, so they just put Ridgeway and Craigmont is Region 7, because the TSSAA doesn't want an all city and an all county region. With Arlington coming into region 7 next year it will be interesting to see how they do it in 2 years, with Kirby's enrollment down and Munford and Brighton's on the way up ( they should both be close to 5A numbers). Maybe we could finally get a 3rd 5A region on this side of the river to increase the number of west tn teams in the playoffs.