Pigeon Forge vs Gatlinburg-Pittman

tigerballs57

Big Blue, what do you know about the G-P pass defense that the statistics are not bearing out? What I am saying is that Oliver Springs completed 1(one) pass for little yardage and Chuckey completed 7 of 18 for 99 yards(less than 40%). That appears fairly sound. What do you mean by "lack of pass defense" ?

My four year old daughter and niece alone could hold C-D to under 100 total yards, so that stat don't even come into play. :lol:

Edited by eagle3314

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Blue, what do you know about the G-P pass defense that the statistics are not bearing out? What I am saying is that Oliver Springs completed 1(one) pass for little yardage and Chuckey completed 7 of 18 for 99 yards(less than 40%). That appears fairly sound. What do you mean by "lack of pass defense" ?

What I mean by having a lack of pass defense is that all they will play is a 3 deep or maybe a little 2 deep zone that PF can easily exploit. GP does not and has never as far as I know shown many different coverages and I dont expect them to start this week. As far as running the ball well thats just part of the GP legacy but, they havent been as good the past couple of years so HOPEFULLY the TIgers can step up and take care of buisness and get the goose-egg out of the win coulmn! GOOD LUCK FELLERS :lol:

I hate to say it but your crazy. GP has run the ball down everyones throats all year and i dont think that will change against pigeon forge. besides, pass defense doesnt matter if harper is lying on the ground. GP is mad and ready to fight. I take GP in a landslide. GP-35 PF-7. The Highlanders are back to the good ole days of dominating all takers.

Gp will certainly not run the ball down their throat. .......... Actually yeah they will, Because they do things a little different at the "Thicket"

Doesn't make sense?...let's review, I said GP is predictable on both sides of the ball. That means in my opinion PF should know what GP will run and how they will defend. I then followed that up by saying if PF can execute and block they should win. Now, if they know what is coming at them and then execute well both defensively and offensively I see PF winning. What more does it take to win...Good gameplan and good execution, sounds like a winning combo to me.

Please let me apologize for speaking out of turn. I was under the impression that this was an open forum...My mistake.

I agree with BigBlue about the pass D. GP has a very simple pass defense that should be easy to exploit IF you execute. I am assuming that with those stats from the first two games, they were not facing big passing threat.

just so you know, it doesn't matter if PF knows whats coming if GP has superior athletes and more desire to when and if you think GP's senior class doesn't want to revenge last years lost you don't know a whole lot. also, i hear quite a few of PF's athletes have quit over the past few weeks. combine that with paul harper's lack of experience and i think PF is in for another rough night. and in case no one knows GP beat the same Rutledge PF lost to friday in a scrimmage the week of the jamboree.

If the game is turnover free, this should be a good game to see. PF's back is against the wall. They know that this is a make or break game for them. GP will be fired up because of last years loss at Hammonds field. Whoever wins this one, it should be a good game to watch! I hope this series continues in the future. I hear that the rivalry keeps the fire burning year around between the two schools!

What I mean by having a lack of pass defense is that all they will play is a 3 deep or maybe a little 2 deep zone that PF can easily exploit. GP does not and has never as far as I know shown many different coverages and I dont expect them to start this week. As far as running the ball well thats just part of the GP legacy but, they havent been as good the past couple of years so HOPEFULLY the TIgers can step up and take care of buisness and get the goose-egg out of the win coulmn! GOOD LUCK FELLERS B)

Thanks for responding Big Blue. So you are saying GP has a "lack of pass defense" based on the type of defense they run in the secondary? In other words you really do not know that GP is weak in the secondary but you think they will be because they only run a 2 or 3 deep. Hmmm...

I see that Sonny Moore's Power Rating(since 1974) has G-P as a 11+ point favorite. One can visit Moore's website by going to Coach T's home page and on the left side under "site info" scroll to websites, click and scroll down to Sonny's Moore Rankings. Also, Earl Nall's prep performance rating has GP by about the same margin as Sonny Moore. These are certainly not perfect predictors but more often than not they are close with exceptions like Tellico Plains shocking upset of PF on PF's homefield. I guess that is why we play the game. Speaking of, I heard Prep Footballs Bill Dyke say today on the Dewey Warren Show(AM 850 1-3 PM), that Tellico Plains victory over PF was the biggest upset in 3A football so far this year. He also mentioned the upcoming "rivalry" game between PF and GP. He did not make a prediction but said PF was 0-3 and that Benny Hammonds had a very good and "physical" ball club.

Should be an exciting and hard fought game on both sides. My one wish is that players from neither side suffer any serious injury.

Thanks for responding Big Blue. So you are saying GP has a "lack of pass defense" based on the type of defense they run in the secondary? In other words you really do not know that GP is weak in the secondary but you think they will be because they only run a 2 or 3 deep. Hmmm...

I see that Sonny Moore's Power Rating(since 1974) has G-P as a 11+ point favorite. One can visit Moore's website by going to Coach T's home page and on the left side under "site info" scroll to websites, click and scroll down to Sonny's Moore Rankings. Also, Earl Nall's prep performance rating has GP by about the same margin as Sonny Moore. These are certainly not perfect predictors but more often than not they are close with exceptions like Tellico Plains shocking upset of PF on PF's homefield. I guess that is why we play the game. Speaking of, I heard Prep Footballs Bill Dyke say today on the Dewey Warren Show(AM 850 1-3 PM), that Tellico Plains victory over PF was the biggest upset in 3A football so far this year. He also mentioned the upcoming "rivalry" game between PF and GP. He did not make a prediction but said PF was 0-3 and that Benny Hammonds had a very good and "physical" ball club.

Should be an exciting and hard fought game on both sides. My one wish is that players from neither side suffer any serious injury.

It really doesnt matter what kind of athletes you have if you sit back in a zone all night. BELIEVE me if they stay in either of those two coverages PF will nickle and dime 'em to death. If the athletic ability is great enough at GP for them to man up and go one-on-one with the Tiger WRs I believe that it will be a rough night for the Forge. BUT, having seen what I have over the years GP will not be able to do so, and that is why I think the Tigers can have a big night! :thumb:

As far as the game goes, as bad as I hate to say it, I think the Highlanders will reign supreme again. BUT, if the Tigers show up and are ready to play as they were last year I agree with BEEF this could get ugly, especially with GPs lack of pass defense. But I need to ask you a question there KevB, if you live in Cincy how in the world do you know what exactly happened last week, I mean if you drove down for the game then I apologize, but short of that word-of-mouth is the only other way you could have heard about the game, and we all know that facts can be very misconstrued, especially if they have to travel all the way from the Middle of Nowhere, I mean Rutledge, to Cincy. Just wondering, any way GO TIGERS!!!!! ;)

It was a holiday weekend and I witnessed it firsthand. PF got mowed down. Period.

Here's your recap...

Rutledge was up 18-0 at the half. They don't trust anyone to kick a PAT yet so instead of it being 21, 20 or 19 it was 18.

Had a HORRIBLE non-call when it was 1st and goal following a DEAD BALL false start where a PF defender slung down QB Skylar McBee WELL AFTER THE WHISTLE and prompted a tirade by coach Hammer during a timeout where he was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct...or showing up the refs because they blew it.

There's 6-8 more points because PF again couldn't stop the option the majority of the night.

While PF did cut the lead to 24-15 at one point, the Pioneers put it away with two more touchdowns in the late stages of the game. Final was 36-15...missed all 6 two-pointers and had the sure TD drive with conversion attempt taken away on a BONEHEADED call.

The Tigers are lucky it wasn't 56-15...believe that.

Edited by KevB1990

It was a holiday weekend and I witnessed it firsthand. PF got mowed down. Period.

Here's your recap...

Rutledge was up 18-0 at the half. They don't trust anyone to kick a PAT yet so instead of it being 21, 20 or 19 it was 18.

Had a HORRIBLE non-call when it was 1st and goal following a DEAD BALL false start where a PF defender slung down QB Skylar McBee WELL AFTER THE WHISTLE and prompted a tirade by coach Hammer during a timeout where he was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct...or showing up the refs because they blew it.

There's 6-8 more points because PF again couldn't stop the option the majority of the night.

While PF did cut the lead to 24-15 at one point, the Pioneers put it away with two more touchdowns in the late stages of the game. Final was 36-15...missed all 6 two-pointers and had the sure TD drive with conversion attempt taken away on a BONEHEADED call.

From what I have seen of the film it looked as though PF had 5 turnovers.... 4 fumbles and none seemed to be caused by rutledge.

All of them were a PF player dropping the ball while running, snapping it over the QB's head (which i don't understand why the coach put in a new QB who looked small comparatively speaking), botched punt and a forward pass fumble (it was not a fumble on film.

There was one interception but besides that Rutledge apparently did not force any turnovers.

Rutledge did not run the ball up the middle at all and one series they threw 3 fades in a row trying to make something happen. It looked like PF gave the game to them

I beleive it could have been a different game when it was just two touchdowns with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter. I just don't beleive the game you saw was not just emotions taking over because the film I saw it looked like a close one

But I'm sure i would have seen the poundage hammer time put on them had i been there

Here's your recap...

I agree with a couple things and disagree with a couple things...first, any game where both coaching staffs get personal fouls due to reaction of a refs call of no-call leads you to believe that the men in stripes were struggling that night. When you say PF was lucky it wasn't 56-15 I disagree. Rutledge didn't really move the ball consistly, but had some big plays to score as well as 5, five, count 'em FIVE turnovers given to them. But, how can I argue PF lost, Rutledge took the breaks they were given and scored. I made a point earlier on this thread that PF finally showed some fire defensivley, at least at the beginning, and that would be hard to deny.

From what I have seen of the film it looked as though PF had 5 turnovers.... 4 fumbles and none seemed to be caused by rutledge.

All of them were a PF player dropping the ball while running, snapping it over the QB's head (which i don't understand why the coach put in a new QB who looked small comparatively speaking), botched punt and a forward pass fumble (it was not a fumble on film.

There was one interception but besides that Rutledge apparently did not force any turnovers.

Rutledge did not run the ball up the middle at all and one series they threw 3 fades in a row trying to make something happen. It looked like PF gave the game to them

I beleive it could have been a different game when it was just two touchdowns with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter. I just don't beleive the game you saw was not just emotions taking over because the film I saw it looked like a close one

But I'm sure i would have seen the poundage hammer time put on them had i been there

Just a little FYI, the reason PF's coach put in a new quarterback was that the head official spotted some blood on Harper's arm and made him leave the game. PF called a timeout so he wouldn't miss a play but the ref would not let him return, eventhough he got taped up and eventhough by rule he didn't have to miss one play. The next snap was over the head of the back-up, giving the ball to Rutledge. Totally unacceptable by an officiating crew, but pretty much par for the course for what went on that night. Bad calls/no-calls on both teams!!!

What I mean by having a lack of pass defense is that all they will play is a 3 deep or maybe a little 2 deep zone that PF can easily exploit. GP does not and has never as far as I know shown many different coverages and I dont expect them to start this week. As far as running the ball well thats just part of the GP legacy but, they havent been as good the past couple of years so HOPEFULLY the TIgers can step up and take care of buisness and get the goose-egg out of the win coulmn! GOOD LUCK FELLERS :lol:

BIGblue do you really know what defensive packages G-P runs? You said, "as far as I know", do you really know? How many G-P games have you actually attended?