Germantown @ South Panola

BigSneaky

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy i work with says it open enrollment in miss. you can go anywhere you want? one guy says he knows of kids from tate county going there :(

I grew up in Panola County,there is no open enrollment that I know of,I think it helps that these kids play together from a very young age,and my understanding is that the middle school program runs the same system,so by the time they reach high school they know it very well,I also know I was down there in late July on a Saturday and some kids came in a store and the comment was made that they had been practicing that day,I dont know of many schools that was practicing on a saturday in July.

hey dpsfan i heard your coach on the radio say the same thing. how good is themiddle linebacker? i heard he is 6'4 250 run a4.4 40

OMN now that I think about it,If you have read anything about JCM,s Taviss Hogsett LB these guys were steps above him. same size but much faster and quicker to the ball. Not taking anything away from hogsett becasue he was good. I cannot tell you size info because the program only listed name, number and position. And another thing. most of the guys on the team were Juniors. One of there most outstanding linemen, #51 was listed as a sophmore. well we will regroup and get ready for hamilton. I would like to see another area team play them to see if they have any better luck.

Edited by dp6fan

OMN now that I think about it,If you have read anything about JCM,s Taviss Hogsett LB these guys were steps above him. same size but much faster and quicker to the ball. Not taking anything away from hogsett becasue he was good. I cannot tell you size info because the program only listed name, number and position. And another thing. most of the guys on the team were Juniors. One of there most outstanding linemen, #51 was listed as a sophmore. well we will regroup and get ready for hamilton. I would like to see another area team play them to see if they have any better luck.

Dp6Fan,

This is not a slap at Germantown....

Germantown is absolutely too one-dimensional to compete against South Panola! Sure, Gtwn throws the ball occasionally. By-in-large, though, they're a running team. They have never excelled at passing the ball.

Here's a strange twist for you: While Gtwn blasted Whitehaven, Whitehaven would actually pose a bigger threat to South Panola than Gtwn! Why? Because Whitehaven has a formidable passing game (at least with their starting QB) and more athletes than Gtwn.

No, I ain't sayin' that Whitehaven would actually BEAT S. Panola; just that they'd likely be more competitive. That's all.

I'm not sure that any area team can actually beat South Panola; I would wager that MANY teams (including those that could not even beat Gtwn) would fare much better vs S. Panola than Gtwn did these last 2 years! For instance, Carver. They're a small 2A school, with a lot of athletes.....Last year, Carver lost to S. Panola 39-20. Yet, 5A school Gtwn (who was a much better team ovearall than Carver, btw) got humiliated by S. Panola 40-10.

In other words, lowly Carver fared 2 TD's better vs S. Panola than Gtwn did. Trust me, that's no accident!

Here's the point: Given the talent and athleticism of S. Panola, it's gonna take a team that has the athletes, especially at the skill positions (RB, WR, CB, etc), to actually spread the field and make plays. Germantown simply does not have enough of those type players. Conversely, there are a number of Memphis teams that come to mind, besides Carver. Take your pick...

Finally, I commend Gtwn for having the guts to compete vs National power S. Panola. There's no shame to losing to such a talented squad. Nobody else could beat them, either! Heck, they've won--what....nearly 50 games in a row? That stat is no fluke. It's for real.

I grew up in Panola County,there is no open enrollment that I know of,I think it helps that these kids play together from a very young age,and my understanding is that the middle school program runs the same system,so by the time they reach high school they know it very well,I also know I was down there in late July on a Saturday and some kids came in a store and the comment was made that they had been practicing that day,I dont know of many schools that was practicing on a saturday in July.

Most of the top programs in Tennessee do all these same things and have for years.That dosen't make them South Panola though. It's something more...

THE SQUAD :lol:

Dp6Fan,

This is not a slap at Germantown....

Germantown is absolutely too one-dimensional to compete against South Panola! Sure, Gtwn throws the ball occasionally. By-in-large, though, they're a running team. They have never excelled at passing the ball.

Here's a strange twist for you: While Gtwn blasted Whitehaven, Whitehaven would actually pose a bigger threat to South Panola than Gtwn! Why? Because Whitehaven has a formidable passing game (at least with their starting QB) and more athletes than Gtwn.

No, I ain't sayin' that Whitehaven would actually BEAT S. Panola; just that they'd likely be more competitive. That's all.

I'm not sure that any area team can actually beat South Panola; I would wager that MANY teams (including those that could not even beat Gtwn) would fare much better vs S. Panola than Gtwn did these last 2 years! For instance, Carver. They're a small 2A school, with a lot of athletes.....Last year, Carver lost to S. Panola 39-20. Yet, 5A school Gtwn (who was a much better team ovearall than Carver, btw) got humiliated by S. Panola 40-10.

In other words, lowly Carver fared 2 TD's better vs S. Panola than Gtwn did. Trust me, that's no accident!

Here's the point: Given the talent and athleticism of S. Panola, it's gonna take a team that has the athletes, especially at the skill positions (RB, WR, CB, etc), to actually spread the field and make plays. Germantown simply does not have enough of those type players. Conversely, there are a number of Memphis teams that come to mind, besides Carver. Take your pick...

Finally, I commend Gtwn for having the guts to compete vs National power S. Panola. There's no shame to losing to such a talented squad. Nobody else could beat them, either! Heck, they've won--what....nearly 50 games in a row? That stat is no fluke. It's for real.

Great point, nothing to take away from G-town, but you can't try to pound the ball against a team like S. Panola. They are just too strong.

Great point, nothing to take away from G-town, but you can't try to pound the ball against a team like S. Panola. They are just too strong.

My team Olive Branch is in the Same District as South Panola. We have been in 5A for about 7 years. We are 1-6 against them in those 7 years. They beat us twice last year 27-3 and 26-0. The second game was in the North half championship game. I thought we had a chance when it was in the 3rd quarter. We were down by 7-0. We drove the ball 90 yards on them and fumbled at the 5 yard line. Then they got mad and turned on the afterburners. They ran it down our throats for another 19 points. It stinks being in ther district. No matter how good you are, they are always a step above you. We play them at home this year. Our New QB's dad's is Fred Smith, Founder of Fedex. He might need to order some body guards for his son, cause it's going to be a rough night for him.

My team Olive Branch is in the Same District as South Panola. We have been in 5A for about 7 years. We are 1-6 against them in those 7 years. They beat us twice last year 27-3 and 26-0. The second game was in the North half championship game. I thought we had a chance when it was in the 3rd quarter. We were down by 7-0. We drove the ball 90 yards on them and fumbled at the 5 yard line. Then they got mad and turned on the afterburners. They ran it down our throats for another 19 points. It stinks being in ther district. No matter how good you are, they are always a step above you. We play them at home this year. Our New QB's dad's is Fred Smith, Founder of Fedex. He might need to order some body guards for his son, cause it's going to be a rough night for him.

Hey ms what is the date of that game i would like to come to it?

My team Olive Branch is in the Same District as South Panola. .. We play them at home this year..

MSFootBallNut,

First of all, Welcome to the great CoachT board! It's great to get more insight on the Tennessee/Mississippi sports scene.

Isn't the SP vs. OB game on Sept 29th @7pm?

I'm planning on attending that game. Could you please post directions (from anywhere in Memphis) to Olive Branch's football field, along with any tips on parking, time of arrival, etc.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Good luck vs SP, and the rest of the season.

Edited by TraderB

there is no open enrollment in MS, and there are no players from outside SP's school distric on the team. SP has an excellent coaching staff and they run and lift weights year round. example, the very next day after winning their third strait MS 5a title the underclassmen were running bleachers.

the carver game last year wasn't quite as tough as the score may indicate. SP had a 26-0 or 26-7 lead at half. Carver's QB had an outstanding night that night as well. SP averaged over 12 yards a carry that night. that game was like a scrimmage, as SP worked on the little bit of a passing game as they have.