Brentwood Academy vs. McCallie

Buzzman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I should get a prize or something. Did I pass the part about "1 in 100 years"?

You passed Batts!!! Now for your prize. You will have two choices, so choose very carefully. Behind door #1 is an all expense paid vacation for two to the Crymea River region in Eastern Europe. Behind door #2 you can receive a free full year subscription to John McEnroe's Cry Baby Magazine. What will it be?

I feel like I should get a prize or something. Did I pass the part about "1 in 100 years"?

McCallie had 10 undefeated teams since 1905. Since there wasn't a state playoff before sometime in the '70s, I'm declaring seven of 'em mythical regular season champions. I heard that 1936 team was great. I'd guess they beat both Baylor and Central, so I couldn't be that far off. And anyway, who's going to prove me wrong? You know with 25 state champions everyear now, and many of the better publics refusing to play the better privates, we're almost back to mythical state champions. The more things change, ........

McCallie had 10 undefeated teams since 1905. Since there wasn't a state playoff before sometime in the '70s, I'm declaring seven of 'em mythical regular season champions. I heard that 1936 team was great. I'd guess they beat both Baylor and Central, so I couldn't be that far off. And anyway, who's going to prove me wrong? You know with 25 state champions everyear now, and many of the better publics refusing to play the better privates, we're almost back to mythical state champions. The more things change, ........

I gotta tell ya UNC, we were good that year. Unfortunately, a lot of teams wouldn't play us that year. Thankfully, Tennessee high school athletics has come a long way since then. Oh, wait a minute.......

I gotta tell ya UNC, we were good that year. Unfortunately, a lot of teams wouldn't play us that year. Thankfully, Tennessee high school athletics has come a long way since then. Oh, wait a minute.......

1936 was a tremendous year but it was depression year which meant the public schools were using cardboard helmets. That worked OK unless it was raining. After McCallie whipped Central that year rumors of recruiting by McCallie started. 33 years later BA was started and quickly perfected recruiting and 27 years later DII was born. In 2007 as a settlement of BA's legal fees, BA will occupy the TSSAA's offices and hence forth, the organization will be known as the BASSAA and Ronnie Carter will be indentured to Carlton Flatt for the rest of his life. Don't need to thank me for the history lesson. Always enjoy sharing nawlege.

Best regards,

Mr. History

You passed Batts!!! Now for your prize. You will have two choices, so choose very carefully. Behind door #1 is an all expense paid vacation for two to the Crymea River region in Eastern Europe. Behind door #2 you can receive a free full year subscription to John McEnroe's Cry Baby Magazine. What will it be?

That is unbelievable!!! 800 boys from 14 states and you win 1 state in 100 years. The good news is you are due. I guess percentage wise you will be due for the next 75 years or so. Anyway, prizes are not necessary. The satisfaction of passing both tests is prize enough.

1936 was a tremendous year but it was depression year which meant the public schools were using cardboard helmets. That worked OK unless it was raining. After McCallie whipped Central that year rumors of recruiting by McCallie started. 33 years later BA was started and quickly perfected recruiting and 27 years later DII was born. In 2007 as a settlement of BA's legal fees, BA will occupy the TSSAA's offices and hence forth, the organization will be known as the BASSAA and Ronnie Carter will be indentured to Carlton Flatt for the rest of his life. Don't need to thank me for the history lesson. Always enjoy sharing nawlege.

Best regards,

Mr. History

By "perfecting recruiting" do you mean recruiting in a way that is ruled legal? Which of course resulted in the TSSAA having to pay all of BA's legal fees for wrongful prosecution as you pointed out. I know McCallie was found guilty in the early 90's and received the death sentence. I guess that was "non-perfect recruiting"? :rolleyes:

His 9 of 10 last night means more than the 39% in the three previous games in my opinion. He is a new QB on a new team with a new system. It is not surprising that he had a rough start. 90% vs 39% - a biased optimist, such as myself, would call that "an improvement". Hey, you keep a pretty close eye on us.

USA1,

You are one of the good guys, so I want be too hard on you. I hope that your team appreciates your dedication and loyalty. And yes, I do keep a close eye on BA, as does everyone else. BA is greedy. They want every great athlete out there, but then only play a select few. How many are on the roster (100!), but how many do they actually play? It sure looks to me that on the flip side of the coin that BA has no loyalty to their players. BA had so much preseason hype, that you would have thought that the next Joe Montana was at BA. One article compared your QB to some former BA greats, sorry but don't see it. Don't know if Rivals got that piece of info from BA coaches or from some other source. If there is any pressure on the kid, he just can not handle it. And hey, you have Ford that starts at TB for two years and you let some kid come in and take right over. Now how is that for your BA loyalty. Get a new coach and maybe, just maybe things will change.

Edited by BL46

USA1,

You are one of the good guys, so I want be too hard on you. I hope that your team appreciates your dedication and loyalty. And yes, I do keep a close eye on BA, as does everyone else. BA is greedy. They want every great athlete out there, but then only play a select few. How many are on the roster (100!), but how many do they actually play? It sure looks to me that on the flip side of the coin that BA has no loyalty to their players. BA had so much preseason hype, that you would have thought that the next Joe Montana was at BA. One article compared your QB to some former BA greats, sorry but don't see it. Don't know if Rivals got that piece of info from BA coaches or from some other source. If there is any pressure on the kid, he just can not handle it. And hey, you have Ford that starts at TB for two years and you let some kid come in and take right over. Now how is that for your BA loyalty. Get a new coach and maybe, just maybe things will change.

Sure wish I knew as much as you guys do about BA and their athletic program! You must spend a lot of time on campus talking to coaches, players and parents.

USA1,

BL46, I do not think giving me your opinion is being hard on me. Many student athletes are greedy, as well. They want to come to a top school and be a star. Many never win a starting job and they could have been a star at a lesser program. Coach Flatt did not force them to come to BA. All 100 kids came to BA knowing that they would be surrounded by people serious about football. Not many minor league baseball players get called up to the majors - even the ones that play for years and are very loyal do not get called up. That is one of the many examples in life, where performance matters and nothing else does. Coach Flatt is loyal to what he feels is the best player for the position. I do not expect the second best to be happy about that, but welcome to the real world.

I can't argue with your observations about our new QB. He seems to have the tools. We have to hope he will settle in.

Tyree Ford is one of the nicest kids on the planet. However, Chris Jordan is just as fast, bigger and stronger. Once again, "welcome...". There is less glory involved, but Tyree is an under sized tailback and has a better chance of playing at the next level at cornerback, where he currently starts. Now, there very well could be too many good cornerbacks and this dream will not happen. Life can be rough.

I might agree that the winningest Coach in Tennessee High School History may have reached the end of the line. However, I would sight other reasons for this opinion. Putting, what he feels, is the best players on the field is not one of the reasons in my opinion.

By "perfecting recruiting" do you mean recruiting in a way that is ruled legal? Which of course resulted in the TSSAA having to pay all of BA's legal fees for wrongful prosecution as you pointed out. I know McCallie was found guilty in the early 90's and received the death sentence. I guess that was "non-perfect recruiting"? :(

Au contraire, McCallie was found guilty of playing unreported scholarship athletes and unfortunately didn't hire BB&S to defend themselves. The ultimate outcome might have been different and the TSSAA would now be known as the McSSAA.