Alcoa @ Wartburg Central

mcwrestler

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well all I'm sayin is have a little respect for Wartburg. I know Alcoa is a great team, and should make a great run if not win state again. I have seen the ol Burg play once, and I did see a couple players that really impressed me. I'm not blaming anyone for wartburg's woes, but everyone has their opinion. Besides, Wartburg could probable beat Alcoa in basketball, and that is no joke.

Well all I'm sayin is have a little respect for Wartburg. I know Alcoa is a great team, and should make a great run if not win state again. I have seen the ol Burg play once, and I did see a couple players that really impressed me. I'm not blaming anyone for wartburg's woes, but everyone has their opinion. Besides, Wartburg could probable beat Alcoa in basketball, and that is no joke.

They wouldn't let wartburg step on the same court in basketball with alcoa because everyone knows they wouldn't have a chance.

First off, respect has to be earned. It's not something that is just handed out. Second, Alcoa's tradition in basketball is just as good if not better than football. Alcoa is coming off of a season in which they made it to the AA State Tournament. Making it to the state tournament is an expectation at Alcoa every year. When did Wartburg last make it to the state tourney?

It was not even a game. Alcoa had to try harder not to score than they did to score. It was painful and only exciting for a quarter or so but then Alcoa had to tone it down. They were rotating 2nd string players in and out during the 2nd and had the whole 2nd string kickoff team in during the first. Alcoa scored 21 withing the first 6 minutes and 35 in the 1st quarter alone. It was 49-0 at half and alcoa tried their best to keep it down and it was 55-0 at the end. Alcoa even used Sommers as a punter and another backup punter. I was frustarted that instead of seeing a potent offense, which was there, I had to watch a team "try" to not score by running up the middle. Sportsmanlike or not, it was Wartburgs job to contain our offense, not our job. It was like we played defense on both sides. All in all, Alcoas whole team played well, and the JV could have probably won, if they were allowed to run an offense that was to score points. They did very well though, and broke a big run late in the game, but it was called back for offsides.