Wristbands over elbows?

cherries

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would bother to read the rule book, you would find that sweatbands, (wristbands as you call them) are allowed on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow. Rule 1-5-3, k. Most officials are very lenient (sp) when it comes to this rule and the towel rule, but if they have them all the way up the arm and those skinny tight ones that they place around the bicep, then those usually must go. They are also not allowing the rubber wrist bands that everyone seems to be wearing. It is the coach's responsibility to see that his players do not wear illegal equipment after he answers the legality question before the game.

Edited by papatj

If you would bother to read the rule book, you would find that sweatbands, (wristbands as you call them) are allowed on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow. Rule 1-5-3, k. Most officials are very lenient (sp) when it comes to this rule and the towel rule, but if they have them all the way up the arm and those skinny tight ones that they place around the bicep, then those usually must go. They are also not allowing the rubber wrist bands that everyone seems to be wearing. It is the coach's responsibility to see that his players do not wear illegal equipment after he answers the legality question before the game.

Have you ever read the quote at the bottom of your posts? Lighten up a little. Not everyone has the time to read the rule book. That's why cherries asked the question on here.

Thanks for the advice, mikey65. It takes about as much time to read rules online as it does to read the posts on Coach T or any other website. I was not trying to be the heavy, just pointing out that it was a rule. Prolly should have been a little more thougtful in my explanation. Maybe that comes from getting blasted from expressing my opinion on this board. Anyway, have a good one.

You know, I'm an official, and I don't understand the point of the rule. If it's about safety, then I don't see how wristbands on the wrist or within 3 inches are any more safe than the thin ones around the bicep. On the flip side, I don't see what benefit a player gains from wearing the thin ones around the bicep anyway.

The best way for a coach to avoid running into those problems would be not to allow any writsbands. Our coach wouldn't allow any bands, gloves, ect. The only time we got to wear gloves was in the playoffs. He now allows gloves but that's it. :huh:

I allow my players to wear one wrist band and/or tape one or both of their wrists. They can't wear them above the elbow.

Edited by XBOX

You know, I'm an official, and I don't understand the point of the rule. If it's about safety, then I don't see how wristbands on the wrist or within 3 inches are any more safe than the thin ones around the bicep. On the flip side, I don't see what benefit a player gains from wearing the thin ones around the bicep anyway.

I think they just wear them that way because they think it looks "tight".

It doesn't pose any danger to anyone, so I say let them wear them if they want.

As far as the tinted eye shield, it is all about the safety factor. If the shields are tinted too dark, it is very difficult if not impossible to see a players eyes. In order to determine if a player is knocked out and his medical condition is many times determined by looking at his eyes. Most of these type of rules are about the saftey factor, although many people fail to understand this aspect.

I gotta question on the wrist bands kinda.... I know alot of my friends wear tape on their arms because they spend alot of time on the ground and they are afraid of getting blood on their uniform.... I know that some people were wristbands over things such as warts of scabs on their elbows... Is there an exception to the rule? such as bleeding or warts?