NYT Magazine article on Oher, Briarcrest

big red big blue

Michael Lewis has a piece on Oher and his matriculation at Briarcrest in yesterday's NYT Magazine. Free subscription required to read. Can't say if I were a public supporter in this debate that I wouldn't say "see, I told you so." Not exactly a great picture painted of Briarcrest. It is a remarkable story of human compassion--but does this happen if he's not a football prospect?

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/magazine/index.html?8dpc

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Lewis has a piece on Oher and his matriculation at Briarcrest in yesterday's NYT Magazine. Free subscription required to read. Can't say if I were a public supporter in this debate that I wouldn't say "see, I told you so." Not exactly a great picture painted of Briarcrest. It is a remarkable story of human compassion--but does this happen if he's not a football prospect?

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/magazine/index.html?8dpc

Not exactly a great picture painted of Briarcrest?

I hope you are joking, even though it appears you are not. Are you really that much of an elitist that you can't recognize that another private school might have a different, though equally valid mission as your own school? This validates the reasons for financial aid! My bet is that most of the "public supporters", as you label them, have a much better perspective on this than you do.

I generally enjoy your posts. They are informed and intelligent. In this case, however, you don't know any of the people involved...I do. You owe them an enormous apology, whether you know it or not.

Edited by itzme

Not exactly a great picture painted of Briarcrest.

I beg to differ here. I think this paints an awesome picture of compassion and love.

It is a remarkable story of human compassion--but does this happen if he's not a football prospect?

I'm positive he was NOT considered a football prospect when he was admitted nor was he his first year or so there.

Not exactly a great picture painted of Briarcrest?

I hope you are joking, even though it appears you are not. Are you really that much of an elitist that you can't recognize that another private school might have a different, though equally valid mission as your own school? This validates the reasons for financial aid! My bet is that most of the "public supporters", as you label them, have a much better perspective on this than you do.

I generally enjoy your posts. They are informed and intelligent. In this case, however, you don't know any of the people involved...I do. You owe them an enormous apology, whether you know it or not.

Validates financial aid? Are you kidding? This is a kid for whom all the rules were thrown out the window because of his ability to play football. It is exactly the VERY WORST about financial aid--as in, it is only given to kids who can help win games, regardless of their ability in the classroom. Are you really telling me that, without the football, this story plays out exactly the same way? Financial aid is supposed to be for kids who want to learn, who are qualified to learn, and who want to take advantages of the opportunities private school has to offer, but aren't financially able to pay the bills. It is NOT supposed to serve some sort of incubator for D1 college football players. How do you explain to a child in inner-city Memphis with the same economic background, and a desire to be in that classroom, but without the athletic ability--"sorry, those opportunities are only for the kids who can dunk basketballs or protect the qb's blindside."

Show me 10 other kids that Briarcrest has made these same exceptions for who DON'T play football, and I'll admit I'm wrong about Briarcrest. In fact, I will mail them a check tomorrow. Even still, all of the things described in this article--thrusting this child into an academic environment he isn't remotely qualified for, his improving from basic illiteracy to "A's and B's"--despite "not knowing, late in his senior year, what a right angle or the Civil War was"--in 2 years, rushing to get him on the football field, and then using short-cuts, i.e., week-long online acting classes that substitute for actual year-long high school classes, just to achieve NCAA eligibility--it all reeks of impropriety in the name of athletic success. Surely you can understand that Michael Lewis wrote this article to show more than just a feel good story.

There is a term for this--it's called "exploitation of athletes," and if the facts in this article are accurate, it's one of the most blatant examples of it I have ever seen.

and before you call me an "elitist" again, I'll tell you why this issue is very personal to me: I spend quite a bit of time volunteering here in NYC at a center that helps HS kids with college and financial aid applications. I see dozens of kids every year just like the kid in this article who never were considered for these sorts of opportunities and who are DYING to be in a challenging academic environment but didn't possess a distinguishing athletic ability. So they get churned through the system like everyone else.

I am certainly hopeful that my school--and yours, who takes the brunt of these accustations--is better than just plucking only the kids from diverse backgrounds that become D1 football prospects. If we aren't then we are absolutely guilty of every charge that has been leveled against us on these boards.

Edited by big red big blue

Validates financial aid? Are you kidding? This is a kid for whom all the rules were thrown out the window because of his ability to play football. It is exactly the VERY WORST about financial aid--as in, it is only given to kids who can help win games, regardless of their ability in the classroom. Are you really telling me that, without the football, this story plays out exactly the same way? Financial aid is supposed to be for kids who want to learn, who are qualified to learn, and who want to take advantages of the opportunities private school has to offer, but aren't financially able to pay the bills. It is NOT supposed to serve some sort of incubator for D1 college football players. How do you explain to a child in inner-city Memphis with the same economic background, and a desire to be in that classroom, but without the athletic ability--"sorry, those opportunities are only for the kids who can dunk basketballs or protect the qb's blindside."

Show me 10 other kids that Briarcrest has made these same exceptions for who DON'T play football, and I'll admit I'm wrong about Briarcrest. In fact, I will mail them a check tomorrow. Even still, all of the things described in this article--thrusting this child into an academic environment he isn't remotely qualified for, his improving from basic illiteracy to "A's and B's"--despite "not knowing, late in his senior year, what a right angle or the Civil War was"--in 2 years, rushing to get him on the football field, and then using short-cuts, i.e., week-long online acting classes that substitute for actual year-long high school classes, just to achieve NCAA eligibility--it all reeks of impropriety in the name of athletic success. Surely you can understand that Michael Lewis wrote this article to show more than just a feel good story.

There is a term for this--it's called "exploitation of athletes," and if the facts in this article are accurate, it's one of the most blatant examples of it I have ever seen.

and before you call me an "elitist" again, I'll tell you why this issue is very personal to me: I spend quite a bit of time volunteering here in NYC at a center that helps HS kids with college and financial aid applications. I see dozens of kids every year just like the kid in this article who never were considered for these sorts of opportunities and who are DYING to be in a challenging academic environment but didn't possess a distinguishing athletic ability. So they get churned through the system like everyone else.

I am certainly hopeful that my school--and yours, who takes the brunt of these accustations--is better than just plucking only the kids from diverse backgrounds that become D1 football prospects. If we aren't then we are absolutely guilty of every charge that has been leveled against us on these boards.

I do apologize for "going off" on your post, and I realize that you are not aware of any of the facts behind this situation, much less the motives of the people involved, beyond what you read in the article. I happen to be more familiar with this situation than you are, and the motives were honorable.

I will admit that Oher's case is an extreme example, but here is a kid who knew as little about football as he did about academics...a classic example of someone that the "system", including the public school system in Memphis, had abandoned. There are many examples of kids who might not qualify to get into MBA that are given a chance at other private schools. There are many, many students at BA, that have no ability or interest in athletics whatsoever that have been given an opportunity precisely because one of the goals at BA is to reflect the body of Christ in the student body.

MBA has a great academic mission, which I greatly respect. I hope you can come to respect the missions of other private schools.

Maybe NYC needs a Briarcrest too!

Validates financial aid? Are you kidding? This is a kid for whom all the rules were thrown out the window because of his ability to play football.

You did read the article, right? He did not have the ability to play football at a high level when he got there. He was just a big dude.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

I do apologize for "going off" on your post, and I realize that you are not aware of any of the facts behind this situation, much less the motives of the people involved, beyond what you read in the article. I happen to be more familiar with this situation than you are, and the motives were honorable.

I will admit that Oher's case is an extreme example, but here is a kid who knew as little about football as he did about academics...a classic example of someone that the "system", including the public school system in Memphis, had abandoned. There are many examples of kids who might not qualify to get into MBA that are given a chance at other private schools. There are many, many students at BA, that have no ability or interest in athletics whatsoever that have been given an opportunity precisely because one of the goals at BA is to reflect the body of Christ in the student body.

MBA has a great academic mission, which I greatly respect. I hope you can come to respect the missions of other private schools.

Maybe NYC needs a Briarcrest too!

I'm not trying to challenge or question the mission of any other private school. I've gone to great lengths on these boards to defend BA against the nonsensical charges that are often made against it. Knowing BA well (and not knowing B'crest well) I have no doubt it has maintained its integrity and remained consistent with its mission over the years; they just happen to have a great football coach who can get the most out of the least (and the "mostest" out of the most) and people just can't accept that. The school is probably one of the least understood anywhere in America.

What this is about, to me, is hypocrisy that may or may not exist at private schools--ALL private schools, including my own. As in, there is this idea that a diverse student body is sought, and we will use our resources to create it, provided that this "diversity" helps us win championships.

I believe that part of the mission of every private school is to serve its community when there is absolutely no self-interest to be gained from it...as in, to seek out a diverse student body because its the right thing to do, and then make the resources available to the most in need and the most likely to utilize the opportunity to the fullest. Sometimes that intersects with athletics because athletics makes it easier for kids to thrive in these environments. It is wrong, however, when athletics become the engine that drives the train...its contrary to the mission of every private school.

Either way, all parties involved here were dedicated to helping a child in dire need of help. They represent the best in humanity, and I thank them for it. I just hope that they didn't do a real disservice to the child by compromising their integrity to facilitate his athletic career.

I'm not trying to challenge or question the mission of any other private school. I've gone to great lengths on these boards to defend BA against the nonsensical charges that are often made against it. Knowing BA well (and not knowing B'crest well) I have no doubt it has maintained its integrity and remained consistent with its mission over the years; they just happen to have a great football coach who can get the most out of the least (and the "mostest" out of the most) and people just can't accept that. The school is probably one of the least understood anywhere in America.

What this is about, to me, is hypocrisy that may or may not exist at private schools--ALL private schools, including my own. As in, there is this idea that a diverse student body is sought, and we will use our resources to create it, provided that this "diversity" helps us win championships.

I believe that part of the mission of every private school is to serve its community when there is absolutely no self-interest to be gained from it...as in, to seek out a diverse student body because its the right thing to do, and then make the resources available to the most in need and the most likely to utilize the opportunity to the fullest. Sometimes that intersects with athletics because athletics makes it easier for kids to thrive in these environments. It is wrong, however, when athletics become the engine that drives the train...its contrary to the mission of every private school.

Either way, all parties involved here were dedicated to helping a child in dire need of help. They represent the best in humanity, and I thank them for it. I just hope that they didn't do a real disservice to the child by compromising their integrity to facilitate his athletic career.

Well-reasoned and well stated. I agree 100% that if athletics becomes the end, and not one of the tools, towards achieving an objective, it is very sad.

All I can tell you is that I know Sean Tuohy as a friend, and have discussed this whole situation with him many times over the past several years. I can assure you that Sean had (and continues to have) nothing but Michael's best interests at heart throughout the process. Not his athletic best interests, but his best interests as a human being. My son also had the chance to get to know Michael a bit through athletics, and was always very impressed with his spirit of sportsmanship, friendliness, and his sense of humor.

I guess my emotion around this is due to my knowledge about the issue, and my respect for the Tuohy's for what they did, and continue to do.

I think it's great he's in college. I don't know if he'd have gotten the help if he wasn't 6'4" 300 pounds. That does prove, in my opinion, the need for a continuation of the partial split, if not a whole split.

Hey that`s awesome Indian! You are gonna take a case where a family helped a young man who was at dire ends and helped him out and make your case for a split. Bravo!!! :thumb:

I know several families that have taken kids in to help them out and they went to a public school.

I`m sorry, but for you to take the stand that this is a reason for a split sinks to a new low. Indian..you seem soooo bitter about private schools. It`s just a game man and these are just kids.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I thought it was a great article. I think what Oher has been able to accomplish is nothing short of a miracle. Obviously, the Tuohy's are great, caring, compasionate people. I think Michael's success is a result of their efforts, far more than Briarcrest's. Sure Briarcrest admitted him, but it seems if it weren't for the family, the kid would never had made it. It appears that Briarcrest never made much of an effort to help him out, at least academically. That fell on the family and the tutor. The whole thing about him taking online classes through BYU bothered me. What does that say about BYU and Ole Miss? I guess the Tuohy's connections at Ole Miss didn't hurt either. Regardless, great story, great kid. I wish him all the best.