Franklin vs. Brentwood?

sportschic24

2 great teams, great atmosphere with players from BA, BGA, Centennial, and a couple other schools. Interesting to see result when they meet again and Franklin has different girl in goal.

Franklin can put whoever they want in the goal, and Emily Bowen could have found a way to put that ball in the back of the net. She did it against Taryn Holland last year, and if you can find a better keeper than Taryn at Franklin then go ahead and try that when Brentwood and Franklin meet again this year... but the fact is, a breakaway goal like that is never a goalkeeper's fault. 10 other people made some sort of mistake for it to even get that far... as a goalkeeper coach you'd think you wouldn't be the one to blame the keeper on that play.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a keeper is all mental. It takes a lot of heart and courage to step on that field and be the last line of defense. If a forward makes a mistake they have many girls behind them to clean up their mess. Unfortunately as a goalkeeper you make a mistake you end up being scored on. No keeper is perfect. I have never heard of a keeper who has not gotten scored on here or there. You cannot go forward until you put it behind you. I was not at the game and truly wish I was but from what it sounds like the keeper was not at fault. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Someone commented on another thread about my record so far this season here at Mississippi State. It is not a good record and my stats are not clean. I am a freshman and I will make my mistakes. The two keepers at Franklin are both young and with experience they will develop. Encouragement is all that is asked. Good luck to both the keepers as well as Franklin. I miss the atmosphere out at Cheek! I hope to hear good news about the team in the next few weeks. GO LADY REBELS!!!

Taryn Holland

Franklin’s goalie played a solid game. I stood behind the Franklin end line the entire game shooting photos and probably had a better view than anyone other than the players. Emily Bowen drove through three Franklin defenders in the box to get the winning shot off. Flash Gordon was standing and talking to me as I took pictures of the sequence. The goalie was also shielded by her own players on the final shot and Emily put it out of her reach.

To see the photos look at the last six photos on the Lady Bruin web site for the Franklin game and judge for yourself on how the goal played out. However, no one needs to be saying that the young lady in goal cost Franklin the game. http://www.ladybruinsoccer.com/ladybruins/...6_Franklin.html

I thought brenwood had owned the 1st half, but thought Franklin had more opportunities than brentwood the second half and may have had the better of hte play. Brentwood seemed a little tired. The last brentwood goal was a nice effort by that player. The ball did hit the far post and went in. A Franklin forward hit the post earlier in the 2nd half and the ball rolled all the way across the line and trickled out instead of in. A centimeter on both players shot and the score is 2-1 Franklin. It was a good game, but Brentwood seemed to have a bigger and slightly faster lineup and appeared to be the favorite. I think they had a lot of upper classman and the Franklin team is younger. But I really wouldnt bet on the next game either way. fun game to watch by both teams

Franklin’s goalie played a solid game. I stood behind the Franklin end line the entire game shooting photos and probably had a better view than anyone other than the players. Emily Bowen drove through three Franklin defenders in the box to get the winning shot off. Flash Gordon was standing and talking to me as I took pictures of the sequence. The goalie was also shielded by her own players on the final shot and Emily put it out of her reach.

To see the photos look at the last six photos on the Lady Bruin web site for the Franklin game and judge for yourself on how the goal played out. However, no one needs to be saying that the young lady in goal cost Franklin the game. http://www.ladybruinsoccer.com/ladybruins/...6_Franklin.html

I thought brenwood had owned the 1st half, but thought Franklin had more opportunities than brentwood the second half and may have had the better of hte play. Brentwood seemed a little tired. The last brentwood goal was a nice effort by that player. The ball did hit the far post and went in. A Franklin forward hit the post earlier in the 2nd half and the ball rolled all the way across the line and trickled out instead of in. A centimeter on both players shot and the score is 2-1 Franklin. It was a good game, but Brentwood seemed to have a bigger and slightly faster lineup and appeared to be the favorite. I think they had a lot of upper classman and the Franklin team is younger. But I really wouldnt bet on the next game either way. fun game to watch by both teams

Being a keeper is all mental. It takes a lot of heart and courage to step on that field and be the last line of defense. If a forward makes a mistake they have many girls behind them to clean up their mess. Unfortunately as a goalkeeper you make a mistake you end up being scored on. No keeper is perfect. I have never heard of a keeper who has not gotten scored on here or there. You cannot go forward until you put it behind you. I was not at the game and truly wish I was but from what it sounds like the keeper was not at fault. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Someone commented on another thread about my record so far this season here at Mississippi State. It is not a good record and my stats are not clean. I am a freshman and I will make my mistakes. The two keepers at Franklin are both young and with experience they will develop. Encouragement is all that is asked. Good luck to both the keepers as well as Franklin. I miss the atmosphere out at Cheek! I hope to hear good news about the team in the next few weeks. GO LADY REBELS!!!

Taryn Holland

Your exceptional play at Franklin set the standard during the years you played in high school. As a freshman goalie in the SEC you owe no one an explanation for your play as they cannot imagine the jump in level of competition and expectation. Keep up the god work and you will be as good at MSU as you were at Franklin!

However, I am glad that Brentwood does not have to play against you any longer!

Hey is the Pride still the "JV" squad for the much acclaimed "other team" that we can leave un-named. Now I see where the "cred" comes from. I'm sure he just fired that comment not taking into consideration how it might sound.

I thought the Franktown keeper played outstanding considering the pressure of that game and the intensity of the night. It will serve her well, as she has great size and athleticism.

Too bad BA isn't invited to the 11AAA dance... :lol:

Wow, it is amazing how things can get started when there is so much emotion involved.

The only reason I even mentioned it was because of something a Franklin parent said to me at the game about how their defenders were not used to working with the girl that was in goal.

I would NEVER "blame" a keeper for a loss. I re-read my post and I did not mean it at all like it sounded. I am sorry that people took it that way and I understand why they did.

As to the Pride comment, I am assuming by the name "papa-K" that you are an adult. You would never know from comments like that.

Just to be sure I understand, you did not like the way that I said something about 1 girl, (which I admit I said very poorly), so you degrade and insult 20 girls in response?

I wonder if the board will react to that as strongly or if this is really just a Brentwood-Franklin thing and not really about the girls at all.

Brentwood started 3 seniors, 4 juniors and 4 sophomores. Having 7 upperclassmen does make a difference although the first goal was scored by a 9th grader.

Franklin started 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophomores and 3 freshmen.

Looks like some continued really good games in the next few years.

so you degrade and insult 20 girls in response?

I wonder if the board will react to that as strongly or if this is really just a Brentwood-Franklin thing and not really about the girls at all.

No shame in being the second team in the strongest age group in the strongest club in the state.

Just wanted to give an extra stir in the pot to see if it would set the "cook" off. Looks like it worked! The "Board"? As in...? The CoachT board...? TSSAA? ... of eductaion...? Supreme Court...? Please tell!

It really is all about FHS & BHS in this stream... HINT

That said... good luck v. Ryan!

Edited by papa-K

Wow, it is amazing how things can get started when there is so much emotion involved.

The only reason I even mentioned it was because of something a Franklin parent said to me at the game about how their defenders were not used to working with the girl that was in goal.

I would NEVER "blame" a keeper for a loss. I re-read my post and I did not mean it at all like it sounded. I am sorry that people took it that way and I understand why they did.

As to the Pride comment, I am assuming by the name "papa-K" that you are an adult. You would never know from comments like that.

Just to be sure I understand, you did not like the way that I said something about 1 girl, (which I admit I said very poorly), so you degrade and insult 20 girls in response?

tsk, tsk, a wee bit sensitive are we?

I believe that it was a famous striker from England who said:

"I like being a forward... you can miss 10, but make 1 and be the hero. As a keeper, you can save 10 and miss one and be the goat. I'd much rather be the hero."

Let's move on, please...

Edited by BigGExpress