Red Bank(6-0) @ Cleveland(6-0)

Are you kidding? Do you think scouts and colreps ("college representatives" pronounced "Call Reps") don't watch scrimmages and jamborees? A scout can see 8 teams play in a day at larger camps, and as many 20 teams a week (depending on travel requirements). A scout can only WATCH one game a week during the season, unless they are in a larger city - then they might catch a couple of quarters of two games. At scrimmages and jamborees, scouts can talk to a lot of folks and see a lot of kids at one venue (of course, they have to be careful with with whom they talk because of THE CALENDAR. "The Calendar" sets the NCAA's "quite periods" and "evaluation periods" which every scout (and especially colrep) better know by heart.

Furthermore, scouts will get asked to come to camps where multiple teams will be playing. The coaches KNOW scouts are there looking at certain players. The coaches ALWAYS want the scout to look at other kids ... sometimes a scout might find a gem, most times not. (It amazes some scouts that so many coaches don't realize how the college game is played these days; it has changed so much just in the last decade. Some of these "coach's kids" (as scouts might call them) could get seriously injured)

The Coach WANTS his player(s) to get recruited.

The Coach knows that scouts are there - in fact, he may have met with the scout for several hours.

The Coach knows which players are being watched.

Those players darn-well better play hard, or the scout writes a very terse email to his RC ("Recuiting Coordinator" of the college for whom he is working) saying something like "John Doe, County High, Memphis, NTO (meaning No Talent Observed) further evaluation not recommended."

And you say SCRIMMAGES DONT MATTER or that ANYONE knows you can't base anything on a SCRIMMAGE or ONE QUARTER?

How funny. You are simply clueless.

If a scrimmage or one quarter doesn't matter to your coach - he probably doesn't have anyone being recruited. Is that the case at Red Bank? I think not ... in fact, I'm pretty sure I Know not.

Here's some semi-interesting info about scouts, for those of you who are still reading.

During the season, they sit in hotel rooms watching tape on very expensive laptops ... and its called TAPE even though it is usually a dvd, nowadays.

They go to games and some practices (depending on the aforementioned CALENDAR). The REASON they go to the games is because they rarely get any useful information from tape unless they are evaluating a qb or rb. They never see how a wide out runs a pattern - you can evaluate their ability to catch and maybe their speed, but that's all. You get No info on lineman. Sometimes, a scout might get "isolation tape" on a particular player, but only from the bigger schools.

You might notice a scout at a game. He is usually sitting alone HIGH in the stands IF the stadium HAS high enough stands. (I say HE not to be sexist, but only because I don't know any female football scouts or colreps). He might be near the endzone if he is watching a lineman or kicker/punter. He might be sitting with another guy or even two ... they will likely have caps on of different colleges. They are likely doing exactly the same job and have probably known each other for years.

A scout might work for 3 or 4 colleges (a colrep obviously works for one and, in fact, is an employee of the school instead of an independent contractor, like the scout.)

Some scouts might have a clipboard or legal pad, although you don't see that as much now. Messages (to themselves, actually) can be sent via cell phone or PDA during the game.

Scouts will know everything about the players he's looking at as well as the schools they attend. They will look at power ratings, read every newspaper in sight, and call lots and lots of assistant coaches.

A scout will usually cover a fairly large territory and may visit several states - it depends on the colleges needs. A school with a national recruiting base, like a Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, Michigan and (yes) Tennessee, might send a scout all over. Most schools, however, recruit most of its players locally. (Miami and FSU could probably just recruit in Florida and still get the players it needs).

Some scouts will stay in one area for almost an entire season, if they are looking at 4 or 5 solid prospects in the same area. Interestingly, a scout might not be as concerned about the GREAT player in the newspapers. Its likely, THAT player has already passed out of his area of concern - in other words, the GREAT players start dealing with the university early in the process .... the scout isn't necessary. BUT here's the thing, very rarely does a GREAT player do it alone (the exception is the running back position). A GREAT qb probably has a good line and/or some great receivers. A scout looks for those other guys. A scout LOVES to find the kid with talent that no one has seen. Its also cool to see, say, a sophomore, who you know right off the bat is going to be great - and he actually BECOMES great. If the upside is BIG (say a qb or rb), a scout may spend a year or two "stalking" a particular team. (It also pisses a scout off royally when he invests so much time in a player and he (the player) commits early and out of the blue, just as the big boys from your school are getting ready to make a personal visit. Especially, when the big boys are from a university that no one (the press) really knew was in the picture (except the kid's parents and coaches), and when the school is one of the NATIONAL schools with a coach who is a legend ... well, I've HEARD that pisses scouts off)

Scouts scour message boards. A scout is usually alone and often bored. Message boards can be a good source of information. They can also make a scout absolutely nuts. Sometimes they have fun with overly zealous high school fans. Scouts are cynical, bored, and probably drunk by midnight on Friday. Sometimes they actually get on a message board and rant ... They might know enough about your school to make you think they graduated from those very hallowed halls. OR, even better, that they are fans of your greatest rival ... now that's fun ... I've heard.

But here's one last thing: IF the scout knows about your school ... and your competition ... and your coaches ... and he's hanging around in your specific area of a message board .... and he hasn't been around much (and if he is gone soon) ... he's probably looking at one (or maybe even two) of your players.

Good Night.

FYI, I have a great signed Gerald Riggs 8 x 10 ... the elder Riggs, when he was with the Redskins. He was (is still, I presume) a heckuva guy ... worked for a kids/boys organization of some kind around the chattanooga area. His son was simply gifted ... an absolute joy to watch.

who cares you bore me!!!!!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cleveland great team! you guys are very very good. class fan's, coaches, and team. like to play you again for state, don't think the it would or could workout, but it would be a great game.

once again, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, you guys have a real classy program...even though we lost, i feel like the players played one of their better games this season, defense was outstanding and i'm proud of them, Offense didn't play all that bad, just couldnt punch it in the endzone...Again i say Congrats RB, and maybe we will see you in round 3 of the TSSAA playoffs if one of us can knock out that monster of a team, called Maryville

Raider' date='Oct 7 2006 - 08:31 AM' post='826177253']

Cleveland does have a kicker. The one that was blocked was the lineman's fault and the one that went of the crossbar could have been kicked an inch harder and it would of made it. For a 50 - yard field goal try, if you can hit the cross bar, you can kick. I don't see that many HS kickers with that ability.

The blocked kick wasnt a lineman's fault, Ta Ta just came off the edge and layed out for it. Well, as far as hitting the crossbar for 50 in HS, thats pretty good. Just to let you know, RB's kicker has already hit 1 from 51 yrds out earlier in the season. :thumb: