clifford20

Clifford20, are you saying that your team will try to get away with illegal back row attacks just because a ref won't see it?

825748966[/snapback]

[/quote

If the ball is tight or not settable--yes, but not everytime, you pick your situations with that. It does not make sense to do it as a strategy because a set and hit are more effective. However, if you as a coach know that the ref will not catch it, then it is your best interest to instruct the setter to dump it. If you get caught...loss of rally, If you don't try it...loss of rally as well because the ball will probably fall into the net, or get crushed by the other defender.

Ideally, you have a setter that will jump set the ball...but most setters around here cannot do that effectively.

But most ref's will never even catch that it is a back row attach, so you must try it.

No different then bumping a receiver in football or balking in baseball. You don't teach it, but in certain circumstances...you do it and hope you don't get caught.

Clifford20, are you saying that your team will try to get away with illegal back row attacks just because a ref won't see it?

825748966[/snapback]

[/quote

If the ball is tight or not settable--yes, but not everytime, you pick your situations with that. It does not make sense to do it as a strategy because a set and hit are more effective. However, if you as a coach know that the ref will not catch it, then it is your best interest to instruct the setter to dump it. If you get caught...loss of rally, If you don't try it...loss of rally as well because the ball will probably fall into the net, or get crushed by the other defender.

Ideally, you have a setter that will jump set the ball...but most setters around here cannot do that effectively.

But most ref's will never even catch that it is a back row attach, so you must try it.

No different then bumping a receiver in football or balking in baseball. You don't teach it, but in certain circumstances...you do it and hope you don't get caught.

825749054[/snapback]

Cliff, I just don't think that is the right thing to do. Our coaches at Page don't advise our setter to do that. They remind her from the bench that she is back row and that she cannot dump(I know that because I am at the score table). Doing things because you can get away with them just doesn't seem right to me. In the big picture, aren't sports supposed to teach lessons to carry on into real life? This just doesn't send a good message.

On backrow attacks. In Chatt there a couple of officials who handle them expedisciously. They save time by pretending that the rule is not in the book, they speed up the game by not calling it, when a coach stands to question why they won't call it they demand that the coach sit down immediately, THEN turn away and QUICK SERVE THEIR TEAM! We've turned them in ..but, their love of power is so strong, they keep doing things like this when working matches for the coaches who know more than they do about the rules.

They know they refuse to learn this rule, they know some of the coaches do know the rule, and yet they still act superior about it, that's what is so laughable about their little power plays. As if people can't see thru it.

Clifford, I used to cheat, and did so very well. But, not anymore. It doesn't help kids to teach them it's OK to take something they didn't earn. Youth ahletics should build character, cheating to win does not build character. So, I offer to you that your situation is not really about a ref's lack of knowledge, it's about a coach's and player's integrity to themselves and to the game.

Have a good day.

To clarify again on first-ball-over contact, multiple contacts are ok, PROVIDED it is one attempt to play the ball. Overhead set on first ball and there is a bang-bang left hand to right hand contact is ok. If the ball bounces off her arm and she then swings to hit it over, you would have an illegal two contacts. As always, prolonged contact is never legal.

825749677[/snapback]

This is the call that was VERY inconsistant from ref to ref in the Page. It was clear some just didn't understand the first contact rule at all.

Double contacts were virtually never called unless the volleyball took to spinning like a frisbee. To TGLJ's credit he did site my daughter for an obvious double contact, but did blow a lift call on a set that was absolutely perfect. It happened towards the end of the 23-25 game two loss to Independence that forced a third game our girls lost. I've watched it about 10 times back on video and it just didnt occur. I didn't think so then either and neither did our coach. The set was a thing of beauty from her deeply bent knees to our MB that proceeded to drill it into open space but was negated. I'm not bitter though. I dont think it was intentional and the loss didn't cost us the tournament, but I have video evidence he missed one. :thumb:

On backrow attacks.  In Chatt there a couple of officials who handle them expedisciously.  They save time by pretending that the rule is not in the book, they speed up the game by not calling it, when a coach stands to question why they won't call it they demand that the coach sit down immediately, THEN turn away and QUICK SERVE THEIR TEAM!  We've turned them in ..but, their love of power is so strong, they keep doing things like this when working matches for the coaches who know more than they do about the rules.

They know they refuse to learn this rule, they know some of the coaches do know the rule, and yet they still act superior about it, that's what is so laughable about their little power plays.  As if people can't see thru it.

Clifford, I used to cheat, and did so very well.  But, not anymore.  It doesn't help kids to teach them it's OK to take something they didn't earn.  Youth ahletics should build character, cheating to win does not build character.  So, I offer to you that your situation is not really about a ref's lack of knowledge, it's about a coach's and player's integrity to themselves and to the game.

Have a good day.

825749189[/snapback]

Compassion, sorry to hear that you used to have a problem with cheating. I cannot relate to that, but glad you over came those tendencies.

To relate lack of character and cheating to hitting a back row attach is crazy.

To relate lack of character and cheating to hitting a back row attach is crazy.

825750011[/snapback]

Have to agree with that. Back row attacks are almost always on setters. Very rarely on a DS. My daughter is a setter in a 6-2 offense. That means she's a back row only setter. Obviously she would never jump up and hit a ball just because she thought she could get away with it, but on overpassed balls she sometimes is forced to leave her feet and try to jump set a bad pass back to a hitter or just take it on over with one hand and take her chances. For the most part she gets called for a back row attack, but she's got away with it several times. She's not cheating, but she's not screaming to the ref back row attack on herself either. :thumb: It's the refs responsibility to make the call.

Edited by KYdigsTN

What's the name of that river in Africa ...??

OK, I'll let it go Clifford, I gotta go trial test (but not "steal") some grapes from the grocery store.

825750040[/snapback]

CP,

You made your point a long time ago. If you want to get personal, save it. Play nice.

Digs-

If you've watched it 10x on slow motion, then I can't argue. I'd love to see it (and the whole match, really) if the chance ever presented itself. There is nothing like learning from your own mistakes. The fact that you, of ALL people, have got one on me makes me laugh. B)

Announcements