Just making myself clear

TheBoredGuy

I tried posting this in the Milan-Humboldt thread but it was locked before I could finish. I think, however, this needs to be made very clear.

It's pretty obvious several people mistook our reactions on the air on 96.5 during the 7:00-9:30 show when Mr. Haney first opened the floodgates. I will let Brent and Steven speak for themselves if they want to, but let me make it very clear right now that I was not "thrilled" to hear that. Why in the world would I be? For pete's sake, my daytime (and often nighttime as well) job is to cover the positive aspects of high school sports. Why would I take any pleasure in hearing a program was going to have to forfeit its first four wins?

What several people apparently interpreted as elation was surprise.

Let me again make my position very clear. I take no pleasure in knowing that a group of high school kids who have worked their tails off in the spring, summer, and early fall might have to forfeit four games they won on the field. I hope that the reports do turn out to be erroneous and that the player will be cleared as eligible.

I really do not wish to get further caught up in this. I have attempted to clear the air and correct some misinterpretations over the intent behind what was said. It's time to move on.

I tried posting this in the Milan-Humboldt thread but it was locked before I could finish. I think, however, this needs to be made very clear.

It's pretty obvious several people mistook our reactions on the air on 96.5 during the 7:00-9:30 show when Mr. Haney first opened the floodgates. I will let Brent and Steven speak for themselves if they want to, but let me make it very clear right now that I was not "thrilled" to hear that. Why in the world would I be? For pete's sake, my daytime (and often nighttime as well) job is to cover the positive aspects of high school sports. Why would I take any pleasure in hearing a program was going to have to forfeit its first four wins?

Let me again make my position very clear. I take no pleasure in knowing that a group of high school kids who have worked their tails off in the spring, summer, and early fall might have to forfeit four games they won on the field. I hope that the reports do turn out to be erroneous and that the player will be cleared as eligible.

I really do not wish to get further caught up in this. I have attempted to clear the air and correct some misinterpretations over the intent behind what was said. It's time to move on.

I also hope the reports are erroneous. But I can tell you care about what you do and I appreciate your efforts to clear the air.

I can't really add much more than what I've already said in the Milan/Humboldt and Milan/Huntingdon threads, but I will echo what John said above, and also say that if it were any third party making the statement on the air Friday other than Bill Haney and Murphy Fair, I'm hitting the off button on the studio phone and quickly moving on. Like John, Murphy earns his income from covering HS sports, and with his name attached to it....my immediate thought was that he's not about to jeopardize his Gibson County/West TN income stream over false accusations, so we spent time talking about it.

As for myself, any thrill, excitement, or other emotion anyone heard on the air was not joy. What you heard was surprise, disbelief, amazement, shock, astonishment, or generally any other word or phrase that means "Wow...I never saw that coming at 9:05 tonight." Without seeing our reaction in studio, I can see how it may have been misread.

I rarely post to Coach T, but reading that we were excited, thrilled, etc... that Milan might be 0-5 really couldn't be any further from the truth.

I mentioned in another post today that we don't condone people taking shots at programs. We've cut off several callers this year who elected to go the route of name calling and making false accusations on the shows, so if we had any inkling that the information discussed by Bill/Murphy was incorrect, we're not even going there on the air.

I hope the reports are wrong. If they are, you'll hear about it on our shows. If they're right, then Milan's still in the hunt for a Region title if they win out.

Either way, it's considerably more enjoyable to talk about the upcoming Milan/Huntingdon game than any of these potential off the field issues.

Edited by stlbss22

Understood.

The bottom line on this issue is the Milan High School coaches and administration have gone to great lengths with the TSSAA to make sure this player was legal before the first game was ever played. If Milan gets slapped with a penalty now, what can you do about it? The important thing to remember is Milan let this young man play because they were sure it was ok and were not trying to hide anything.

Understood.

The bottom line on this issue is the Milan High School coaches and administration have gone to great lengths with the TSSAA to make sure this player was legal before the first game was ever played. If Milan gets slapped with a penalty now, what can you do about it? The important thing to remember is Milan let this young man play because they were sure it was ok and were not trying to hide anything.

Sounds like the deal that Gallatin went through a couple of years ago...thought they had done everything they were supposed to do to insure that a kid was eligible, then the TSSAA springs something on them later. I can remember it being discussed on this site extensivly back then.

Edited by 1AMAN

Sounds like the deal that Gallatin went through a couple of years ago...thought they had done everything they were supposed to do to insure that a kid was eligible, then the TSSAA springs something on them later. I can remember it being discussed on this site extensivly back then.

I remember it as well and I believe it cost Gallatin a playoff spot.

Wish I didn't remember it.

Can someone please fill me in on what is going on?I havnt heard anything about this until now.I am from westview and i look forward to playing milan each year because it is always a great game.I would reallly appreciate it if someone could fill me in.

Basically Milan got a transfer from USJ this year. From the sound of it Milan made an effort to make sure that the player was eligible. However, now there seems to be some question about it with the TSSAA. I think they are suppose to know something this week. I haven`t heard what is exactly in question.

Thanks VolunteerGeneral.I didnt know anything about it until today.I wish the best of luck to the team and the coaches.I play for westview so i know how it feels to bust ur butt in practice and i can only imagine what it would feel like to have it all taken away in the blink of an eye.I hope that it dosnt mess up yalls season.Look forward to playin yall.