"Quit Smiling!"

Cowboys Up

What if it IS funny to shank a ball?

Alot of us have learned so much from Bond at Ga. Tech, their culture is unique, refreshing and effective. I remember one moment very vividly where one of his players shanked a pass at a somewhat crucial time ..she smiled into a chuckle as she looked at the coach and he was already smiling and chuckling. You can read into that what you want... but, I think there is alot of wisdom to be found in that outlook. Once the shank is being shagged it seems to me that the best actions are actions that allow the player to be comfortable and confident to do her best next point ...I don't see how making them feel guilty or mornful or punished or down or adopting a fake over-seriousness helps them play their best on the next play. In games we certainly shouldn't even tell them what they did wrong, they know they messed up and they know what they did and talking about the lousy past only increases the odds they won't be ready and confident to do their best on the next play that starts in 6-9 seconds. Let's let em smile if it helps in games and teach them how to care or focus in practice.

I like players that smile shank or kill. Focus yes, but stay loose. I think a smiling player may be looser than a frowner. Imagine a girl that enjoys the game enough to smile while she plays – winning or losing. I’ll take a whole team of those please! Stay focused, adjust, but laugh or smile or do what ever to stay POSITIVE and UP.

Here is a story (sorry), I was coaching a team and a girl just made our 3rd bone head error, so I was calling here name (you know how coaches like to give that obvious sage advice after an error) and she was ignoring me of course. I could see her tighten up and I did not want her to be afraid to mess up thus ensuring another error. So I got the girls by me to yell here name on the count of 3. 1……2…..3……Mary! So she kind of blushes a little and hesitates to looks at me. I decided to forget about giving the ‘tip’ so I just wave and say, “I just wanted to say, Hi!”

So she grins and gives me a “coach, you are so weird” kind of head shake. I don’t remember the outcome of the game, but I do remember that moment. There are plenty of times I have taken my frustration out on my players, refs, and teammates or tried to yell inspiration or fear of failure in players, but sadly, I have just the one good story.

Surely you can be a very competitive, winning champion and well adjusted?

For when the One Great Scorer comes

To write against your name,

He marks-not that you won or lost-

But how you played the game.

Grantland Rice, "Alumunus Football," Only the Brave and Other Poems, p. 144 (1941)

Perhaps, just perhaps, that "smile" is her game face. The "fake" (the other team didn't know it was fake) smile that my daughter put on was to say "I'm ok and that mistake won't happen again.

But it does drive my husband (her dad) crazy. He can't see how smiling and laughing is taking it seriously :lol:

Senior captains shouldn't smile and show they're having fun playing the game? I believe it might be even more important for a captain to keep the team loose and having fun, yet focused on the task at hand. I've always noticed that teams that have fun playing the game seem to win more. Every individual girl I've ever seen with one or two exceptions plays better when they are relaxed and just "playing."

The team tried to recover the shank...it just wasn't successful. It was a mistake by this girl, and the recovery attempt was a good one by her teammates. They didn't let each other down, nor did they let the coach down by making a mistake.

Flightmaster, with all due respect, you missed the point.

Man, it's a great day when you can find posts on here SO GOOD that you don't even have to say anything. I'm only posting to say that I agree with these and have even used them myself, sometimes verbatim.

One time, in a baseball game, our pitcher was struggling and the assistants were begging me to pull him. He was a stud so I just called time and went to the mound with the infield. He was EXPECTING to give me the ball. But, guess what? I asked those gathered if they knew a joke. They also gave me that "he's weird" look. I's just tryin' to loosen 'em up a bit. They were too tight and too focused on making mistakes instead of making plays. I think the pro's always say "let the game come to you." I subscribe to that adage. And I think the worst thing a coach can do to a girl (or boy, for that matter) is pull them right after one mistake. Come on, nobody's perfect and, like ComPassion said, they KNOW they messed up. Nobody needs to make a big deal out of it. ESPECIALLY your own coach, team or fans. If your own 'family' don't support you, what tha...

I've personally witnessed Laura Brock smiling. I don't know if she's the senior captain or not, but I'd be willing to bet she is. If not, she ought to be. When I think of her, I think of the word 'poise.'

Just my two cents.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your input, catnash1, and welcome to the Volleyball Forum. I hope to see more posts from you in the future. All sports require a positive attitude for success. Even if a player makes an error, they must resolve to do better next time. If smiling relieves the tension of making an error and to get more positive about the next point, then do it. A player must remain positive and not dwell on past errors. I don't think that smiling equates with not taking the game seriously. Of course, when the next ball comes over the net, a player must be focused on making the dig and the good pass to the setter. Positive encouragement from the supporters can help a team get over that missed point and make the better play the next time. Negative remarks can be reserved for adult lines people who are not paying attention to the game.

Thanks for your input, catnash1, and welcome to the Volleyball Forum. I hope to see more posts from you in the future. All sports require a positive attitude for success. Even if a player makes an error, they must resolve to do better next time. If smiling relieves the tension of making an error and to get more positive about the next point, then do it. A player must remain positive and not dwell on past errors. I don't think that smiling equates with not taking the game seriously. Of course, when the next ball comes over the net, a player must be focused on making the dig and the good pass to the setter. Positive encouragement from the supporters can help a team get over that missed point and make the better play the next time. Negative remarks can be reserved for adult lines people who are not paying attention to the game.

ExACTly! :lol::(;)

CU, I have to empathize with you. I think most of us agree, it's about the girls, not the parents. If it was my daughter the other father yelled at, I'm not sure what I would have done but I'm betting it wouldn't have been very friendly. If I was the coach of the team, I think I would have to make a pretty strong statement, like call timeout and go over and talk to him directly (in front of everyone)! That had to be embarassing for the player.

i'm glad to hear that you'd stand up for your daughter haha i think she'd appreciate that very very much! also i agree that if i was the coach and heard that then i'd also make a pretty strong statement!

What if it IS funny to shank a ball?

Alot of us have learned so much from Bond at Ga. Tech, their culture is unique, refreshing and effective. I remember one moment very vividly where one of his players shanked a pass at a somewhat crucial time ..she smiled into a chuckle as she looked at the coach and he was already smiling and chuckling. You can read into that what you want... but, I think there is alot of wisdom to be found in that outlook. Once the shank is being shagged it seems to me that the best actions are actions that allow the player to be comfortable and confident to do her best next point ...I don't see how making them feel guilty or mornful or punished or down or adopting a fake over-seriousness helps them play their best on the next play. In games we certainly shouldn't even tell them what they did wrong, they know they messed up and they know what they did and talking about the lousy past only increases the odds they won't be ready and confident to do their best on the next play that starts in 6-9 seconds. Let's let em smile if it helps in games and teach them how to care or focus in practice.

i'm gona have to agree with CP here...yes, us players don't need negative feedback by the coach dwelling on the last point (or teammates likewise) we need a positive coach that will help us back up and tell us just to make this next point happen! that is what i truly loved about you...shank it well....get the next one! it's just that simple and some people don't perceive it to be but it really is as simple as letting go of the last point that you screwed up on and focusing on the point about to happen.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Easier said than done. The man who ran for 250+ yards and 3TDs is gonna be back….and a lot bigger.
    • plus it removes the pressure around winning.
    • You are correct.   The teacher's pay scale is virtually the same in Knox County, now, as it is at Oak Ridge.   The coaching supplements are still higher at Oak Ridge, from what I was told, but not a huge difference.   Plus, Rusty is going from a position coach to an OC position, which is what he was at South Doyle and where his comfort zone is.  And from a special education teaching slot to a PE teaching slot.  There is a lot of positivity in that move without even considering the coaching aspect.   Anybody who sees something negative here is just looking for negativity to begin with.  But some live in that world.   Really good hire for Brent.  He now has two experienced and quality coordinators and can concentrate on being a head football coach.  
    • He was pretty darn good for a freshman, but he will have a hard time seeing the field at Oakland for a good while, I’m afraid.
    • Dang I feel bad for the kid. I’m sure he loves his dad and wants to do anything for his dad but I don’t think he realizes his dad isn’t doing the best for his football career if he keeps jumping schools.