Sevier County @ Jefferson County

Warlock

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sevier County wins this one! They almost beat the #1 team in the state. Unless the bottom completely falls out, they won't have any trouble with Jefferson County.

Sevier Co. 28

Jeff. Co. 14

WOW! I guess I'm getting pretty good at predicting scores! :thumb:

Edited by athlete269

The "this team is young" excuse can only fly for so long, we will always have a young team because there is very little turnover from one year to next. You can`t have only 4 or 5 seniors every year then try the this is a young team excuse, a large majority of this years team are sophomores, surprisingly a large amount of last years team were guess what.......sophomores. Want to take a guess for next year?

and the "JC4Life knows what he's talking about excuse only flys for so long too" who quit????? no one worth a crap, dipwad.

I couldnt agree with you more billiard13. I mean, it is the coach's fault. He is the one responsible for the offense putting the ball on the ground 4 times and losing 3 of them, and also throwing two picks. I mean, that is all coaching right there. Isnt it???? Your intellence level is not that high, is it?? And as far the the kickoffs go for last night, the coach had a good strategy. why would you want to kick it deep to probably the best athlete that the pats have faced all year. Dave is a great kicker, but he has not been able to put it in then endzone for the past few weeks.. that is too big of a risk to take because the coverage team is not that fast. they try hard, but those returners are too explosive. so the high pooch kick was a great call. force them to call a fair catch on around the 35, except for one that dave kicked short.. It is people like you, and cline, and JC4Life for why this program is struggling. Fairweather fans. You only support the kids when they are winning..and if they lose it is automatically the coach's fault.. The coaches put the players in the right positions to make the play (which they have done a descent job of), and it is up to the players to execute.

the pats are young and they have a good group of kids out who want to get better, unlike some of the cline's of the past.. now how are these kids suppose to improve when there are people like you all tearing them down.. this team is a family, and when you start complaining and riping on a coach or a player then it affects the entire team.. if you actually understood the game, then you would not be complaining when you see what has went wrong this season and why. use logic. If you cant understand the game and support what you say is your team, then shut up.. and by the way, it appears that you and cline are on the same team so i would be careful because he has the tendency to kick his own teammates in ######s.

If you are a patriot fan and supporter, then SUPPORT the program and everyone in it or SHUT UP and stop trying to tear the team down!!!!! This is high school football for crying out loud...

I've supported the program and gave the coach support for the better part of his career here at JCHS. I supported him because he was the coach. Yes, the players are the ones playing the game but when the coach calls the plays.

Some notes...

- Pooch kicking because you're afraid of the other team's speed. What message does this send to your players? Hmmm

- Three straight running plays when you're facing 1st and 20 because of penalties, gaining a total of 4 yards.

- Pooch kicking, if you're that afraid of the other team, kick an onside kick where speed isn't a concern, if you're going to coach scared, at least give your kids a chance to get something out of it.

- Benching your starting QB.....for one series. Ok son, you're playing bad, you're benched. 5 minutes later....oh wait, get back in there and win for us. Nice strategy, mixed signals. Either put Zach in and give him a chance or leave Spencer in. Either way, that wasn't the way to approach it.

- As for the picks, Spencer throws them regularly, everyone knows it, you don't have to be a coach to watch a kid throw INT after INT and realize he just can't accurately throw the ball. He'd be better served as a RB or some other position, he just isn't accurate passing the ball. He was also at least one of the fumbles. The FB laid one down and given that he's filling in for one of many injured players, i'd say overall he did a pretty good job last night.

Looks to me like you're the one placing all of the blame on the kids, nice support for your team there. That's a bit hippocritical don't you think? Yes, the kids play the game, but call some fairly obvious calls and stop making ignorant calls as a coach and give those kids a chance.

I especially like the part where you say the coaches have done a decent job of putting the players in a position to win. I guess you didn't go to the Karns game, or the SC game, or any other game for that matter, that's just too funny of a statement. The play calling is well, sad, at best.

The list is endless, I could fill several pages with the mistakes the coach has made. I've also been to every game this year. There's no fair weather support going on here. I DO support the kids and the program. I would just like to see them be given a chance to succeed when they play their hearts out. I will continue to follow and go to the JCHS games year in and year out, i'm just tired of watching the kids being set up to fail by the coach.

They need a coach that will give them a chance to win, not just 'discipline', something their parents are responsible for. That isn't happening. Time for a change. Either the coach needs to quit coaching scared and play ball, or he needs to go.

Do you folks even realize the history of the coach anyways? Do you realize his past history at Oakland? Inheriting a team and winning with it, then within a few short years leading the program to a dwindling turnout just as he's done here at JCHS WITHOUT the winning part at the beginning?

Something is wrong and it needs corrected. You can only say 'next year' so many times or 'we're young and rebuilding', or the 'kid's don't like discipline'. Pretty soon you have to look at actions on the field and discern whether this coach actually knows how to coach football or not.

I think everyone pretty much knows the answer to that.

Btw - at least the 'assistant coaches' came to the big middle school game last week in Jeff Co.. Was the head coach there? No.

Edited by billiard13

I've supported the program and gave the coach support for the better part of his career here at JCHS. I supported him because he was the coach. Yes, the players are the ones playing the game but when the coach calls the plays.

Some notes...

- Pooch kicking because you're afraid of the other team's speed. What message does this send to your players? Hmmm

- Three straight running plays when you're facing 1st and 20 because of penalties, gaining a total of 4 yards.

- Pooch kicking, if you're that afraid of the other team, kick an onside kick where speed isn't a concern, if you're going to coach scared, at least give your kids a chance to get something out of it.

- Benching your starting QB.....for one series. Ok son, you're playing bad, you're benched. 5 minutes later....oh wait, get back in there and win for us. Nice strategy, mixed signals. Either put Zach in and give him a chance or leave Spencer in. Either way, that wasn't the way to approach it.

- As for the picks, Spencer throws them regularly, everyone knows it, you don't have to be a coach to watch a kid throw INT after INT and realize he just can't accurately throw the ball. He'd be better served as a RB or some other position, he just isn't accurate passing the ball. He was also at least one of the fumbles. The FB laid one down and given that he's filling in for one of many injured players, i'd say overall he did a pretty good job last night.

Looks to me like you're the one placing all of the blame on the kids, nice support for your team there. That's a bit hippocritical don't you think? Yes, the kids play the game, but call some fairly obvious calls and stop making ignorant calls as a coach and give those kids a chance.

I especially like the part where you say the coaches have done a decent job of putting the players in a position to win. I guess you didn't go to the Karns game, or the SC game, or any other game for that matter, that's just too funny of a statement. The play calling is well, sad, at best.

The list is endless, I could fill several pages with the mistakes the coach has made. I've also been to every game this year. There's no fair weather support going on here. I DO support the kids and the program. I would just like to see them be given a chance to succeed when they play their hearts out. I will continue to follow and go to the JCHS games year in and year out, i'm just tired of watching the kids being set up to fail by the coach.

They need a coach that will give them a chance to win, not just 'discipline', something their parents are responsible for. That isn't happening. Time for a change. Either the coach needs to quit coaching scared and play ball, or he needs to go.

Do you folks even realize the history of the coach anyways? Do you realize his past history at Oakland? Inheriting a team and winning with it, then within a few short years leading the program to a dwindling turnout just as he's done here at JCHS WITHOUT the winning part at the beginning?

Something is wrong and it needs corrected. You can only say 'next year' so many times or 'we're young and rebuilding', or the 'kid's don't like discipline'. Pretty soon you have to look at actions on the field and discern whether this coach actually knows how to coach football or not.

I think everyone pretty much knows the answer to that.

Btw - at least the 'assistant coaches' came to the big middle school game last week in Jeff Co.. Was the head coach there? No.

Billiard13,

I agree with everything except the last part, Coach U was at the Maury/ Jefferson Championship game. He and coach Brimer were on the other side of the field watching, but this was the one and only game he came to. Too little too late. Things will not change because the kids have said they will not play for Coach Euverard.

Billiard13,

I agree with everything except the last part, Coach U was at the Maury/ Jefferson Championship game. He and coach Brimer were on the other side of the field watching, but this was the one and only game he came to. Too little too late. Things will not change because the kids have said they will not play for Coach Euverard.

Thanks for correcting me. My apologies to the coach on that one, I never saw him, though the assistant coaches were down on the sidelines the entire game.

You know, it's really a shame, because having met him, he's really a good guy and person in general. I just don't think he's a very good head football coach. Maybe he'd make a better coordinator or something?

Thanks for correcting me. My apologies to the coach on that one, I never saw him, though the assistant coaches were down on the sidelines the entire game.

You know, it's really a shame, because having met him, he's really a good guy and person in general. I just don't think he's a very good head football coach. Maybe he'd make a better coordinator or something?

Whats funny is that it was after people on here talked about the coaches needing to go to a middle school game or two that HS coaches showed up. 3 years of not going and now all of suddenly he decides to go? Warlock had it right too little too late.

you people must not have a life...you get on here and argue and talk crap about coach Eu...dang you guys are cool..why dont you all get a life and leave coach Eu alone...and for all you "Patriot Fans" if you are what you say you are then you would stick you for the team and the coaching staff....

you people must not have a life...you get on here and argue and talk crap about coach Eu...dang you guys are cool..why dont you all get a life and leave coach Eu alone...and for all you "Patriot Fans" if you are what you say you are then you would stick you for the team and the coaching staff....

HURRAH.....finally a person with some sense on here!!! Obviously someone from the TEAM who knows more than any of you guys trying to diagnose everything! Tell Marty we are rooting for him here in Murfreesboro!!

Whats funny is that it was after people on here talked about the coaches needing to go to a middle school game or two that HS coaches showed up. 3 years of not going and now all of suddenly he decides to go? Warlock had it right too little too late.

It's never too late in my opinion, but whether it's a coaching change or a coaching philosophy change or whatever, something needs to be done.

Personally, I think it's a great sign that the coaches did in fact show up at the game. It shows that maybe they're willing to try something new to help the program. It's certainly a step in the right direction and that's a good thing.

They should be given credit where credit is due. I just wish the decision making in the games would improve. Either way, any progress is positive. Maybe there's still hope for this coaching staff!

billard, next time you try to crack on Marty U, do a lil research from someone who was actually AT Oakland with vested interest instead of listening to JC4life's slanted and uninformed views. The head coach prior to Marty at Oakland resigned before he was fired. His name was Rick Butler. We had some talent for sure, but the kids were walking on a tightrope playing for Butler. He was VERY physically aggressive with the kids. That is the nicest way that I can put things. We lost a LOT of kids b/c of it. If you messed up....dang you paid a HUGE price. It was not unusual for Butler to jump on the player's backs when they messed up and strike themrepeatedly on their helmets hard. The refs hated the man and he got so many calls against him. He is the DC for Siegel right now, and was recently FIRED by the superintendent for impulsive behavior. He had been ejected from a game and prior to that had caused 75 yds of calls against HIMSELF from the refs. He knows his footbal and teaches great techniquel, but is a straightup POWDER keg. Parents were thrilled when he left.To help you to better understand, he has been at least 4 different schools since he left OHS. Marty inherited some talent, but the TEAM was in a HUGE mess. He had to carefully mend the situation, and he did. Let';s see you be in the same town as RIVERDALE and compete. A kid who was zoned for OHS ...maybe you have heard of him......played for Riverdale and got Mr Football. Ralph King?? I could give you so many more examples of TALENT that was at Riverdale zoned for us. You could play there and act any way that you wanted.

Marty went to the playoffs every yr he was at OHS . What messed us up was losing 17 of our players to SIEGEL when it opened. Our old principal became superintendent for a brief period of time. He was selected as principal of Siegel and set the zone lines in HIS favor. OHS was crippled and saddled with a 47 % free lunch population. We are exactly 3 miles away from Siegel and there have been major zone exemptions granted where Mommy doesn't want baby mixing with the free lunchers and such. If you look at emrollment figures, you will see OHS was the smallest 5A school in the state at that time, and our school that was built to help with overcrowding had about 500 more kids than we did. Of course Riverdale is the largest population in the county. TRY being in the same region as Riverdale. It hurts you as we normally got put out by them in the playoffs.Marty did NOT run any program in the ground...... SIEGEL killed ALL our sports programs. We have a new principal who is trying his best to instill some much needed discipline in our school population. They are trying to instill some PRIDE back in the school, and forcing those who used fake addresses to leave it to have to come back. It has taken us three yrs to try to build our enrollment numbers up.We are still the smallest of the 6 5A schools in Rutherford Cty and the smallest enrollement in our region.Once that happens, we will get more kids out for all sports. Again....it is a UP and OUT lie to say that Marty ran our program in the ground. In FACT, he was OFFERED the head coach job at Siegel. That is how much the ex principal that left OHS for Siegel thought of Marty's ability as a football head coach.

Marty does not tolerate drugs in any fashion. MY son, who actually played for Marty.....said it was great for peer pressure to play for U. When kids wanted you to go drink or dope it up, he would tell them he couldn't b/c if U found out he would get kicked off the team. Football meant everything to my son, and everyone of his friends knew it. Kids understand that where they may not understand if you simply said NO. Marty taught my son values as well as discipline and team. He hasn't changed. He won't quit these boys. You will have to fire him to get rid of him.

BTW....Marty beat Riverdale TWICE in his tenure.....even when they had SUPERIOR athletes and at least triple the number of coaches. Can anyone else claim that?? RHS won the state in 97 and again in 2001. Not sure how many silver balls they got when he was at OHS too. We won the state in 98 and went to the semis in 99. Not bad, huh?

Edited by 2priceless

billard, next time you try to crack on Marty U, do a lil research from someone who was actually AT Oakland with vested interest instead of listening to JC4life's slanted and uninformed views. The head coach prior to Marty at Oakland resigned before he was fired. His name was Rick Butler. We had some talent for sure, but the kids were walking on a tightrope playing for Butler. He was VERY physically aggressive with the kids. That is the nicest way that I can put things. We lost a LOT of kids b/c of it. If you messed up....dang you paid a HUGE price. It was not unusual for Butler to jump on the player's backs when they messed up and strike themrepeatedly on their helmets hard. The refs hated the man and he got so many calls against him. He is the DC for Siegel right now, and was recently FIRED by the superintendent for impulsive behavior. He had been ejected from a game and prior to that had caused 75 yds of calls against HIMSELF from the refs. He knows his footbal and teaches great techniquel, but is a straightup POWDER keg. Parents were thrilled when he left.To help you to better understand, he has been at least 4 different schools since he left OHS. Marty inherited some talent, but the TEAM was in a HUGE mess. He had to carefully mend the situation, and he did. Let';s see you be in the same town as RIVERDALE and compete. A kid who was zoned for OHS ...maybe you have heard of him......played for Riverdale and got Mr Football. Ralph King?? I could give you so many more examples of TALENT that was at Riverdale zoned for us. You could play there and act any way that you wanted.

Marty went to the playoffs every yr he was at OHS . What messed us up was losing 17 of our players to SIEGEL when it opened. Our old principal became superintendent for a brief period of time. He was selected as principal of Siegel and set the zone lines in HIS favor. OHS was crippled and saddled with a 47 % free lunch population. We are exactly 3 miles away from Siegel and there have been major zone exemptions granted where Mommy doesn't want baby mixing with the free lunchers and such. If you look at emrollment figures, you will see OHS was the smallest 5A school in the state at that time, and our school that was built to help with overcrowding had about 500 more kids than we did. Of course Riverdale is the largest population in the county. TRY being in the same region as Riverdale. It hurts you as we normally got put out by them in the playoffs.Marty did NOT run any program in the ground...... SIEGEL killed ALL our sports programs. We have a new principal who is trying his best to instill some much needed discipline in our school population. They are trying to instill some PRIDE back in the school, and forcing those who used fake addresses to leave it to have to come back. It has taken us three yrs to try to build our enrollment numbers up.We are still the smallest of the 6 5A schools in Rutherford Cty and the smallest enrollement in our region.Once that happens, we will get more kids out for all sports. Again....it is a UP and OUT lie to say that Marty ran our program in the ground. In FACT, he was OFFERED the head coach job at Siegel. That is how much the ex principal that left OHS for Siegel thought of Marty's ability as a football head coach.

Marty does not tolerate drugs in any fashion. MY son, who actually played for Marty.....said it was great for peer pressure to play for U. When kids wanted you to go drink or dope it up, he would tell them he couldn't b/c if U found out he would get kicked off the team. Football meant everything to my son, and everyone of his friends knew it. Kids understand that where they may not understand if you simply said NO. Marty taught my son values as well as discipline and team. He hasn't changed. He won't quit these boys. You will have to fire him to get rid of him.

BTW....Marty beat Riverdale TWICE in his tenure.....even when they had SUPERIOR athletes and at least triple the number of coaches. Can anyone else claim that?? RHS won the state in 97 and again in 2001. Not sure how many silver balls they got when he was at OHS too. We won the state in 98 and went to the semis in 99. Not bad, huh?

Like I said, Coach is a great guy and i'm glad he doesn't tolerate drugs but calling plays on a football field isn't the same thing as having a zero tolerance for drugs. I would expect any head coach at JCHS to be the same way towards drugs. It doesn't mean you can be a successful head football coach.

Why did Coach U leave then if the program didn't go south during his tenure (which it did)? As you stated, he inherited the talent to succeed, but before he left, the program was headed downhill.

Bottom line, if he was so successful at Oakland, why is he at JCHS now?

No, that's not bad what Oakland has accomplished and I wish you well in the future too. But my main concern is our kids and our program here at JCHS, which is faltering badly at present. That's happening on Coach U's watch. I'm glad he's keeping them off of drugs, (again, something a coach shouldn't have to do, but good nevertheless) but that doesn't make you a good football coach, it makes you a good person with good values. There are lots of folks in the world that don't tolerate drugs, it doesn't mean they can be a head football coach.

Besides, your post, while it's a nice history of a bad coach at Oakland before Coach U, doesn't really negate any of the points I made. He inherited the talent, took them to state, then the program went downhill on his watch. Now it's happening at JCHS and folks are wondering how long it will take place before he either miraculously saves the program (in his 3rd year already) or moves on. Remember, our program wasn't on a downward spiral when he got here, it was just fine at the time.

Lastly, if you love his coaching so much, why did you let him go in the first place?

I've said it before and i'll say it again, he's a great guy, a good citizen. He's just not shown anyone around here that he can be a competent head coach. He can't get the kids to come out and play for him, he loses the best athletes we have to transfers and he makes some pretty questionable calls in the games. It's only a matter of time before game revenues drop and the school board takes action. I just hope if he's capable of turning it around like you claim he is, that it's on a hastened time table because three years in, we're still heading downhill and haven't even slowed to turn and make the trek back upwards yet.

Hard as it may seem for you to believe, I honestly hope that he can make this work. I'm just not sure he can based on the play calling i've seen on the field lately. I think he's shown a resolve to get out and go to the middle school games and maybe that's a start towards better communications and relations with the kids and that will improve numbers, but the play calling will have to improve as well.

Understand this, JCHS isn't going to tolerate losing streaks and worse yet, losing athletes to other schools just because Oakland was happy with him, they're going to want their own success with him.

Edited by billiard13

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• I have no affiliation with Maryville anymore outside of being a 2nd generation graduate from a large family of Rebel alumni. That relationship ended courtesy of the lame duck AD (a Bearden grad I might add) and the HBIC. That said, I could care less if a private school comes through and offers every promising athlete out of that school or any other school better opportunities.
    • A perfect example is for athletes at Clinton High School. I will completely understand, and hopefully everyone should understand why they want to, and as of right now, it looks like that’s going to happen in numbers over the summer.
    • I mean, that’s easy to say when it hasn’t happened to your school that often, if at all, but yeah, I think everybody should be for the student athlete or player. Whatever they think will help them or their athletic career, I feel like they should be able to do that, even if that means transferring schools. Now I don’t really get that when you have almost every offer you could want and then jump ship, but what can I say? I guess money talks. 
    • I for one am all for it. 
    • Covid killed the city because they chose not to play football in the 2020 season. Therefore, kids weren't able to practice and develop, and continuing to lift weights. Memphis basically had 7/8 graders, skipping a year, then playing 9/10 high school football. Now, there's only one team that has made a "dent" which will be Southwind (made it to the 5A semifinals last year).  If you want to go more suburbs, then it'll be Houston, which won the 6A state title, defeating Oakland Other than that, I agree.