DB Indians vs Knox Karns

ArtVandalay

I really enjoy your work Art, but I disagree with you about this being Graham's best team ever. Memories are short in sports, but the 2000 team was likely better. There won't be a Division I player on this team. The 2000 team had the best TB D-B ever had (Adonis Johnson). They also had D-I starting receiver Chris Henry and NFL starter Gerald Sensabaugh. That team scored over 60 points 3 times. They also dismantled a much better Oak Ridge team than this year's edition 32-6 AT Blankenship. The Defense allowed virtually 6 points per game with the starter's in, and that may be generous. Patrick Ghee started on that team as he does at Wake Forest (another D-I player). The 2000 team had unbelievable speed and would beat the current one because of it. I say all of that with a tip of the cap to the 1998 team that went 13-0 before losing in the semi-finals to a great Oakland team (that won the State the next week 52-20). The '98 team also had multiple college players, two National Champions, and an NFL draft pick on it. Not being ugly mind you, I just disagree.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but having the best one or two players on a team doesn't necessarily make that group the best "team. " We won't be able to compare the 2006 edition of the Tribe to the '98 or 2000 version until the season is over. At that point, we'll know for sure how far these Indians went and that will be the undisputed test of which team was GC's "best." Until then, you've got to appreciate Art's enthusiasm! :thumb:

Good teams get up for the big games, great teams get up for all of them!

Flatten the Beavers!

Roll Tribe!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Indians Team is strong. In every position they have quality depth. That's not common.

3 Offensive Linemen (Starters) will be coming back, either Friday Night, or the next week. That is big for the end of the Regular Season.

Bo Burton just had a spectacular game last week against Sevier County, his best of his career. The last drive was impressive. Tears were streaming down his face in the post game interview, Pride, Team and Heart was all you could see.

The Defense is scary, ask Oak Ridge's O-Line. Sevier County did do something I did not expect any team to do.. .score 2 TD's on the DB D. A slip and fall by a D-Back left a WR uncovered for the easy score. Sevier County is the only team since the Elizabethon Game to have a sustained scoring drive.

The one thing this Team has for sure is great leadership, from a huge class of Seniors!!

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

I'm hearing alot about the DB teams of 98, 00, and this 2006 team. Dont get me wrong all three teams were or are very good. But I think people are forgetting the 96 team. I think they were the best, and started DB's run as a legit state power. Thank back DB fans, no team DB had could match up with this team skill position wise across the board.

I'm hearing alot about the DB teams of 98, 00, and this 2006 team. Dont get me wrong all three teams were or are very good. But I think people are forgetting the 96 team. I think they were the best, and started DB's run as a legit state power. Thank back DB fans, no team DB had could match up with this team skill position wise across the board.

I'm sure they were a great team, but im thinking the reason so many people are talking about this years 06 team is because it's actually 06. Everyone is just fired up about the success of this year's indian football team. Comparing teams is a fun activity, but we're playing in 06, not 96. Im sure in a couple years someone will compare that team to this year's team. Anyways i heard Trevor Salyers will not be participating in the game tomorrow night because of an ankle injury, hopefully he'll be back soon

The '96 team was incredibly talented and brought us one of the great wins ever at J.Fred. Oak Ridge was LOADED that year (3 SEC players) and D-B beat them. However, the '96 group won't get remembered as the best because they were gone after the 2nd round of the playoffs. Fair or not, you can't be counted among the greats and be home before Thanksgiving.

Let's stop comparing these kids to past teams and keep them focused on one game at a time. D-B has a great bunch of team oriented players and a legit shot to finally bring home a gold ball. Appears we are finally over the "D-B Chokes" hump (been this way since the playoff system started in '69 until just a couple seasons ago). We've had several "coulda, woulda, shoulda" teams that caught a bad break or just ran into a Randy Hall, "Littleman" Stewart or Gerald Riggs Jr in the past 25 years. I'm glad Graham has our program back in the spotlight and alot of these kids have been playing together since the Boy's Club days and gel as a team! Good luck Indians!!

Roll Tribe!

Let's stop comparing these kids to past teams and keep them focused on one game at a time. D-B has a great bunch of team oriented players and a legit shot to finally bring home a gold ball. Appears we are finally over the "D-B Chokes" hump (been this way since the playoff system started in '69 until just a couple seasons ago). We've had several "coulda, woulda, shoulda" teams that caught a bad break or just ran into a Randy Hall, "Littleman" Stewart or Gerald Riggs Jr in the past 25 years. I'm glad Graham has our program back in the spotlight and alot of these kids have been playing together since the Boy's Club days and gel as a team! Good luck Indians!!

Roll Tribe!

Exactly :o

Karns is going to come to J. Fred Johnson Stadium and try to beat our Indians. They are big, run the wishbone, and play hard...they want to control the ball, control the clock...eat up yards and eat up time...QB is the leading rusher with 360+ yards...but is only 12-27 passing for 215 yards on the season (fewer attempts, completions, and yards than Bo had last week against Sevier County). We have to put points on the board quickly and tackle soundly.

Happy Homecoming to all the Dobyns-Bennett Indian faithful.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

Let's keep in mind that not comparing this year's team to former teams includes not only abstaining from saying that former teams were just as good or better, but also not saying that this years team is the best ever. It may have seemed that way for a while when they so handily beat OR but now we know that OR is really down this year - more so than we thought. And we know that DB is vunerable but has a never give up attitude (sorta opposite of the choke syndrome).

What we have here is a really excellent, 1st rate team that has a good chance of going to state. Nor more. No less. Actual ability to be determined at end of season after playing their hearts out EVERY game - one game at a time.