McMinn Cherokees

The girl at Cleveland, started at Cleveland. She did not transfer from Walker Valley to Cleveland. If her parents chose to pay tuition for her to attend CHS and not Walker Valley, I think that was their right. She is ending where she started. I think the problem lies with transferring from High School to high school.

The problem, in my opinion, is kids nowadays don't want to put their time in and work. If they don't "start" then they will transfer. Folks need to learn the old saying that the coach don't decide playing time....players do. Out of the girls that transferred from our school, two play for a small single A school that won a total of 3 games last yr. and one rides the pine for a very good AA school. All 3 would be playing significant minutes if they would have stayed put and waited their time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to stay out of these "transfer" discussions but I would like to add this. I have had personal experience with the McMinn Central program and have heard both head coaches tell players from other schools not to transfer. I have seen the women's coach not even give a transfer player a look because of her attitude. This girl would have been the most athletic basketball player East Tennessee has ever seen. Coach Morgan puts and will always put dignity in front of winning. He is the only coach I have ever known who actually puts winning behind developing young adults. I don't know that the same can be said of other coaches in other programs. But I have heard the phone calls, and I have heard the statement, more than once, "If you want my advice, you should just stay where your at. You will appreciate more if you end your career where you started." How many other coaches would say that? I don't know if I would. We could all learn a lot from Coach Morgan.

[/quote

Wow, are you coach Morgans mom or PR agent. He has his warts just like anybody and I have certainly heard negatives from some of his players over the years regarding him. I'm sure overall he is a good person and coach though. Also I think that the McMinn Fires AAU organization may actually provide him with a very good recruting tool, my understanding is that at least a couple of players that should have gone to MHS went to central instead because of input from their (UUUUMMMM) AAU coach.

If I am his PR agent I am getting no compensation. If I am his mom......I need some serious therapy. Does AAU have something to do with players going to certain schools? Anyone who doesn't think so needs to check their head. In most cases I think the talking comes from parents of kids who want their kids to play with certain players. I have been on both sides. I have gained players and lost players. It seems to be the norm that the parents and kids do the talking. I can only speak for the coaches that I have had personal experiences with and I can say that what I said of the head coaches at McMinn Central can be said of the Assistants as well. McMinn Central does recruit. Every time the paper prints another story about a 20 win season. Every time the paper prints a story about a district championship, region championship, and college signee. They cannot help it if kids and parents seek successful programs. Add that to what has always been a classy way of doing things and it makes for a perfect recruiting packet. McMinn Central has the best programs in the area.....of course people will want to play there. Guess I am in the discussion now.

If I am his PR agent I am getting no compensation. If I am his mom......I need some serious therapy. Does AAU have something to do with players going to certain schools? Anyone who doesn't think so needs to check their head. In most cases I think the talking comes from parents of kids who want their kids to play with certain players. I have been on both sides. I have gained players and lost players. It seems to be the norm that the parents and kids do the talking. I can only speak for the coaches that I have had personal experiences with and I can say that what I said of the head coaches at McMinn Central can be said of the Assistants as well. McMinn Central does recruit. Every time the paper prints another story about a 20 win season. Every time the paper prints a story about a district championship, region championship, and college signee. They cannot help it if kids and parents seek successful programs. Add that to what has always been a classy way of doing things and it makes for a perfect recruiting packet. McMinn Central has the best programs in the area.....of course people will want to play there. Guess I am in the discussion now.

:unsure:

To the reference about aau coaching encouraging players to go to Central, the plain truth is if Mcminn basketball was going in a good direction no one would be able to talk anyone into going anywhere but here. People want to go to a winning program where players and parents have confidence in the coach. They also want a coach that demonstrates adult sportsmanship at all times. Playing time does not seem to be the desire because after this year those girls could claim all the playing time they want when we lose our top 6 girls and the other 4 that will take over never get in a game, even to give the starters some short relief.