WRESTLING HALL OF FAME

THEANIMAL

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IS THERE GOING TO BE A TN. WRESTLING HALL OF FAME BANQUET THIS YEAR. I HAVE BE LOOKING ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS TRING TO FIND IT.

WRITE BACK IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING,

THE ANIMAL

Hall of Fame Banquet, October 28, 2006, Cool Springs Marriott, Franklin TN.

Social 6:00, Banquet starts at 7:00.

Class of 2006: Ken "Speedy" Speegle, Frank and Pat Simpson, Brian Dunning, Luthe Killian, Ronnie Carter, and Jeff Jordan.

Kyle Maynard will present the awards.

P.A. Bowler is the contact.

How is former Father Ryan coach Joe Drennan (Godfather of Nashville Wrestling) not in the Hall of Fame? Drennan is responsible for not only building a wrestling power at Father Ryan but he helped launch wrestling in Middle Tennessee. How soon some people forget.

Edited by cbg

WHY HAS THERE BEEN NO INFORMATION OF THE HALL OF FAME BANQUET ON ANY OF THE WRESTLING MESSAGE BOARDS. IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ADVERTIZE A LITTLE FOR SUCH A WORTHY CAUSE. IT HAS PROBABLY BEEN ALL OVER THE PAPERS IN CHATTANOOGA AND NASHVILLE.

PLEASE HELP SPREAD WRESTLING NEWS TO AREAS THAT DON'T GET THE FREE-PRESS.

THE ANIMAL

WHY HAS THERE BEEN NO INFORMATION OF THE HALL OF FAME BANQUET ON ANY OF THE WRESTLING MESSAGE BOARDS. IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ADVERTIZE A LITTLE FOR SUCH A WORTHY CAUSE. IT HAS PROBABLY BEEN ALL OVER THE PAPERS IN CHATTANOOGA AND NASHVILLE.

PLEASE HELP SPREAD WRESTLING NEWS TO AREAS THAT DON'T GET THE FREE-PRESS.

THE ANIMAL

Help may be on the way.

Let's begin with an already announced announcement.

Tennessee's Third National Wrestling Hall of Fame Class will be inducted Oct. 28, 2006, at the Cool Springs Marriott. Social and inductee exhibits begin at 6:00 pm and dinner is 7:00 pm. Tickets are $50 each. Reservations should be sent to:

P. A. Bowler

109 Mansker Park Dr.

Hendersonville, TN 37075

Reservations are strongly recommended as walk ups may not be honored due to the already heavy response and limited seating capacity.

In addition to the seven Life Time Contributor inductees mentioned in earlier posts, there are two others being inducted under special categories: Ralph Brewer, wrestler and coach at TN School for the Blind, and Jeff Loyd, one legged state champ from Clarksville, Olympic sled hockey alternate, among several other accomplishments.

As far as who was and was not selected, Tennessee is in its infancy in recognizing its wrestling pioneers. All previous and current inductees are no-brainers. Are there others who are deserving...you bet. Will we have most of the deserving individuals inducted soon...not by a long shot. Be patient and give us time. Also, give us some information on individuals, especially if you think they are long enough in the past you think we may have forgotten.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but you should know Ronnie Carter started as a wrestling coach at Overton. Like him or not through TSSAA, he has been a huge friend to wrestling, and just rotated off the National Federation Rules Committee.

Coach Drennan was not forgotten, but is not believed to have the minimum time required for Life Time consideration. CBG, do you know how long he coached at Ryan?

One last thing, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame was set up to recognize contribution to the sport and is for contributions AFTER the competitive career is over.

Tennessee's Third National Wrestling Hall of Fame Class will be inducted Oct. 28, 2006, at the Cool Springs Marriott. Social and inductee exhibits begin at 6:00 pm and dinner is 7:00 pm. Tickets are $50 each. Reservations should be sent to:

P. A. Bowler

109 Mansker Park Dr.

Hendersonville, TN 37075

Reservations are strongly recommended as walk ups may not be honored due to the already heavy response and limited seating capacity.

In addition to the seven Life Time Contributor inductees mentioned in earlier posts, there are two others being inducted under special categories: Ralph Brewer, wrestler and coach at TN School for the Blind, and Jeff Loyd, one legged state champ from Clarksville, Olympic sled hockey alternate, among several other accomplishments.

As far as who was and was not selected, Tennessee is in its infancy in recognizing its wrestling pioneers. All previous and current inductees are no-brainers. Are there others who are deserving...you bet. Will we have most of the deserving individuals inducted soon...not by a long shot. Be patient and give us time. Also, give us some information on individuals, especially if you think they are long enough in the past you think we may have forgotten.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but you should know Ronnie Carter started as a wrestling coach at Overton. Like him or not through TSSAA, he has been a huge friend to wrestling, and just rotated off the National Federation Rules Committee.

Coach Drennan was not forgotten, but is not believed to have the minimum time required for Life Time consideration. CBG, do you know how long he coached at Ryan?

One last thing, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame was set up to recognize contribution to the sport and is for contributions AFTER the competitive career is over.

Let's understand one thing first and that is everyone that has been inducted and is being inducted this time around is deserving.

Drennan was a wrestling coach at some capacity for probably fifteen or twenty seasons. Some of those years he served as an assistant coach or coached the freshmen team. Tommy Bateman, Bobby Garmon, former Springfield coach Randy Thomas (you should have Randy introduce Carter so everyone could watch a fight) or Pat Simpson would probably have a good idea.

Don't forget that Drennan still had his hand in wrestling when he had the automobile accident (talk about special circumstances) that later took his life.

Not placing Joe Drennan in the Hall of Fame is like not placing Vince Lombardi in the NFL Hall of Fame because he didn't coach enough years. Is it the number of years that you coach or what you have done when you coached?

Edited by cbg

P. A. Bowler

109 Mansker Park Dr.

Hendersonville, TN 37075

GUESS I AM THE LAST WRESTLING FAN IN TENNESSEE TO GET THE INFORMATION ON THE HALL OF FAME. SORRY YOU HAD TO REPRINT IT JUST FOR ME.

THE ANIMAL

GUESS I AM THE LAST WRESTLING FAN IN TENNESSEE TO GET THE INFORMATION ON THE HALL OF FAME. SORRY YOU HAD TO REPRINT IT JUST FOR ME.

THE ANIMAL

Animal, Don't feel left out. I didn't know either.

CBG, Did you wrestle for Drennan at Ryan? Sounds like a good coach in his day.

I thought Al Posnak was a great coach in his day. Has anyone ever given a thought to him. He had some great teams at Bellevue High and Hillwood High. If I remember right I believe Coach Posnak lead a team from Hillwood to beat one of the great Overton teams when McTorry was wrestling during the 90's. I sure thought he was one of the best in Middle Tennessee.

Edited by takedown42