best coach ever at your school

getright

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeneville High School - Fred Sorrells. He taught the game. He expected his players to play with class. He was respected by everyone - even the officials. The kids wanted to play for him. He always wanted to make us better. He and his staff coached were great teachers and better people. Here's to you, Coach!

Fred not only respected his players, but he also respected his assistant Coaches. The entire coaching staff (along with their families) would gather in the field hose after each and every home game for supper. This promoted a family-like atmosphere and made coaches want to coach with him. He also looked after the middle school staff. They ran the same offensive package that the high school did, which strenghtened the entire program.

I would put in a vote for Jack Armstrong, Oak Ridge 1955 to 1968. State Championships in 1956, 58, 61, 62 and a National Championship in 1958. Jack learned under General Neyland at UT in 1946...

Also, one for Emory Hale, Oak Ridge 1969 to 1980. 3 State Championships, 1975, 79 and 80. Can't let this one go without mentioning great assistant coaches Chick Graning and Paul Brewster.

Others that come to mind, and I am only familiar with East Tennessee, Ted Wilson (Maryville and Kingsport DB), Benny Monroe (McMinn Co, Cleveland and Ooltewah) Red Etter (Chattanooga Central and Baylor) Ones in Middle Tennessee that I would mention are Calvin Short (Gallatin) and Carlton Flatt (Brentwood Academy)

And I got to mention the best Defensive Coach, Bruce Lussier!!! Graning was the best Offensive Coach....