A/AA Regions

BigG

Since we aren't putting opinions in the pinned topic, I thought we might start a seperate one for that.

Coniglio, I saw that CCS is going to play Sweetwater. It is a shame that one of them has to be knocked off this early. Do you think that Sweetwater has a chance? They have had a pretty good run this year.

Also, is the Chattanoogan going to fill out any of the brackets? That would really help in our contest.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we aren't putting opinions in the pinned topic, I thought we might start a seperate one for that.

Coniglio, I saw that CCS is going to play Sweetwater. It is a shame that one of them has to be knocked off this early. Do you think that Sweetwater has a chance? They have had a pretty good run this year.

Also, is the Chattanoogan going to fill out any of the brackets? That would really help in our contest.

I think that Sweetwater will have an edge vs CCS. Sweetwater has come off a convincing win vs Grace (5-2) and they will host CCS who has had trouble scoring this year vs good teams. Both teams have talent but playing at home I thing will make the difference. Should be a good game!

:D

SWEETWATER IS PLAYING STRONGER NOW AS A TEAM, AND WITH MANY PLAYERS BEING ABLE TO PUT IT IN THE NET THERE GOING TO BE HARD TO BEAT.

Im gonna have to go with FRA PULLING off another one. Notre Dame beat them earlier in preseason, but coach McDonald is one of the best coaches in the state and didnt go down there to win, but to see what the teams down there got, and for experience with the yunger girls

I'd love to see a 3 way double elimination with FRA, ND, and CAK! I'm sure there are some dark horses out there...and 1 might slip into a championship, but I think these 3 are separated from the others right now!

That would be a fun weekend tournament to watch!

I'd love to see a 3 way double elimination with FRA, ND, and CAK! I'm sure there are some dark horses out there...and 1 might slip into a championship, but I think these 3 are separated from the others right now!

That would be a fun weekend tournament to watch!

FRA, ND, and CAK. All private schools. This will undoubtably be the 5th straight year for a private school to win A/AA.

Small public schools are shut out of the possibility of an A/AA State championship due to the concentration of good soccer players in the private schools, relative to size.

Good players concentrate in the private schools because of the socioeconomics of competitive soccer.

Large public schools in urban areas can compete with these privates based on shear numbers, but not the smaller schools. Not any more. And of course the large publics do not play the privates in the State tourney due to absolute size requirements for classification.

Smaller publics can have 1 or 2 really outstanding players (e.g. Sweetwater with Morgan Gruenfelder and Melissa Morris who, along with Laura Novacoff might be the best A/AA players in the State) but not as deep a supporting cast.

Food for thought. Is this fair or right? Is this good for TN soccer?

FRA, ND, and CAK. All private schools. This will undoubtably be the 5th straight year for a private school to win A/AA.

Small public schools are shut out of the possibility of an A/AA State championship due to the concentration of good soccer players in the private schools, relative to size.

Good players concentrate in the private schools because of the socioeconomics of competitive soccer.

Large public schools in urban areas can compete with these privates based on shear numbers, but not the smaller schools. Not any more. And of course the large publics do not play the privates in the State tourney due to absolute size requirements for classification.

Smaller publics can have 1 or 2 really outstanding players (e.g. Sweetwater with Morgan Gruenfelder and Melissa Morris who, along with Laura Novacoff might be the best A/AA players in the State) but not as deep a supporting cast.

Food for thought. Is this fair or right? Is this good for TN soccer?

While this is a great topic, and I think fun to debate, it will probably be moved to the public/private debate forum if it continues. You might want to start a thread there (although most of those are referring to football, it would be nice to have one about soccer!)

i understand where you are coming from. but some smaller private schools have feeder middle schools that "feed" them students. some teams have players that have been going to school together for a very long time; some since kindergarten and pre-school. most students that go to a feeder middle school generally choose the high school that most of their friends are going to. sometimes it is a luck of the draw if an incoming class has alot of talent.