Volunteer vs. Cherokee

falconfootbal15

Thanks statman. That's how I saw it. I'm a Cherokee fan so I couldn't say it without sounding like a whiner. Take nothing away from Volunteer. They played well and deserved to win that night. But, the Chiefs players said the refs were also on them for nit-picky things that we didn't see flags for (e.g. pants too short). C'mon, with a big game on the line, was this and the "touch fouls" they called necessary to keep the game in-check? Cherokee shot themselves in the foot enough to lose it on their own. The refs just erased any possibility to overcome mistakes. The Chiefs stayed with Mo. West, losing because only 3 big plays. At Volunteer, the refs wrongly erased at least that number of big ones for Cherokee that could have made it closer and much more fun to watch. As it turned out, the boys in red were robbed of any chance and it really stole a satisfying victory from the Eagles. I mean, a win is always good, but its much sweeter if you win it outright, on your own.

One more thing - did anyone else count 5 downs on Volunteer's missed field goal series?

Officiating was tight both ways because the officials were trying to keep it from getting turned into a brawl. Volunteer was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct once I know of and I actually think there were two calls, also one or two late hits and a very slight interference call.

When they throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct on your own goal line it is usually not a good idea to cuss an official or to pick up his flag and toss it in the air. You probably shouldn't bounce the ball off the goal posts while the officials sort out who gets ejected. Your coach shouldn't stand on the 10 yard line acting like he is part of the chain crew, this was not penalized they only made him move back to the 25 yard line.

An illegal block is always an illegal block. Are the refs supposed to let that go because the game would be closer and more exciting?

Cherokee had first and goal from the one yard line and didn't score, turning the ball over on downs to Volunteer at the 26 yard line due to two big sacks. Cherokee had the ball on their first possesion at the Volunteer 15 yard line and didn't score.

Cherokee had every oppurtunity to score and could not get it done. They were not "robbed". They got beat. Get over it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officiating was tight both ways because the officials were trying to keep it from getting turned into a brawl. Volunteer was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct once I know of and I actually think there were two calls, also one or two late hits and a very slight interference call.

When they throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct on your own goal line it is usually not a good idea to cuss an official or to pick up his flag and toss it in the air. You probably shouldn't bounce the ball off the goal posts while the officials sort out who gets ejected. Your coach shouldn't stand on the 10 yard line acting like he is part of the chain crew, this was not penalized they only made him move back to the 25 yard line.

An illegal block is always an illegal block. Are the refs supposed to let that go because the game would be closer and more exciting?

Cherokee had first and goal from the one yard line and didn't score, turning the ball over on downs to Volunteer at the 26 yard line due to two big sacks. Cherokee had the ball on their first possesion at the Volunteer 15 yard line and didn't score.

Cherokee had every oppurtunity to score and could not get it done. They were not "robbed". They got beat. Get over it.

This is exactly my point from before. These examples you site came at the very end when the game was decided. These late penalties by Cherokee were the culmination of a night full of frustrations over nit picky calls. It certainly got out of hand and that was seemingly what the refs were trying to avoid. They, however, unwittingly caused it in the first place.

With all that said, my gripe is with missing out on watching what should have been a great game. Cherokee lost and would have lost anyway due to a great defensive skeem by Volunteer, very strong running game from 32 coupled with costly Cherokee mistakes.

What do you think these young men will remember about that game through the years. The effort they gave? The missed opportunities? The big hit? That dropped pass, fumbled ball, etc.... Or are they going to remember having their hands tied during the biggest game of their senior year?

I just think it's very unfortunate how it came down!

How did North get drug into this, i'm a North fan.But if you read all my posts in other threads, ive supported and encouraged Volunteer the whole way...Yes North beat Volunteer,at the time they were better.Things are different now and Volunteer has learned what North has been needing to learn.The big difference is Volunteers program is on the way up and Norths is on the way down.If you take the 8th graders out of the enrollment North has 2a numbers.Both schools are alot alike and have been for years and both has under achieved.I want 2 see both schools do well and will be supporting Volunteers run, i say run because i believe they will beat Tenn. High. If you read my posts in the Volunteer Falcons thread you will see how and why.This team dont need stupid distractions now, they shouldnt just be happy makeing it. Reach your full potential anything else should not be satisfactory...They have a chance to take Volunteer to a level that they have never experienced in there history.There very much capable of doing so and that should be the total focus and only disscussion around this team. Not a bunch of jibberish or distractions, they dont even need to waste there breath on defending there position, there play has spoke for itself.And i would really like to see them stay away from the garbage and focus and succeed on what could be something special 4 them.Right now they still havent really done anything but have a good year, dont be a team just satisfied with getting there focus and take this thing as far as you can go with it. You win a playoff game or two and you will change the face of the program for years to come. Prove its no fluke and you can start a tradition here and now,following classes will work harder and believe.I promise you it will make a difference and this group will always know they were the ones who started it all. Go in and lose and you really dont change nothing, make a statement and start it now.I stand firm in my belief you guys will beat Tenn. High with that right attitude and gameplan!!!!!

I didn't see anybody throw any forks. Also, nice class volunteer while one of our players were down you all didn't have enough respect to keep quiet like we did for you when your player was down. Also, as for the bottles, I saw volunteer kids throw bottles and footballs at our kids who were standing up infront of the student section. Obviously our kids shouldn't have thrown them back, but volunteer threw everything first. I guess that's what happens when you finally win a game against cherokee. They don't know how to act because they've never been there before. oh, and nice job to the volunteer students for attempting to spraypaint the cherokee school wednesday night.

Keep whining bud. We'll get ya next year too. Maybe this will start a brand new era in Volunteer vs. Cherokee football.

This is exactly my point from before. These examples you site came at the very end when the game was decided. These late penalties by Cherokee were the culmination of a night full of frustrations over nit picky calls. It certainly got out of hand and that was seemingly what the refs were trying to avoid. They, however, unwittingly caused it in the first place.

With all that said, my gripe is with missing out on watching what should have been a great game. Cherokee lost and would have lost anyway due to a great defensive skeem by Volunteer, very strong running game from 32 coupled with costly Cherokee mistakes.

What do you think these young men will remember about that game through the years. The effort they gave? The missed opportunities? The big hit? That dropped pass, fumbled ball, etc.... Or are they going to remember having their hands tied during the biggest game of their senior year?

I just think it's very unfortunate how it came down!

Couldn't have said it better. But, you're wasting your time on these guys. They're not listening to your point. However, I've talked to several Volunteer fans that agree with you. Even though they enjoyed the win, they wanted to see an even game. They agree that its just not as satifying to beat a team with no opportunity to give you a challenge - even if it is a big rival.

As I said before, "congrats Volunteer". You're having a good year and we'd like to see a Hawkins Co. team go far in the playoffs. Our beef is not with you - its with the striped team that went astray. But, its over and done. Time to move on.