Volunteer vs. Cherokee

falconfootbal15

But they did. Volunteer's program is not on par with North's. If Volunteer is a playoff team, then North should join the 5 Rivers Conference.

OK, I'm not a Falcon fan but let's look at this past season. Volunteer had a better record against true class 4A opponents than North (Vol 5-3, North 4-3), a better record, if you want to call it that, against true class 3A opponents than North (Vol 0-2, North 0-3), total points scored and allowed were pretty much even (Vol 180-245, North 170-246) and the overall record is close (Vol 5-5, North 4-6). Looks to me like Volunteer is on even a even par with North.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm not a Falcon fan but let's look at this past season. Volunteer had a better record against true class 4A opponents than North (Vol 5-3, North 4-3), a better record, if you want to call it that, against true class 3A opponents than North (Vol 0-2, North 0-3), total points scored and allowed were pretty much even (Vol 180-245, North 170-246) and the overall record is close (Vol 5-5, North 4-6). Looks to me like Volunteer is on even a even par with North.

You sure know alot about the Falcons to not be a "Falcon Fan". Bottom line... North beat Volunteer. North beats Volunteer most every year. You ssem to have all the stats, look at the history of wins and losses between the schools. One year does not a program make. And by the way, what do you classify as "true" 4A opponents.

Edited by kcscoop

This is a Volunteer - Cherokee thread. Nothing to do with North.

Great win last night. I expected a much closer game but the Falcon defense stepped it up and pitched a shutout. I was disappointed to hear of the vandalism at Cherokee from Volunteer students and also disappointed to see the poor sportsmanship from the Cherokee players and student section. It goes both ways so I ain't pointing fingers, I just think you need to leave it on the field and not take it to vandalism, fighting, late hits, personal fouls. Part of the stuff on the field I can understand because of the emotions of the game but the throwing bottles and even a fork was poor class.

This is a Volunteer - Cherokee thread. Nothing to do with North.

Great win last night. I expected a much closer game but the Falcon defense stepped it up and pitched a shutout. I was disappointed to hear of the vandalism at Cherokee from Volunteer students and also disappointed to see the poor sportsmanship from the Cherokee players and student section. It goes both ways so I ain't pointing fingers, I just think you need to leave it on the field and not take it to vandalism, fighting, late hits, personal fouls. Part of the stuff on the field I can understand because of the emotions of the game but the throwing bottles and even a fork was poor class.

Sombody threw a fork ! Man that is poor class. Do you know if it was a stainless steel fork or one of those cheap plastic ones?

Sombody threw a fork ! Man that is poor class. Do you know if it was a stainless steel fork or one of those cheap plastic ones?

I think they probably stole it from El Portillo ( the Mexican joint near the school ).

It got ugly in the parking lot, too. The fork wasn't as bad as those half full Mountain Dew bottles. We may have to sell all drinks in paper cups next year! :justwrestle:

Are you gonna brave the monsoon at Spurrier Field tonight? ( I hate to even mention that name...Spurrier ).

You sure know alot about the Falcons to not be a "Falcon Fan". Bottom line... North beat Volunteer. North beats Volunteer most every year. You ssem to have all the stats, look at the history of wins and losses between the schools. One year does not a program make. And by the way, what do you classify as "true" 4A opponents.

I assumed this year since Volunteer made the playoffs. 'True' 4A schools are those actually classified as 4A as opposed to 3A schools playing up at the 4A level.

Congrats again to the Falcons and good luck next week against South or TN!

This was an ugly game to watch. It was obvious that the striped crew was well aware of the rivalry and the importance of the game. They were admirably determined to not let the game get out of hand. However, in doiing so, they took the game completely out of the player's hands. And in their efforts to keep the game under control with their yellow flags, they accomplished the exact opposite. The personal foul and unsportsmanlike flags for small (if any) infractions just frstrated the players further leading to more flags. What they set out to keep from happening, they ultimately contributed to.....Just let them play and we get a wonderful game to watch. As it is, i got jipped my gate money.

But they did. Volunteer's program is not on par with North's. If Volunteer is a playoff team, then North should join the 5 Rivers Conference.

I agree that Volunteer's program is (present tense) not on par with Norths...Volunteer is MUCH BETTER. Later in the season, Volunteer got things going. I'm sure that the 63-0 was due to injuires, though?

I haven't checked the standings. Can someone tell me if North made the playoffs? :blink:

I agree that Volunteer's program is (present tense) not on par with Norths...Volunteer is MUCH BETTER. Later in the season, Volunteer got things going. I'm sure that the 63-0 was due to injuires, though?

I haven't checked the standings. Can someone tell me if North made the playoffs? :thumb:

No, they are done til next season. And we have a very tough game this Friday at Bristol since MoEast beat Boone ( 28-7 ).

This was an ugly game to watch. It was obvious that the striped crew was well aware of the rivalry and the importance of the game. They were admirably determined to not let the game get out of hand. However, in doiing so, they took the game completely out of the player's hands. And in their efforts to keep the game under control with their yellow flags, they accomplished the exact opposite. The personal foul and unsportsmanlike flags for small (if any) infractions just frstrated the players further leading to more flags. What they set out to keep from happening, they ultimately contributed to.....Just let them play and we get a wonderful game to watch. As it is, i got jipped my gate money.

Thanks statman. That's how I saw it. I'm a Cherokee fan so I couldn't say it without sounding like a whiner. Take nothing away from Volunteer. They played well and deserved to win that night. But, the Chiefs players said the refs were also on them for nit-picky things that we didn't see flags for (e.g. pants too short). C'mon, with a big game on the line, was this and the "touch fouls" they called necessary to keep the game in-check? Cherokee shot themselves in the foot enough to lose it on their own. The refs just erased any possibility to overcome mistakes. The Chiefs stayed with Mo. West, losing because only 3 big plays. At Volunteer, the refs wrongly erased at least that number of big ones for Cherokee that could have made it closer and much more fun to watch. As it turned out, the boys in red were robbed of any chance and it really stole a satisfying victory from the Eagles. I mean, a win is always good, but its much sweeter if you win it outright, on your own.

One more thing - did anyone else count 5 downs on Volunteer's missed field goal series?