Knoxville Halls

fairplay2121

this is a class we're talking about here, not before or after school workouts. inexcusable

OOOOOHHhHH I am sorry maybe they should have made a MOON PIE class.....

I think people should keep

their nose out of THEIR business. Period....Unless your Julian or Cooper then you really don't know NOTHING

Dawging on Julian or Cooper other than fun is NOT COOL. so HaveItYourWay...go to Burger King.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redandblack63----How many high school football players workout on the day of a Friday night game? I'm not at all making any waiver toward allowing kids to miss class work. I just wonder if Coach Julian would want his Starting QB maxing out on The Friday just before the Maryville, Powell, Central, or any game? Sometimes we forget what we've been asking kids that might only be for our benefit. There is a slight difference in an English and Math class compared to a weight class. I guess the coach would never work on game plan or football stuff during his weight class would he. I can also imagine the workout being somewhat geared toward football.

FWIW

I certainly don't pretend to know all the issues in play, but I can tell you that over the last 2 yrs, I have seen this scenario play out more frequently on numerous occasions in many highschools. I don't know what the root cause is at Halls, but in other places, young athletes being "forced" to specialize in one sport earlier and earlier in their athletic career is one.

The coach naturally wants to win, and wants the best player(s), That player is sometimes one of the best athletes at the school. The coach tells the player, and often the parents that "you/your child has the potential to play at the next level, but you will have to focus only on this sport because your competition is." That may or may not be true for the athlete, but it is for the coach. Externally, the coach competes for wins, and to get the best to his program. Internally for budget $'s.

Ten or twelve yrs ago, the kid heard that around the begining of the Soph yr. Today the kid hears it from the coach at Tarrelton or the Yard, Thunder, Jr. Pro, etc, from the age of 11 or 12 (6th, 7th grade). The kid's parents hear it too, and so the kid hears it from the parents. Focus on this, get a scholarship, education, drafted, etc. The kid get's tired of hearing it and or complies with the wishes of others.

The system does not allow for coaches to share great athletes. The lure of $s, scholarships, wearing Underarmor for this team or that, is too great. We have very few if any 3 sport players. Aaron Douglas is a rare case in that he is an All Star in two sports. Ten or twelve yrs ago, he could have been a heck of a pitcher or 1B. We'll never know, and lot's of other kids won't know because they were forced to decide too early. So what?

The "so what" is that there are kids that don't learn that on some teams or in some groups, you will follow, some you will lead, and in some you will do both. "I will only attempt what I know I will succeed at or I will only attempt what I have been told I will succeed at" is a timid way to go through life. I'm all for pushing coaches, players, organizations to levels of success that are beyond what they believed were possible. Having said that, those levels of success are more often than not achieved by those that have the opportunity to succeed on the field of their choice, and are motivated from within.

I remember watching a few of them freshmen games last year before the jv played, they had quite a bit of tallent. I couldn't tell you any names or anything though. They rotated 5 or 6 running backs into the games it seemed, some of which had better vision than others it appeared, but overall the RBs were all pretty good. They had quite a few kids that would come up from the secondary looking to lay a lick on whomever had the ball. They had one wide receiver that every time he touched it seemed like he scored. In the games I saw there wasn't anyone running the ball on them and there secondary played man it seemed like every play. There was a few times the secondary got beat if I'm remembering correctly, but that's going to happen at any level just about. I'd say there's probably 2 or 3 of those kids in the secondary that will either find their way into the starting lineup or will be on special teams or 2nd on depth chart. They appeared to be fairly tallented. While we're talking about freshmen, any news on what the upcoming freshmen class is going to look like? Any definite forseeable varsity stars or anything like that? If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that they were Knox County champs or perhaps 2nd, can't remember exactly.

Every year the Halls Freshmen team has big numbers and do very well. Yet that does not show in the next level at the varsity. They have to find a way to keep all those kids out, and get the athletes playing. Sharing athletes is key to schools having success in sports. Fulton has done one of the better jobs of coaches working together and building together.