Best Coaches?

takedown42

Fatkat's ID of Joe Drennan (1960s/early 1970s) as one of the great coaches is right on target. Not only was he the first to move a State Championship out of Chattanooga (more than once), his dual teams were untouchable in Middle Tennessee. He left a legacy for Ryan which was continued by Bob Garmon who succeeded him, and by Pat Simpson who succeeded Bob, both of whom have claimed State Championships. Joe set the standard for the aspirations of the entire Middle Tennessee wrestling community.

Ralph Brewer (1960s/Early 1970s) was a comtemporary of Joe Drennan. He coached at the Tennessee School for the Blind. His competitive intensity, his teams' work ethics, his unwaiveringly high expectations for his athletes, his knowledge of the sport, all combined to produce some of the most highly skilled wrestlers of their day and, also, to produce some of the most highly contested and colorful matches in Tennessee Wrestling history. In addition to being a great wrestling coach, he was also a great teacher of other wrestling coaches. Several of the early coaches in Middle Tennessee started under his guidance. Ralph, himself, was a Tennessee State Champion from TSB under yet another great coach, Moe Harrelson.

John Farr, whose Red Bank successes are documented in the TSSAA archives, was in the forefront of wrestling's early expansion on the state level. His love of the sport and his vision for the sport were a part of the foundation from which our sport has evolved in Tennessee. Not only was he a great coach, he was a Mover and a Shaker.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every wrestling coach in the state is a great coach, to get kids out and away from basketball, to get your schools to support a sport that does not get a lot of recognition nationally, to spend hours in practice and even more hours at tournaments, speaks highly of the dedication of our coaches to our sport. I know some programs have a lot more success than others, but by being out their we give kids a chance to compete that might not have ever gotten that opportunity. I think we all need to ban together to promote our sport, support each other, and leave the bantering and petty differences off the mat.

Jeff Jordan (Franklin/Clarksville)..Has been mentioned but is the greatest in my mind. Especially what he did at Clarksville. He took less than average athletes and built a championship program from a toilet bowl program. Not to mention that he did not have the luxuries that Bradley, Cleveland, Soddy, etc. have by getting kids that walk in their rooms already knowing how to wrestle. Exceptional motivator. Great man and coach.

Johnny Masters (Kenwood)..Took a brand new program and made it into a contender in no time. Did all of the coaching back when Northeast was good when he was an assistant there. Loves the sport and kids.

Tommy Badon..(Dickson) Another coach who gets a lot out of kids who are not blessed with athleticism. Seems to be great with kids.

Hey - I agree with you about Jeff Jordan. I think he is number one in character and talent. I truly hated to see someone so talented retire. The new coach at Clarksville high has done a pretty good job.

You are right about Masters, he knows how to get the best out of his boys too.

Badon, well, I look for him to regroup and surprise us all this year, or next.

It is my understanding that Coach Badon has lost a Significant number of wrestlers to the new HS that opened in Dickson Co, Creek Wood HS.

Matt Proctor told me personally that had the new school opened a Year earlier, he would have had to go there, since he lives in Charlotte/White Bluff (can't remember which).

Something to think/talk about.........

In my opinion one of the top 5 coaches in the state is Al Miller, veteran coach at Cleveland HS. Al remains not only a student of the sport, but he is maybe our state's formost ambassador. He has taken teams on several international trips; he has worked at World Championships and the Olympics. He did a great job announcing the Nat'l Jr World's last spring in Chattanooga. A good clinician, who, if he had the talent in his room that some have each year, would have several state titles at Cleveland.

I like Brad Jackson from East Ridge. He is a classy and friendly guy whose team is (I think) often overlooked because he is in the teeth of the best competition year in and year out. He is a blue collar guy with blue collar kids, and his teams are always competitive. I also think that Tommy Badon has done a good job everywhere he's been.

There are coaches all over the state who do a good job in limited situations with limited resources. We need to get a few of them in here too. ;)

Chattanooga area should be proud of all of their great coaches. I agree Brad Jackson is a class act and a great role model. I also think Jim Morgan should also be included in this list, he is a great advocate of the sport, and I would like to thank him for running the state tournament every year. Both these coaches are great for our sport !