Henry County vs Melrose

SO you want Maryville and Hillsboro to lose..... :lol: Why not beat the best to achieve a goal? Wouldn't that make it more special?

I too am surprised TraderB at the amount of points Melrose game up. Congrats Henry County on the win..... :thumb:

MLREB - don't know who bellgo is but I would bet that most Patriot fans do not feel the same way. I would much rather play Hillsboro and Maryville. Getting to play Melrose at Orange Mound was great! Now the next one is back at Patriot Staduim! Sounds like the Maryville Red Bank game is going to be a great one. Good luck and I hope to see you guys on the field!!!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TraderB,

First off I want to say what an OUTSTANDING place Orange Mound was to play the greatest game. The atmosphere was superb and the play on the field even better. Sure there was an aroma of wacky weed and some drinking in the stands, but good sportsmanship was shown and all of the "rowdy" key shakers were the first to come shake our hand and say great game. Some of the finest hospitality in the state!

I can tell you that as a Patriot fan, I was just as shocked that we racked up as much ground yardage as we did. I originally thought it would take much more passing to beat Melrose, much less hang 35 points on them. We did very little passing and just ran the ball up the gut all night long. Our big #34 had 180 yds rushing while our QB #1 had 137 yds rushing. We did have some key pass receptions at crucial times, but our running attack was phenomenal! Please don't take this as gloating, but when was the last time that Melrose had 35 points scored on them?

On the defensive side of the ball, we actually played a good game. Being up 29-14 in the 4th quarter was impressive. But couple of LONG pass receptions that were made and a punt return jumped the score to 35-28 late in the game. The Melrose players NEVER gave up. I was very impressed. They kept fighting and clawing to the bitter end.

It was a great football game through and through. My hats off to both teams for giving their fans an awesome game to see.

Go Patriots, Beat Fairley!!!

I agree with you 100%. Melrose didn't have any kind of running game. When Cooper left, he left a huge hole in their offense that hasn't been filled. It came down to HC's running vs. Melrose's passing. This was an awesome game, I am just glad I was there to be a part of it, and it doesn't hurt matters that we one either. :thumb: Toney is going to be a phenomenal QB by his senior year, maybe sooner. The entire Patriots team did an awesome job!!!

You know what this means..... IT"S YANKER TIME BACK IN HENRY COUNTY!!!! After watching your Cougars fall the last two years to Melrose, I wish you could have been there last night Yanker. See ya next week.

Volunteer[/url'>General' post='826244267' date='Nov 10 2006 - 10:26 PM']

HEY HEY!!!! Way to go Patriots! ;)

I`m betting that the first person that shook a set of keys toward 77Mom got tossed over the back side of the stands and that set the tone for the rest of the game. :thumb:

For real though....I`m so happy you guys went down there and got the job done. Keep that Red Train rolling!

:D Yeahhhhhhhh Baby! I just got some keys out & started shaking them right back at them! I couldn't keep my word that I would be quiet at this game. Sue me, lol. It was the most awesomeeeeee thang! Both teams played a good game.

The Orange Mound I found to be a dump! The Melrose fans in our stands were just stupid, pot smoking butt heads that peeed me off. Yes, I did get fired up & started yelling back at them. :)

I didn't go back to the stands after half time, I walked up & down the sidelines running to the end zone as we would get closer. Have to say I was the only HC person down there, but that didn't bother me. A few looks was given but I did tell some I wasn't down there to disrespect I was just there to watch. Well, cheer just a little too. No I wasn't WELCOMED but I could have cared less.

I CAN NOT BE ANY PROUDER OF "MY BOYS"!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSHHH OUR O-LINE WAS MASSIVE!

Yes, I did go down after this game & shake some of the Melrose player's hands. #53 was one of them. He was a VERY POLITE young man! EVERY ONE OF THEM THAT "I" SPOKE TO WAS VERY NICE!!!!! GREAT SPORTSMANSHIP SHOWN MY MELROSE PLAYERS!!!!!!

I do believe I stated that the "Orange Mound" was going to be "RED" & THE PATRIOTS DID JUST THAT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~Rollem RED Rollem!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TraderB,

First off I want to say what an OUTSTANDING place Orange Mound was to play the greatest game. The atmosphere was superb and the play on the field even better. Sure there was an aroma of wacky weed and some drinking in the stands, but good sportsmanship was shown and all of the "rowdy" key shakers were the first to come shake our hand and say great game. Some of the finest hospitality in the state!

I can tell you that as a Patriot fan, I was just as shocked that we racked up as much ground yardage as we did. I originally thought it would take much more passing to beat Melrose, much less hang 35 points on them. We did very little passing and just ran the ball up the gut all night long. Our big #34 had 180 yds rushing while our QB #1 had 137 yds rushing. We did have some key pass receptions at crucial times, but our running attack was phenomenal! Please don't take this as gloating, but when was the last time that Melrose had 35 points scored on them?

On the defensive side of the ball, we actually played a good game. Being up 29-14 in the 4th quarter was impressive. But couple of LONG pass receptions that were made and a punt return jumped the score to 35-28 late in the game. The Melrose players NEVER gave up. I was very impressed. They kept fighting and clawing to the bitter end.

It was a great football game through and through. My hats off to both teams for giving their fans an awesome game to see.

Go Patriots, Beat Fairley!!!

Drewcephus,

Thanks for the recap.

Looks like ya'll played an awesome game, last night. Great job, Henry County. Ya'll went to the 'Mound and accomplished several things that not very many teams have been able to do, vs Melrose:

#1) Beat Melrose, AT Melrose.

2) Roll up 300 + yard RUSHING!

3) Put up 35 pts.

Wow--those are some impressive feats by Henry County!

Drewcephus, No--your mention of HCs 35pts scored did NOT come across as bragging, not at all. It's actually it's a very valid question.

A quick check of CoachT archives reveals that it was way back in 2001 that someone actually hung 35 pts (49) points on a Melrose team, and that occured on the road! Who knows how much longer its been since a team did that to Melrose in the 'Mound!

Again, excellent job by your team last night. It was one for the History books, to be sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck the rest of the playoffs.... Of course, you know I'm pulling for fellow Memphis team, Fairley. :)

Drewcephus,

Thanks for the recap.

Looks like ya'll played an awesome game, last night. Great job, Henry County. Ya'll went to the 'Mound and accomplished several things that not very many teams have been able to do, vs Melrose:

3) Put up 35 pts.

Drewcephus, No--your mention of HCs 35pts scored did NOT come across as bragging, not at all. It's actually it's a very valid question.

A quick check of CoachT archives reveals that it was way back in 2001 that someone actually hung 35 pts (49) points on a Melrose team, and that occured on the road! Who knows how much longer its been since a team did that to Melrose in the 'Mound!

Again, excellent job by your team last night. It was one for the History books, to be sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck the rest of the playoffs.... Of course, you know I'm pulling for fellow Memphis team, Fairley. :)

That's ok, after we beat Fairley, then you can root for your fellow west tenn. team, the Henry County Patriots.

thanks advisor on the complement. trader b it was just a hard fought game on both sides of the ball. we had 2 fumbles , we could not run the ball so my hats off to henry county. by the way i am at work eating crow! mom 77 i spoke with your son last night i would have loved to introduced my self to you . i will be up there friday night got directions from your sheriff last night. as for the coach he did a great job people just wanted to see more points put on the board this eason. we had no running game what so ever eric watson at cbhs was supposed to be the back he worked out this summer with the team. # 7 antonio harper is the best back we have they felt he was more of a asset on defense. FSU offered him last week. good game from qb, rb, and i think # 6 or 11 the de or lb h he agreat game.represent WEST TN. lets go patriots.

thanks advisor on the complement. trader b it was just a hard fought game on both sides of the ball. we had 2 fumbles , we could not run the ball so my hats off to henry county. by the way i am at work eating crow! mom 77 i spoke with your son last night i would have loved to introduced my self to you . i will be up there friday night got directions from your sheriff last night. as for the coach he did a great job people just wanted to see more points put on the board this eason. we had no running game what so ever eric watson at cbhs was supposed to be the back he worked out this summer with the team. # 7 antonio harper is the best back we have they felt he was more of a asset on defense. FSU offered him last week. good game from qb, rb, and i think # 6 or 11 the de or lb h he agreat game.represent WEST TN. lets go patriots.

OMN,

Thanks for the info. on the game.....Melrose had an very solid year. I betcha' there are a whole lot of teams that would gladly take a 10-2 record, during a rebuilding season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the RB situation...Woah, I didn't know that about RB Watson! Man, Melrose sure could have used him in the backfield this year. No disrespect to the Current RB (I can't remember his name), but he severely lacks the attributes needed to be a game-changing type back. This is especially crucial, given the OLs weakness in run-blocking.

As for the new Coach...Without question, he probably has the toughest HS Coaching job in town--Melrose! It's basically State Championship or Bust! Anything less is a miserable failure! Sure, I agree that his Melrose team underachieved this year, on the offensive side of the ball. Yet, they still managed to win all but 2 of their games, during this "rebuilding" season. Hey--that ain't too shabby, in my book...

Melrose's Coach should be given a "pass," IMO. You can't always win them all.

Oddly enough, in Melrose's loss to Henry County, the OFFENSE appears to have done its job (passing anyway). They scored enough points, for sure. It was Melrose's SHOCKING (normally stout, especially vs the run) defensive collapse that contributed moreso to its loss!

All in all, OMN, Melrose's history of gridiron succes has definitely spoiled its fans (heck, they even spoiled me). They don't know or care about "rebuilding." All they know is ...we're going the 'Ship, and you'd better hurry up and win one of 'em, too....OR ELSE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMN, what do things look like for next year's squad? How many returning starters.....Another State Title run, perhaps?

Drewcephus,

Thanks for the recap.

3) Put up 35 pts.

Good luck the rest of the playoffs.... Of course, you know I'm pulling for fellow Memphis team, Fairley. :rolleyes:

TraderB, You called it earlier this year and you were right. I really wanted to keep hope alive but this Melrose team could not overcome their youth, player loss to graduation, coaching changes, and fighting off the bullseye that comes with being a Melrose team.Henry County brought a good team to the Mound

I have not seen the game yet, but forom my brother's and other's eyewitness accounts, Henry County just plain beat us. Period. Once agin, hats off to Henry County for a well deserved victory.

Since My beloved golden wildcats now officially spectators, on the Tennessee front, I will focus on the rest of the playoffs and remember how great this time of year is. Foutunately, my son's team here in Texas is in the playoffs for the first time and I can get to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

TraderB, You called it earlier this year and you were right. I really wanted to keep hope alive but this Melrose team could not overcome their youth, player loss to graduation, coaching changes, and fighting off the bullseye that comes with being a Melrose team.Henry County brought a good team to the Mound

I have not seen the game yet, but forom my brother's and other's eyewitness accounts, Henry County just plain beat us. Period. Once agin, hats off to Henry County for a well deserved victory.

Since My beloved golden wildcats now officially spectators, on the Tennessee front, I will focus on the rest of the playoffs and remember how great this time of year is. Foutunately, my son's team here in Texas is in the playoffs for the first time and I can get to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

OMW,

My early-season prognosis (that Melrose would not make it back to the State Title game, this year) was one of those predictions that I HOPED never came true! I hoped beyond all hope--cause I absolutely enjoy watching Melrose play football. They're always a very exciting team, always!

You're right, though, OMW. Melrose just had too much to overcome this season... Henry County obviously played a great game and was just too much for this young Melrose squad to handle.

What does Melrose look like for next year...any idea, OMW?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of success to your Son's team. Ya'll must be very excited, to say the least!

P.S......... Please keep us posted on your Son's team, post-season results.

Edited by TraderB

I`m glad to see someone finally beat Melrose from our region. As a JCM fan it`s been tough to swallow the last 3 years because Melrose has been the team that has knocked us out. JCM has been strong the 3 previous years but Melrose has been a bit stronger. I`d gladly put any of the JCM teams of the 3 previous years up against this one. But alas the stars just didn`t align right. The year that JCM is down and didn`t make the playoffs is the year that Melrose was down too. Losing guys like Graig Cooper and Ricky Borner makes a difference. I`m really happy for HC. They are peaking. Heck they aren`t really peaking, they are just getting better under Gaddis. They have the opportunity to become a real powerhouse. I hope the stars stay aligned for them this week.