You've got to be Kidding?

splainshornets

Morgan County: WCHS parents ask for coaching change

By JUDY UNDERWOOD/Morgan County News Editor

Some parents and grandparents are asking for a coaching change at Central High.

A couple of them spoke before the Morgan County Board of Education Monday night and shared some concerns and complaints during the workshop session.

Fred Rose, whose grandson is scheduled to graduate from Central this spring, was the first to speak.

"I think our football program has wallowed in the mud long enough."

Rose said he does not agree with those who say the

Wartburg team cannot compete in its district.

"If we had a coach with assistants on the sidelines we could compete," he added.

"The coaches are not doing their job ... he needs to step down."

Tom Niner, whose son is a junior, also addressed the board.

Niner says he believes

Wartburg Coach Larry Davis "has lost his passion."

"I really feel this situation should be treated no differently than when an educator no longer has the passion to teach," Niner said.

"It's not all about football it's about life after football ... coaches should build their athletes to a high standard," he said.

Coach Larry Davis came to Wartburg in 1995. He has just completed his 12th season as the Bulldog's head football coach.

During those 12 years, he has won 44 games and lost 82, made four playoff appearances and collected six county championships.

He has led the Bulldogs to three winning seasons in 1995, 2001 and 2002. In 1996 and 2003 the Bulldogs were even on wins and losses.

The Bulldogs have not won a game in two years.

Rose and Niner had gotten the horse before the cart by going to the Board before they spoke to Principal Dallas Davis and Director of Schools Mike Davi

A principal recommends coaches and the director of schools actually hires the coach. The ability to dismiss a coach also lies with the director of schools.

Rose and Niner were advised by Chairman Terry Armes that they should follow the Board's policy and take their complaint to the principal.

Dallas Davis said Tuesday that he has not received the complaint and cannot comment until he sees what their concerns are.

He said they can rest assured that he will listen to their concerns and take them under advisement.

Mike Davis said that normally he hires teachers in April for the coming school year. He added that he believes this situation can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Neither the principal nor the director of schools has spoken with Larry Davis about what his plans are.

The News attempted to reach Larry Davis for comment at Central Middle School where he works but he was not available.

If this situation is not resolved at the school level or by the director of schools, the parents may bring their complaint back to the school board for a hearing.

Edited by splainshornets

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should fire the coach!! My son is not getting enough playing time and these losses would be wins if he played.

OK just kidding but seriously I am sure some coaches get so sick of listening to parents complain. Now if they do review the coach and find that he really does not have the passion I could see it but just the fact that it has been said will raise alot of eyebrows even if the coach is doing all he and the other coaches can think of to turn it around.

If you don't do your job at work, you get fired. It should be no different with coaches. I'm not sure how anyone can claim that 0-20 is even REMOTELY close to doing his job.

As if it is all up to the coach.... And no, I am not a coach, I am a parent.

A coach is given a group of boys much like a potter is given a lump of clay. The skill of the potter determines what CAN be done with that clay but the quality of the clay itself determines how it turns out. A coach has to have guys with ability and talent to make a team with a winning record and parental support also.

Maybe this coach doesn't have the skill it takes to mold the boys into a winning team. His past record doesn't seem to support that but if he has lost his passion, that could explain it.

You can't judge the coach by the win/loss record any more than you can by any one player's performance.

His first JOB is to TEACH these students, second is Coach Football. None of the partisans are complaining about his classroom abilities.

Come on sphornet, you can't really believe that. How many footbal coaches keep or lose their jobs based on classroom performance? That may be the Lindsey line but everybody knows better, even you. Are you just trying to stir it up a little?