You've got to be Kidding?

splainshornets

I have no Dog in this fight(pardon the pun).

Okay, he's been there since '95? Gone to the playoffs 4x. How were the Dogs before his hire, say the previous 10 years ? From '85-'95. Is there some tradition? I thought Coalfield is the one w/ tradition? And I think a lot of this is because Coalfield 1)is more successful, in football 2) the proximity of the 2 schools.

Who are the Dogs more talented than? Of the teams they played this year? Catholic? Harriman? My goodness!! They had 8 opponents that are in the playoffs!

If he does get relieved of his coaching duties, who would be in line for the job? Morgan County is not a very high paying school system. It would more than likely be a local, probably already teaching in the system.

Who ever has this job next year, it will be much the same record-wise. Might pick up a win, but no miracles. Very tough region.

Edited by hopalot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well here is my two cents and thats is about all my opinion is worth....I am not a fan of Wartburg ( nothing against them , I just do not support that team) . I do not have any ties to Wartburge in any form. I did attend a game there this year and I sorta felt sorry for the team. the team looked pretty under tallented but with room and ability to grow. we went thru the same thing here a couple of years ago but the fans and players stuck it out and now we are in our second straight playoff season.....things will get better and from what I hear Coach Davis is a fine coach. It is just plain ole part of the game to have down season with some schools having more than others. football is just a stepping stone for a majority of these kids and I feel a coach should see to it that they have the best time possible while achieving the best performance they can. the rewards will come. As many of you all know filling a coaches position in most Tennessee schools is hard. I am sure your coaches salary is not much better than ours and ours stinks....and then when you change coaches he can not always bring his assistance because there has to be an opening in the school system for that coach to fill....please be patient....good things will come to WCHS...

Yeah, good things will come to WCHS ......with a new coach! I don't know where you heard that he is a fine coach at, but I believe you were a bit misled!! I'm sure the hiring process is very detailed and complicated but I would rather see a custodian coach Wartburg next year than Larry Davis!! THE BOTTOM LINE is that it is time for a change in Wartburg football-PERIOD!!!!!!

I truly believe Larry Davis can match his Xs & Os; however, the game of football requires you to have Jimmys & Joes!! And in the case of Coach Davis, his program does not currently have the Jimmys and Joes to compete in a global society, or in this case, Region 2 2A! Just look at some of the Jimmys and Joes the 'Dawgs have been competing against the past 2 years: Harrison Smith at Catholic, Hawkins at Loudon, Davis at Coalfield, Goins at Harriman, the entire roster from Alcoa--Warren, Lindsay, Shiverdecker, Sykes, and many, many others, and I know Sweetwater has a Latham, Oneida had a committee, and Rockwood & CAK have playmakers as well--I just don't know any names off the top of my head. Help me out here KingBrian or GooseVol: I hate leaving out GREAT players!

Losses

Oneida (5-5)--playoffs

Coalfield (10-0)--playoffs

Rockwood (5-5)

Harriman (7-3)--playoffs

Sweetwater (7-3)--playoffs

Catholic (10-0)--playoffs

Alcoa (8-2)--playoffs

CAK (7-3)--playoffs

Loudon (8-2)--playoffs

Oliver Springs (1-9)

Gosh! They didn't play a team with an overall losing record until game 10! :D

As if it is all up to the coach.... And no, I am not a coach, I am a parent.

A coach is given a group of boys much like a potter is given a lump of clay. The skill of the potter determines what CAN be done with that clay but the quality of the clay itself determines how it turns out. A coach has to have guys with ability and talent to make a team with a winning record and parental support also.

Maybe this coach doesn't have the skill it takes to mold the boys into a winning team. His past record doesn't seem to support that but if he has lost his passion, that could explain it.

You can't judge the coach by the win/loss record any more than you can by any one player's performance.

well let me put it in clay/potter terms.. coach davis is the potter, and the lump of clay he has been given isnt worth two poops in a port a pot.. wartburg just doesnt have the talent right now.. everyone goes through slumps.. coach Davis know the game.. but it does matter how much you know, if you dont have the talent to play, you cant win ballgames...

I truly believe Larry Davis can match his Xs & Os; however, the game of football requires you to have Jimmys & Joes!! And in the case of Coach Davis, his program does not currently have the Jimmys and Joes to compete in a global society, or in this case, Region 2 2A! Just look at some of the Jimmys and Joes the 'Dawgs have been competing against the past 2 years: Harrison Smith at Catholic, Hawkins at Loudon, Davis at Coalfield, Goins at Harriman, the entire roster from Alcoa--Warren, Lindsay, Shiverdecker, Sykes, and many, many others, and I know Sweetwater has a Latham, Oneida had a committee, and Rockwood & CAK have playmakers as well--I just don't know any names off the top of my head. Help me out here KingBrian or GooseVol: I hate leaving out GREAT players!

Losses

Oneida (5-5)--playoffs

Coalfield (10-0)--playoffs

Rockwood (5-5)

Harriman (7-3)--playoffs

Sweetwater (7-3)--playoffs

Catholic (10-0)--playoffs

Alcoa (8-2)--playoffs

CAK (7-3)--playoffs

Loudon (8-2)--playoffs

Oliver Springs (1-9)

Gosh! They didn't play a team with an overall losing record until game 10! :thumb:

One reason could be that Wartburg played the toughest schedule in all of 2A ball.

I feel your pain LA has played the toughest schedule in 3A the last 2 years. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out why both of our schools struggle. They both are playing against teams with tons of talent yr in yr out.

LA moved to region 2 3A last year. Fulton -Catholic - Austin East you know the rest. After barely making the play-offs last year got on a roll and won the state with one of the best teams LA has ever put on the field. We just barely made the play-offs with probably the best team in schools history.

I'm sure Livingston is not to much bigger than Wartburg but the small rural schools like us have a hard time competing against teams that has talent walking the hallways that could start on our teams and don't even play.

I'm thinking it's not the coaching that has caused our schools to have bad records it's the talent level. We both are playing against schools that have DI PROSPECTS ON THEM EVERY YEAR.

Gamble and Winstead,You've got to be kidding!!!! Larry Davis has won the county championship 6 times. I'ld bet that is more than both of them combined and you mention these guys as great coaches,they didn't play Alcoa.

Bottom line when Davis came in the team was awful. He turned the program around 3-3 vs Coalfield in the last 6 years, and had beaten all the teams in his reg. at one time or another. He is an Excellent coach.

Wartburg fan is being rediculous! I'm not shocked that the program is 0-20 over the last 2 years. I'm shocked that a man exists that can take them to the playoffs 4 times in 12 years. Now that's amazing. I HOPE HE QUITS. Then who will you blame for little johnny or bobby being completely lacking in talent and unable to play with the likes of Brandon Warren.

After all I've read on here that Larry Davis has stopped us from winning State, GET REAL, we're still WARTBURG and the sport doesn't involve a round ball that bounces. So, chances are we won't be very successful ever.

Edited by Thetruth2006