South Pittsburg?

MC1170

Yeah, we all know...stellar track program at Sequatchie County. Tons of speed. You brought that on yourself by questioning the speed of the players at So. Pitt. To be honest no real speed in the Valley to speak of. A lot of supposed 4.4-4.5 that end up being 4.8-4.9. I have heard it all my life. 3 players have been 4.5 that I can remember in the last 25 years. Chubb, P.Hutchins, and Pickett. Any others are 4.6 or better. Still a ton of talent though. More than in Dunlap, even though Dunlap has always had a lot of good players.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we all know...stellar track program at Sequatchie County. Tons of speed. You brought that on yourself by questioning the speed of the players at So. Pitt. To be honest no real speed in the Valley to speak of. A lot of supposed 4.4-4.5 that end up being 4.8-4.9. I have heard it all my life. 3 players have been 4.5 that I can remember in the last 25 years. Chubb, P.Hutchins, and Pickett. Any others are 4.6 or better. Still a ton of talent though. More than in Dunlap, even though Dunlap has always had a lot of good players.

One of the South Pittsburg guys brought up track. If he'd said line them up for sprints, there wouldn't have been much to come back with. I heard about speed all year long, if that's all there was to the game Howard would be the one of the best in Chattanooga every season.

Edited by Indian

Bo Haden, Johnny Sisco, Carl Lehr if you want to compile of SP speed. Maybe Eddie Moore.

I don't ever remember South Pittsburg finishing higher than Sequatchie in any track meet. There's more to track than the 100 meter, even though that's the event everyone focuses on, same as in football, there's more than sweeps with 4.6 players. I can think of 5 different guys from Sequatchie who went to the state in track in the last 5 years, how many from SP?

Old Pirate says REPEAT,REPEAT contact the track coach and bring those speed merchants down!

Old Pirate says (1) he has not seen the speed that you're talking about

(2) the state does have long distance runners

(3) the Pirates are football players 1st with more to do in the

spring than track

(4) the indians need to recruit these so-called speed merchants

to the football team,maybe they could return to respectability

(5) the indian nation will probably blame losing on the coaches

(6) REMEMBER the majority of the Pirates are pups & will be

bigger,stronger and YES faster next year.maybe a spring game

could let you witness a track meet on the football field!!!!!!

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Unbelievably forgot about Eddie. He was a 4.4 something for sure. Bo, Lehr, and Sisco were 4.6 something. I hope that the football braintrust in Seq. Co. doesnt run the new coach off either. They have always been respectable and will return to that point I am sure. I agree with you Indian that there is much more to winning a football game than just team speed. The one thing about it though is that you can certainly win more with it. By the way the new stadium and facilities in Dunlap look really nice. Probably the best in the Valley with the exception to N. Jackson.

From a neutral view of this situation. I think most of you South. Pitt fans forget to realize how young your team is. You are loaded with sophomores. You lose only one or two starters. For the next two years you are going to be a force to be dealt with. Coach Grider is a proven winner period. You guys lost two games to two pretty good football teams, and both scores were probably more lopsided than the should ahave been but that shows youth. This year hurt South Pitt as well because many of your tougher tests this year those teams were down. So trust me South Pitt will be fine and they will be heard for the next two years.

First of all, Gordonsville's is nowhere near 235.

He's about 185, he just plays like he's 235.

Second of all, I was impressed with SP's potential for next year.

#21 scared the bejeezus out of me on the int. and the kickoff return.

SP fans have alot to look forward to next year.

He was listed higher than 185 on the program but I couldn't remember the exact weight and I was going off memory which is not always a good idea for me. Of course I'm using what our FB's are listed at which may be a little generous too. The Temple FB is listed at 235 and he looks about the same size as G'ville's FB. I only know our FB's are smaller than your FB

SP has the speed. We will be a very good team next year, no doubt. Just need to do a few things to get to the next level. I agree, Weatherspoon will turn some heads before he is gone. We will have about 13 seniors and 14-15 Juniors next year so we will be an experienced team. I think we only lose 3-4 starters next year. We will have several Soph's that got alot of playing time this year and a couple of the incoming Freshman will add some depth in a few spots.

Edited by zonepirate

I would also try to throw in more formations, line and I or Spread, Pro set, or a Triple I.

Beside the 2 base sets there is twins, loose (2 wides) and empty (FB slot, 2 wides) and right/left over set. There may be one or two I don't know about or that I am missing. Also deep motion form the base double wing set actually puts them in a wing I set before the snap. You can motion into other sets also. I'm not sure if the HS has it but you could easily motion into the power I from the right/left sets. The Jr high had an ugly (overload) set that was effective for us but I don't know if HS has it

Basically we are not short of formations to run from, just need to be more effective against the better teams

Edited by zonepirate

Agree, I think several our backs/WR's are more in the 4.6-4.7 range which is still really quick. And we have more fast kids than most teams. Very few true 4.4 players even at the higher levels. Overall team speed, linemen and all, is above average but part of that is because we have smaller players. Bigger linemen are typically slower

I know that the team works pretty hard in the offseason and the summer, but I think that with some individual leadership from the older players, or from any of the younger players for that matter that the group can work even harder than they have. I think that more can be demanded from the majortiy of the players from the coaches and from themselves. I think that they take for granted the opportunity that they have. The entire town of So. Pitt is guilty of telling a kid how good he is from the time he able to hold a football in his arms. What they need to be telling them is that you are a big fish in a small pond and the world is out there for you. Take advantage of these opportunities. You have a good talent base in So. Pitt and have the chance every year to compete for a championship. So many kids dont have that same opportunity. It take more than speed and athletic skill to win it all. Winning 9-10 games a year is good, but winning championhips is what its all about. Listen to your coaches, work harder, do your schoolwork so that maybe youll have the chance to play beyond high school, and steer clear of all the distrations that are in the streets. Your time in high school is short. Enjoy the moment and take advantage of every minute!

lol alot more than that chub was a true 4.2 or 4.3 runner...P hutchins wasnt even the fastest on the 94 team, Jeremy Scott, or Donny dalton was, sam picket was fast. johnny sisco ran a 4.4 40, there are 3 players on spitt team not that run a 4.5 under 40...cory Tipton was another speedster, we have always had speed at running back. Johnny sisco trust me ran alot faster than a 4.6.. Zalmer was taken to knoxville and out ran Willie Gault by a half step.

Edited by Geno

lol alot more than that chub was a true 4.2 or 4.3 runner...P hutchins wasnt even the fastest on the 94 team, Jeremy Scott, or Donny dalton was, sam picket was fast. johnny sisco ran a 4.4 40, there are 3 players on spitt team not that run a 4.5 under 40...cory Tipton was another speedster, we have always had speed at running back. Johnny sisco trust me ran alot faster than a 4.6.. Zalmer was taken to knoxville and out ran Willie Gault by a half step.

Gut Wrench Gary says Geno needs to put a sock in it. Gut Wrench Gary says Geno needs to take up another hobby. Where is "The Real Geno"? Not this fake one.