realignment

wreaking havoc

I am not sure how soon it is going to be addressed, but it is coming. If they don't separate the public and privates, the privates should all have to play AAAAA. That would equal the playing field.

Not all recruit athletically, but there are ways around that with academic scholarships, the facilities, the promises of better consideration for colleges, the best coaches money can buy.

It's a shame that public high school coaches have to coach for what they get as supplements.

I'm not sure putting all privates into 5A is really fair to the kids at private schools, unless you are meaning "private" to be private schools the size of Christian Brothers. There are private schools that are much, much smaller than that. See enrollment numbers here:

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/e2007...enrollments.htm

How it's fair for a school like Middle TN Christian (2006 actual enrollment - 171, adjusted to 308 with the multiplier) to be in the same class with Riverdale (1,973), Collierville (2,114), or McGavock (2,592) is beyond me. Can't see any scenario in which that's an equal playing field, not with a 10 to 15:1 ratio difference between the size of the schools. Even if the private school offered scholarships and recruited the entire state, that's a gap that I don't think a small private school can make up. When you throw in the lack of depth that a small school has to draw on when injuries hit, forget about it.

That being said, I think that we will see a split between public and private in 2009 or 2013, primarily as a result of the multiplier rule.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok lets put the private/public school on another thread. lets get back to the realignment of regions. how does everyone feel that 6,7,&8, 2a are going to finish next year

6-2a lewis,fairview, and hickman

7-2a waverly, camden, and huntingdon(not in order,this race will be very tight)

8-2a milan,humboldt,and westview

Edited by LARGEANDINCHARGE

ok lets put the private/public school on another thread. lets get back to the realignment of regions. how does everyone feel that 6,7,&8, 2a are going to finish next year

Of the teams moved, Huntingdon seems to have benefited the most. They should get in each of the next two years. I'd say the Huntingdon/Camden game will probably be for the region title in 07, although you are right that race will be tight. Those 3 should be the top 3 in that region.

Glad that Milan/Huntingdon are going to continue to play. One of the best rivalrys in West TN. Don't overlook Peabody in 8-2A. With the coaching job that Kent Scott has done in the past, they've got a decent shot at getting in as well, if they can beat either Milan, Humboldt, or Westview in the year. He's a heckuva coach.

Fairview also came out smelling like a rose. Adios CPA, Goodpasture, DCA, etc.. Hello Loretto, Richland, etc...

I think it's important to define the word "recruit". You can say all you want "We want you at our school", but there is a difference between that, and saying "We will pay your tuition for you if you'll come attend our school and play ball". That's the difference between DII and DI, I believe? It seems to me that all this "recruiting" that's going on in DI private schools doesn't really do them much good if there's no backing it up with scholarship. Public schools can do that. They can go to people in Florida if they want and say "We want you to move to our district so you can play ball for us" Same way DI private schools can go to the same people in Florida and say "We want you come to our city and attend our school and play ball". SO WHAT!?!? If neither can back it up with monetary support, it's as fair for one as it is for the other.

Edited by defender25

Of the teams moved, Huntingdon seems to have benefited the most. They should get in each of the next two years. I'd say the Huntingdon/Camden game will probably be for the region title in 07, although you are right that race will be tight. Those 3 should be the top 3 in that region.

Glad that Milan/Huntingdon are going to continue to play. One of the best rivalrys in West TN. Don't overlook Peabody in 8-2A. With the coaching job that Kent Scott has done in the past, they've got a decent shot at getting in as well, if they can beat either Milan, Humboldt, or Westview in the year. He's a heckuva coach.

Fairview also came out smelling like a rose. Adios CPA, Goodpasture, DCA, etc.. Hello Loretto, Richland, etc...

I'm going to say that of the teams moved Harpeth benefitted the most! :thumb: Fairview went to the playoffs in the old region. Harpeth won 1 region game in 2 years. They'll have consecutive freshman classes with alot of athletic talent starting next season. That might not translate into wins right off the bat, but it will down the road. ;)

As far as the public/private thing. Public schools have many more D1 scholarships, particularly in football. There are advantages that private schools have over smaller public schools, but I think that fades once you get into 4A and 5A ball because of numbers. JMO

Edited by ksgovols

I truly believe that Hickman may be number 1 in this one….. They are returning 2 of 3 running backs…. 2 or 3 returning on the O-Line….and 9 of 11 on D

This was also a team that had to play some of the best 4a teams in the state last year…..

But only time will tell

i would not bet on just those two. the waverly/camden game in week 10 could turn out to be like the lewis county/camden game has been in the past few years.

I think it's important to define the word "recruit". You can say all you want "We want you at our school", but there is a difference between that, and saying "We will pay your tuition for you if you'll come attend our school and play ball". That's the difference between DII and DI, I believe? It seems to me that all this "recruiting" that's going on in DI private schools doesn't really do them much good if there's no backing it up with scholarship. Public schools can do that. They can go to people in Florida if they want and say "We want you to move to our district so you can play ball for us" Same way DI private schools can go to the same people in Florida and say "We want you come to our city and attend our school and play ball". SO WHAT!?!? If neither can back it up with monetary support, it's as fair for one as it is for the other.

Monetary? Yeah they do just that also in the form of reduced tuition. :lol:

As far as the public/private thing. Public schools have many more D1 scholarships, particularly in football. There are advantages that private schools have over smaller public schools, but I think that fades once you get into 4A and 5A ball because of numbers. JMO

Ok yes they have more in terms of shear volume but in terms of percentage? Only because there are so many more. If you had to rely on private only you would be done.

How many young men play public football? what percentage of them make D1 or even 2 scholarships??

Now how many play private? What percentage of them get scholarships to D1 colleges?

Edited by GoingInsane

Monetary? Yeah they do just that also in the form of reduced tuition. :thumb:

Not DI's :lol: I know hundreds of good, solid, DI private school ball players, and not a single one has reduced tuition. They wish :D And I'm not bashing the publics. I don't know of anyone who gets paid to play ball for a public school either. I'm not bashing anyone. Just stating opinion :D