Covington vs. Dyersburg

trojanfan56

DYERSBURG-14; COVINGTON--0--FACTS AND DATA

1. Dyersburg's defense was the difference--held Covington to 185 yards of total offense and made two key stops on 4th down, blocked a field goal.

2. Covington was 3rd in 7 3-A in total offense and Dyersburg was 2nd. In 2 games against each other, these two offensive teams, playing 8 quarters, scored a total of 17 points, and Covington, which scored 33 against Crockett County last week, was shut out for the second time.

3. Rodney Gude did not play for Covington. One version of his absence was that he was suspended from school for an incident; another was that he sprained his ankle against Crockett. He was very clearly missed, although Jones Hayden and Ronnie Hall both ran the ball well. Hayden was quite a find for the playoffs--hard runner and a tough kid.

4. Covington's one dimensionality killed them. Hoskins was 1 for 13 passing with one interception for a total of 5 yards. In two games against Dyersburg, Covington is 2 for 20 passing, with 4 interceptions and 12 yards.

5. Tyler Caldwell, the Trojan tailback, who was completely shut down by Covington in the 3-0 Trojan win in October, piled up 207 yards on 18 carries, including a 58 yard TD run and and 78 yard run which helped to seal the victory.

6. Dyersburg had 285 yards of total offense with 11 first downs. Each time had 2 turnovers--a fumble and an interception each.

7. The Covington contingent--players, coaches, broadcasters, fans--are the most gracious and pleasant to play, to host, and to deal with. No excuses, no whining.

They act like people who are accustomed to winning and know how to win with style and lose with style.

8. Those of you who saw this game had the pleasure of watching a tremendous group of officials. Those guys were out of Nashville and work OVC games. The game moved along swiftly and smoothly, a total of 6 penalties were called for a grand total of 38 yards.

TO THE DAVID LIPSCOMB PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD:

I know that the arrogant person who posted on this thread, "Bullfrog," or "Bulldog" or "Bull Something-or-the-Other" is not a Lipscomb person. I know your team, coach, and fans are class acts. (I am from the same hometown as Coach McAdams.) I've watched you play many times and we look forward to your coming down and bringing a large crowd. You will be treated well.

As for the boastful poster who came onto this thread, he is proof of what I have come to call "Augielio's Law." Simply stated: "There are more parts of horses in this world than there are whole horses."

Congrats to the Trojans, you played a great game. Chargers, hold your heads up high, you had an outstanding year. About the comments made, Gude did not play because he did suffer a severely sprained ankle last week and he was not 100% and did not practice all week. The Chargers did get Hall back for this one but did not play with the same intensity as displayed last week against Crockett Co. I thought the game was officiated very well. I spoke with several Dyersburg folks after the game and they all gave praises to the Covington fans, players, and coaches. Both of these teams are class acts and will not whine or gripe when things do not go their way. My best wishes to the Trojans next week against Lipscomb. I will be there pulling for ya and wishing ya'll the best as you represent Region 7-3A. Bring the championship back to west tennessee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Dyersburg Trojans...The only team left standing from the rugged Region 7-3A....Good Luck next week...You will hear that David Lipscomb is unbeateable..You will hear that just because they are a private school,they have all the athletes..Forget all about that...Dyersburg can win this game...

Congrats to Covington..You guys pulled a stunner in Alamo last week and had another great season..

A few thoughts about last night's game...

Crowd...Where was everybody??..Has it become boring for Charger fans to make it this far in the playoffs??..The Charger side was far from full...Dyersburg's side wasn't full either..It baffles me that two towns with football teams the caliber of these two can't fill a relatively small stadium....Who was the big guy on the sidelines with the Covington hat on that got talked to by the Dyersburg policeman??

Rodney Gude....I don't know about the school thing,but he was visably limping on the sideline..Looked like an ankle and he was barely able to put any pressure on it..Looked like he was in uniform to test it and have the coaches and trainers make a gametime decision on it...

Dyersburg's offense...Some might say..Where has it gone in the playoffs??..The Trojans have played three of the strongest defenses that you can play...Mitchell-Haywood-Covington..I wouldn't have to play those defenses in consecutive weeks in win-or-go-home situations....Now Lipscomb...LOL...Nobody ever said it would be easy....

Covington's offense....Looks to me like a few more sets and different philosophy on the passing game would well serve this team...You can't just line up and whip everybody at the line of scrimmage at this time of year...Two very questionable play calls on third downs last night might have cost the Chargers a chance to play next week....Third and 3 midway of the third quarter..The Chargers were in their first sustained drive since the first quarter where they had a short field goal blocked...The Chargers call a sweep,I never understand on third down and short why you go wide..You have two plays in essence to go three yards...You cannot go wide on Dyersburg...They lose two or three on the play and have to punt...I would have run #18 up the middle two times and got the first down..It's not a given he would have gotten the first down,but he would have had a better chance than going wide...That ended up not costing them as much because Taylor threw an interception and the Chargers got the ball back deep in Trojan territory..That set up the second questionable call...The Chargers had third and about 4 inside the Trojan 10..They call ANOTHER sweep,lose another yard..The Chargers had to go for it and THEN ran up the middle..#18 came up just short...Why not run the dive first,get the ball within a yard,then run it again??...Coaches sometimes outcoach themselves...Covington has a vanilla scheme on offense..Last night,Hoskens did not have a particularly good night throwing the ball...The Chargers had receivers open..I have seen Dyersburg play four times now..They can be passed on...Their secondary is not their strong suit....

Dyersburg kicking game...The Trojans are very strong in this area of their game...Their punter is deadly at placing the ball inside the five yard line and Youmans is a very accurate FG kicker and they do a really good job with the kick-off team...They don't allow you a return..They rely on their defense to stop you after the squib kick....This could be very big the next couple of weeks....

Dyersburg defense....This is the team's strong suit...I just wonder how they will do when they face a QB who can throw and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage..The Lipscomb team is VERY well coached..They are VERY disciplined..They are VERY used to these late season games...They will be a stern test for the Trojans...

Game Plan for Lipscomb....I would call Mansfield at Huntingdon..I watched Huntingdon beat Lipscomb in the AA state championship a couple of years ago..They did it with a punishing ground game..Terrance Bell broke a state record for rushing yards and TD's in a state championship game..They made Lipscomb look silly...It was a very big mis-match in Huntingdon's favor...I know that was few years ago and this is a different Lipscomb team,but with Dyersburg's big and talented O-Line,they could do the same..Huntingdon didn't have the QB threat that Dyersburg has back then either...The defense will have to step up again...Giles County almost pulled off the upset..Like I said Lipscomb is not unbeatable...Good Luck to the Trojans...You guys are what's left of Region 7-3A...You gotta make it to The Boro to represent....

Edited by backinthaoc

well i can not say enough about the trojans last night they played a great game the first touchdown of the game couldn't get no better i think that was the best play all season and i have been to ever game.....i want to say this to the covington team you showed more sportmenship then any team we have played in the playoffs my hats off to you...and i hope we as dyersburg fans did the same..as for next week well i dont know if i can wait as a fan you have to know the feeling of just knowing you are going to represent all of west tennessee next week. i want the players and the coaches to know what a great job they are doing..and as we have vistors coming into to town let show them that we are proud of our trojans.....and lets fill j c sawyer staduim and make some noise for our dyersburg trojans.......good luck trojans ....see ya friday night...

congradulations to dyersburg for a hard earned win i would have liked to have seen a better result for my chargers but they had a great year just sorry to see it end early they have nothing to hang there heads about also im man enough to eat crow thats why they call it a prediction dont make me right dont make me wrong and will not be the last time that i eat crow im sure but like i said in my post for the crockett game who ever makes it to the boro from 7 3a i will support just bring it back to west tn good luck d-burg and again congrads

Good luck next week Dyerburg, you played an alsome game tonight. Make 7 3A proud, we know you can.

Keep your head up Covingon, you did a good job, go get ready to have another winning season next year!

Charger Pride!

I totally agree h2ofowlslayer.

Congrats to Dyesburg. You guys played great defense Friday night and I wish you all luck against David Lipscomb. Your running game was impressive. But I was mostly impressed with your offensive line. The push you were getting was very visable from the stands.

Covington struggled on offense after the first meeting with Dyesburg for the rest of the year and except for the Crockett game never really recovered. Gude being out hurt Covington but Dyesburg is quick on defense and the first man there made the tackle 95% of the time. It would have been difficult even if Gude would have played.

I agree with some earlier posts where some of the play calling was questionable but none of us in the stands know the kids as well as the coach's. I have read all year long were coach Murphree has said we did not have a game breaker and that hurt us all year. I am still proud of the Chargers and am looking forward to another great year in 2007!

In closing I would love to see the gold trophy come to West TN! Again good luck Trojans and play as hard as you did against us and you should be okay. :lol:

Edited by covingtonron

On behalf of the Covington Chargers I would like to wish Dyersburg the very best next Friday night. Let's bring that trophy back to West Tenn. You were a class organization Friday night and ya'll beat us at every facet of the game. Obviously ya'll got our number. It was blue night for those of us with senior kids playing for the last time but ya'll were very gracious and classy. Thanks :rolleyes:

I would like to congradulate Dyersburg on their big win Friday night. Ya'll beat us in every facet of the game. Obviously ya'll have our number. For some of us it was a very blue night. The last time I'll see my son play as a Charger. However you are a very classy group of kids and coaches. I appreciate your graciousness and class act. Good luck and bring that big trophy back to West Tennessee!

I totally agree h2ofowlslayer.

Congrats to Dyesburg. You guys played great defense Friday night and I wish you all luck against David Lipscomb. Your running game was impressive. But I was mostly impressed with your offensive line. The push you were getting was very visable from the stands.

Covington struggled on offense after the first meeting with Dyesburg for the rest of the year and except for the Crockett game never really recovered. Gude being out hurt Covington but Dyesburg is quick on defense and the first man there made the tackle 95% of the time. It would have been difficult even if Gude would have played.

I agree with some earlier posts where some of the play calling was questionable but none of us in the stands know the kids as well as the coach's. I have read all year long were coach Murphree has said we did not have a game breaker and that hurt us all year. I am still proud of the Chargers and am looking forward to another great year in 2007!

In closing I would love to see the gold trophy come to West TN! Again good luck Trojans and play as hard as you did against us and you should be okay. :D

Thank you, Covington fans. You may already have read my tribute to the Covington people. Definitely a class act in every way. Most of the Dyersburg coaches think Murphree is a good one and that Covington will continue to be a power. Dyersburg and Covington have been squaring off for over a half century of football and I think both schools are glad to have it renewed, regardless of the outcomes.